Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

2 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Hawaii has one of the country’s most comprehensive mask mandates and a highly effective vaccine campaign. Despite that, Covid-19 cases on the islands are climbing with a ferocity that’s outstripping every other U.S. state

Delta doing what it does. I’m sure 99.9999999999% of the cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are the unvaccinated though. No worries. 

3 hours ago, MacChump said:

How's the food?

So far it has been decent. Expensive but the prices include tax and you don’t tip.  We just ate some fish sandwiches for a late lunch. Each one was around $23.  So that would be around an $18 sandwich at home?

Had some excellent pastries and coffee our first morning. Lunch was meh at a museum.  Dinner I had trout. Best trout I’ve had I think. 

Yesterday and today we had breakfast at the hotel.  Decent continental style. We are lunch yesterday at a tomato greenhouse.  Excellent food.  I had tomato beer and tomato ice cream. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

So far it has been decent. Expensive but the prices include tax and you don’t tip.  We just ate some fish sandwiches for a late lunch. Each one was around $23.  So that would be around an $18 sandwich at home?

Had some excellent pastries and coffee our first morning. Lunch was meh at a museum.  Dinner I had trout. Best trout I’ve had I think. 

Yesterday and today we had breakfast at the hotel.  Decent continental style. We are lunch yesterday at a tomato greenhouse.  Excellent food.  I had tomato beer and tomato ice cream. 

Tomato beer… what is the closest analog here in the states? Something malty?

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Tomato beer… what is the closest analog here in the states? Something malty?

Sadly, it tasted like (going by old memory) something like Killian’s Irish Red ?   (Fake stuff by Coors). I think the server brought the wrong one. He said there was a red brew and a green.  The green was supposedly more flavorful.  What he brought looked red and was...bland?

I did try a brand here called Einstock Pale Ale that was excellent. 

• Like 3

We then drove 2.5 hours from Vik (tiny town) through 200+ km of pretty much nothing. Such incredible swaths of the most incredibly bizarre flat landscape covered by moss and lava rock with distant mountains.  Felt like another planet. 

We then reached our destination by the Jökulsárlón glacier.    We will be kayaking that in the morning.  Our air b n b has a small (but tall) waterfall behind it and overlooks the distant ocean

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We then drove 2.5 hours from Vik (tiny town) through 200+ km of pretty much nothing. Such incredible swaths of the most incredibly bizarre flat landscape covered by moss and lava rock with distant mountains.  Felt like another planet. 

We then reached our destination by the Jökulsárlón glacier.    We will be kayaking that in the morning.  Our air b n b has a small (but tall) waterfall behind it and overlooks the distant ocean

And HubbDave never returned to Worcester County ever again.  He ended up buying the Air Bnb.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

New CDC Study: Vaccination Offers Higher Protection than Previous COVID-19 Infection

In today’s MMWR, a study of COVID-19 infections in Kentucky among people who were previously infected with SAR-CoV-2 shows that unvaccinated individuals are more than twice as likely to be reinfected with COVID-19 than those who were fully vaccinated after initially contracting the virus. These data further indicate that COVID-19 vaccines offer better protection than natural immunity alone and that vaccines, even after prior infection, help prevent reinfections.

“If you have had COVID-19 before, please still get vaccinated,” said CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky. “This study shows you are twice as likely to get infected again if you are unvaccinated. Getting the vaccine is the best way to protect yourself and others around you, especially as the more contagious Delta variant spreads around the country.”

The study of hundreds of Kentucky residents with previous infections through June 2021 found that those who were unvaccinated had 2.34 times the odds of reinfection compared with those who were fully vaccinated.  The findings suggest that among people who have had COVID-19 previously, getting fully vaccinated provides additional protection against reinfection.

Additionally, a second publication from MMWR shows vaccines prevented COVID-19 related hospitalizations among the highest risk age groups. As cases, hospitalizations, and deaths rise, the data in today’s MMWR reinforce that COVID-19 vaccines are the best way to prevent COVID-19.

