• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

"Back to school" is going to be a bumpy ride.  Lots of quarantines and at least temporary shifts back to virtual learning I think.  

I feel bad for parents with unvaccinated kids.  Yeah, kids tend to get milder illness or even be asymptomatic, but nobody wants their kid to be the one who gets really sick.  Something I was thinking about is that elementary school kids tend to be in one, maybe 2 classrooms all day, and nobody in that age group has been able to be vaccinated yet.  If someone in the classroom is carrying the virus, that group of kids will have hours to be exposed, potentially taking in a huge viral load.  Unlike middle/high school students who move around the school more and at least some of whom have been vaccinated. 

A counterargument may be that some schools were open in-person last time without having issues.  Yes, but delta is a different animal.  It's going to be harder to stop it in schools and there will be a lot more schools in-person this time, at least to start. 

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

"Back to school" is going to be a bumpy ride.  Lots of quarantines and at least temporary shifts back to virtual learning I think.  

I feel bad for parents with unvaccinated kids.  Yeah, kids tend to get milder illness or even be asymptomatic, but nobody wants their kid to be the one who gets really sick.  Something I was thinking about is that elementary school kids tend to be in one, maybe 2 classrooms all day, and nobody in that age group has been able to be vaccinated yet.  If someone in the classroom is carrying the virus, that group of kids will have hours to be exposed, potentially taking in a huge viral load.  Unlike middle/high school students who move around the school more and at least some of whom have been vaccinated. 

A counterargument may be that some schools were open in-person last time without having issues.  Yes, but delta is a different animal.  It's going to be harder to stop it in schools and there will be a lot more schools in-person this time, at least to start. 

I can tell you that last year there were no examples in our circle of parents of any outbreaks in schools that were in-person even if one or two kids tested positive. It never spread beyond that. It was always a concern, and frankly I expected it to happen as well but it never did. It was kind of interesting. I can’t tell how much of it was the restrictions versus kids just being almost immune to this thing. They are not the vectors people assumed they were early on. 

So it sounds like the rapid 15 min tests are gone now? Is that what you guys are seeing? Last two people who told me they got tested told me they have to wait 3 days for results, like the old days. We never got tested so I don’t know much about the process and options. I always figured that the rapid test was a joke. Wonder how many false cases that the thing drummed up?

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Massachusetts mandated in person, 5 days a week. 
My kids went to private school last year. 5 days, full time. One kindergartner was out with the COVID sniffles for a week. That’s it. No teacher or staff had it. And no adult was vaxed until at least March/April. 
Kids need to be back in school. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

So it sounds like the rapid 15 min tests are gone now? Is that what you guys are seeing? Last two people who told me they got tested told me they have to wait 3 days for results, like the old days. We never got tested so I don’t know much about the process and options. I always figured that the rapid test was a joke. Wonder how many false cases that the thing drummed up?

Rapid test is fine. There should be a good one by now. If there’s not, it’s malfeasance. There’s been plenty of time to make a good one. That’s the way they test for the flu. Rapid test using lateral flow methodology. This is what we should be using instead of that horse shyte PCR test. A rapid antigen test would tell you who is actually shedding enough virus to infect others. 

I have a friend in Tampa who is 38 and has covid right now. This is part of his post on Facebook 

“ been stuck in the house for a week now, barely eating, trying to keep the fevers down, crazy crazy pain.This is pretty much the worst I've ever felt in my life. It's hard to keep a single thought in my cloudy head. Promise I'll catch up soon. Stay safe guys!

healthy and not overweight but unvaxxed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

There are other illnesses still out there that can make you tired and feel ill for 24-48 hrs. Not everything has to be COVID

11 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

There are other illnesses still out there that can make you tired and feel ill for 24-48 hrs. Not everything has to be COVID

I mentioned this many pages back.   While we were in Chicago  5 of 8 of us in the house we were in got sick-all tested negative.   All 5 had colds.   I was fortunately unaffected but my wife and daughter got it.   Summer upper respiratory viruses going wild this year.   Any data on the Southern Hemisphere flu season?   Last year it was practically non existent as it was here during our cold season.

26 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

My wife went to a friend's bday party with a dozen or so of her close friends. Almost everyone felt tired and not right in the days after. Majority were vaccinated. 

People here have reported the same. Many people were like it feels exactly like I did after my 2nd shot. I highly doubt it's something else..

The end take is if your young and healthy the vaccine seems to be working. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BrianW said:

My wife went to a friend's bday party with a dozen or so of her close friends. Almost everyone felt tired and not right in the days after. Majority were vaccinated. 

People here have reported the same. Many people were like it feels exactly like I did after my 2nd shot. I highly doubt it's something else..

The end take is if your young and healthy the vaccine seems to be working. 

Same thing with my entire vaxxed family. Seeing some of them today and several have the “mystery cold.”

56 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There was a brutal cold or flu going around here a month or so ago.

yup, my entire family had it....nasty cough, runny noses, achiness, fevers in a couple of us, took a couple days to kick, then the coughs lingered for 1-2 weeks. I somehow ended up with Lyme on top of it, so antibiotics on top of it all didn't help. I'm vaccinated, 3 kids are not and neither was my wife at the time (pregnant). Most of us took pcr tests, 5 in total, all came back negative. So what ever it was, was highly infectious as we are really careful with my wife being pregnant.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

yup, my entire family had it....nasty cough, runny noses, achiness, fevers in a couple of us, took a couple days to kick, then the coughs lingered for 1-2 weeks. I somehow ended up with Lyme on top of it, so antibiotics on top of it all didn't help. I'm vaccinated, 3 kids are not and neither was my wife at the time (pregnant). Most of us took pcr tests, 5 in total, all came back negative. So what ever it was, was highly infectious as we are really careful with my wife being pregnant.

It’s delta. Seems unlikely everyone has a mystery bad cold in July/August…

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

It’s delta. Seems unlikely everyone has a mystery bad cold in July/August…

Except in Chicago, where 5 had similar symptoms and tested negative.  Plus Spanks45's family with 5 negs.  Suppose all 10 were false negatives?  Reports of loss of taste/smell?  (Or does Delta not have that to the same degree?)  Undoubtedly some of the malaise cases are delta, but as others have posted, there's other viruses out there and full de-masking (for a disappointingly short time) after a year-plus maybe brought out those "normal" critters.
I had my "summer" cold start on June 10, two days after a full staff get-together in Orono, 45+, masked indoors except for meals.  Classic tamarack cold protocol though worse than average: wicked sore throat on day 1, deep chest cough D2, heavy dry cough D3, followed by decreasing dry cough for the next month.  :(

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Here’s the weird thing, me and my kid and a lot of people I know had it and a many of us tested negative for Covid but some tested positive. 
That’s when I began to doubt the accuracy of the PCR tests.

• Like 1

If you were sick like a month ago and are in a highly vaccinated state, odds are it wasn't delta.

For someone who has generally downplayed covid, it's a bit strange that Phin wants to attribute every illness to it.  Seems a little obsessed about doing that and I'm not sure why.  Maybe it's an attempt to say "see, that thing you had was covid and it was no big deal."

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

If you were sick like a month ago and are in a highly vaccinated state, odds are it wasn't delta.

For someone who has generally downplayed covid, it's a bit strange that Phin wants to attribute every illness to it.  Seems a little obsessed about doing that and I'm not sure why.  Maybe it's an attempt to say "see, that thing you had was covid and it was no big deal."

Covid or not, whatever was going around out here four to six weeks ago was still a pretty big deal. I was down for three days straight and then had a hacking cough for about three weeks.