COVID-19 vaccines remain safe and effective. They prevent severe illness, hospitalization, and death. Additionally, even among the uncommon cases of COVID-19 among the fully or partially vaccinated vaccines make people more likely to have a milder and shorter illness compared to those who are unvaccinated. CDC continues to recommend everyone 12 and older get vaccinated against COVID-19.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Nice. The tomatoes beer is nuts. I’ve had Einstok porter which is pretty good. If you see any fermented blubber beer or something be sure to give a review. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

There is a thread on this very board where people of the same exact social and political persuasion are taking bets on which one of us will die first. 

Talk about a collection of the board losers, damn. Read that thread and laughed.  Same old people spouting the same old worn out lines from Eastern. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

New CDC Study: Vaccination Offers Higher Protection than Previous COVID-19 Infection

In today’s MMWR, a study of COVID-19 infections in Kentucky among people who were previously infected with SAR-CoV-2 shows that unvaccinated individuals are more than twice as likely to be reinfected with COVID-19 than those who were fully vaccinated after initially contracting the virus. These data further indicate that COVID-19 vaccines offer better protection than natural immunity alone and that vaccines, even after prior infection, help prevent reinfections.

“If you have had COVID-19 before, please still get vaccinated,” said CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky. “This study shows you are twice as likely to get infected again if you are unvaccinated. Getting the vaccine is the best way to protect yourself and others around you, especially as the more contagious Delta variant spreads around the country.”

The study of hundreds of Kentucky residents with previous infections through June 2021 found that those who were unvaccinated had 2.34 times the odds of reinfection compared with those who were fully vaccinated.  The findings suggest that among people who have had COVID-19 previously, getting fully vaccinated provides additional protection against reinfection.

Additionally, a second publication from MMWR shows vaccines prevented COVID-19 related hospitalizations among the highest risk age groups. As cases, hospitalizations, and deaths rise, the data in today’s MMWR reinforce that COVID-19 vaccines are the best way to prevent COVID-19.

COVID-19 vaccines remain safe and effective. They prevent severe illness, hospitalization, and death. Additionally, even among the uncommon cases of COVID-19 among the fully or partially vaccinated vaccines make people more likely to have a milder and shorter illness compared to those who are unvaccinated. CDC continues to recommend everyone 12 and older get vaccinated against COVID-19.

This is interesting.  Some limitations with the study but it does seem to poke a hole in the idea that "I already had covid so I don't need the vaccine", especially for people who had covid like a year ago. 

I think changes in someone's state of health over time are also worth considering.  If an unvaccinated person had covid and got through it, but in the meantime has developed leukemia, do you wanna take a chance on remaining unvaccinated?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This is interesting.  Some limitations with the study but it does seem to poke a hole in the idea that "I already had covid so I don't need the vaccine", especially for people who had covid like a year ago. 

I think changes in someone's state of health over time are also worth considering.  If an unvaccinated person had covid and got through it, but in the meantime has developed leukemia, do you wanna take a chance on remaining unvaccinated?

Well, it doesn't agree with what existing studies and stats are out there, and there are a few holes, but with that said this is at least a piece of actual science that supports vaccination after at least 6mos since a previous case.   So it's not the slam dunk but it's something.

3 minutes ago, radarman said:

Well, it doesn't agree with what existing studies and stats are out there, and there are a few holes, but with that said this is at least a piece of actual science that supports vaccination after at least 6mos since a previous case.   So it's not the slam dunk but it's something.

A lot of conflicting data out there, especially from overseas. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Talk about a collection of the board losers, damn. Read that thread and laughed.  Same old people spouting the same old worn out lines from Eastern. 

If that’s true that shows you what a bunch of low life , socially inept and mentally incompetent group that they are. I’ll never waste a second looking at whatever thread that is, but I can guess who they are and I would be willing to bet a significant amount of money most of them start near Plainfield NJ and end up around DC to BWI. The sludge and dredge of society and folks that when they look at themselves in the mirror hate everything they see. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The CDC needed to release something like this to get the vaccine narrative back on track. They really should just focus on deaths though. 
Meeting my grad school advisor soon for dinner. We both know the chief of respiratory lab at cdc. He was lab mate of mine and student of my advisor 20yrs ago. Look forward to the covid discussion

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1