Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

18 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I would have had no idea I had covid if it wasn’t for the loss of taste and smell. I wasn’t sick.

I did to...I felt crappy for a day or two...had a whopping high temp of 99.2....but I did get that soreness between my shoulders like I slept wrong 

31 minutes ago, correnjim1 said:

I had Covid.....I've had worse hangovers 

It’s crazy the wide range of outcomes.  My soon to be brother in law’s father is still in the hospital from COVID.  It’s been 7 months now.  Recurring pneumonia though he’s been off a ventilator for a couple months.  In his 50s, and before it’s asked not morbidly obese… average dude, probably could lose 10-15 pounds but picture an average dude walking 18 holes on the golf course.

My sister has already delayed their wedding for a second time as they won’t get married until he can attend.  New date is next April.

This isn’t a commentary on policy or how we should deal with COVID, but it has hit some hard.  His wife barely had a cold, he ends up in the hospital for 7 months.

• Sad 1

I’m a bit confused. Why is there still so much consternation and frustration with COVID from some? Yes, it’s a topic on the news and for most that’s all it is. Life continues as normal for most. Workers are returning to offices. Fenway is packed for concerts. Restaurants are at capacity. We have members traveling internationally…right now. I get it. The virus sucks. But don’t let it consume your life…and this thread. 

Farmers Almanac came out with its winter forecast…front end winter on tap?

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s crazy the wide range of outcomes.  My soon to be brother in law’s father is still in the hospital from COVID.  It’s been 7 months now.  Recurring pneumonia though he’s been off a ventilator for a couple months.  In his 50s, and before it’s asked not morbidly obese… average dude, probably could lose 10-15 pounds but picture an average dude walking 18 holes on the golf course.

My sister has already delayed their wedding for a second time as they won’t get married until he can attend.  New date is next April.

I'm sorry to hear that 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, correnjim1 said:

I'm sorry to hear that 

It’s definitely a bizarre illness.  Both of my sisters have had it… healthy 20s and 30s.  One just lost taste and smell and the other had a strong week long flu and so did her fiancé.  I think they had it worse as they were in the first initial April working in NYC hospitals group when It seemed even healthy folks were have strong flu reactions.  

16 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

I’m a bit confused. Why is there still so much consternation and frustration with COVID from some? Yes, it’s a topic on the news and for most that’s all it is. Life continues as normal for most. Workers are returning to offices. Fenway is packed for concerts. Restaurants are at capacity. We have members traveling internationally…right now. I get it. The virus sucks. But don’t let it consume your life…and this thread. 

Farmers Almanac came out with its winter forecast…front end winter on tap?

Seen today… 

FE762416-89F6-4574-AAF6-4A6F77C6BEEA.jpeg.b1fb85d78562ae7319f8e975686c3435.jpeg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s definitely a bizarre illness.  Both of my sisters have had it… healthy 20s and 30s.  One just lost taste and smell and the other had a strong week long flu and so did her fiancé.  I think they had it worse as they were in the first initial April working in NYC hospitals group when It seemed even healthy folks were have strong flu reactions.  

Alpha is stronger than Delta. 

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I got it a family gathering the Sunday before Christmas my aunt was the spreader lol....my aunt and uncle had Flu like symptoms...my cousin got it like me her fiancee nothing...my other cousin nothing..my mother nothing...so it is very strange on who gets it and how bad 

600 deaths so far today, and usually the higher death days come at the end of the week as anyone who has been following knows by now.  2 weeks ago, we were averaging about 40k cases per day.  I am not saying that cases/hospitalizations/deaths track like how they used to, but anyone still want to argue that there won't be a significant jump in deaths in the coming weeks?  Things are setting up for near/over 1000 per day eventually. 

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Breakthrough cases are clearly being way undercounted in this country. It's up for debate why this is happening. There is strong evidence from the UK and Israel that infers there are many more breakthrough cases here than just the couple hundred that have received media attention so far. 

I think people need to accept they aren't bulletproof. But still, they increase the odds of a mild case..and I've read the viral load does not last as long vs someone who is unvaccinated. So although transmissible while vaccinated, it's probably less likely. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

600 deaths so far today, and usually the higher death days come at the end of the week as anyone who has been following knows by now.  2 weeks ago, we were averaging about 40k cases per day.  I am not saying that cases/hospitalizations/deaths track like how they used to, but anyone still want to argue that there won't be a significant jump in deaths in the coming weeks?  Things are setting up for near/over 1000 per day eventually. 

I'm sure you will keep us closely posted with more out-of-context data left hanging in mid-air as this story develops.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Anyone have a good explanation for why Israel reports cases and deaths with details on vaccinated and unvaccinated and mostly the US does not, aside from the explanation that the US is pushing a narrative?

I do know the CDC stopped reporting on breakthrough cases back in May unless they were hospitalized or had died.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I think it's fair to say this is a major topic again because cities and businesses are rapidly adding back restrictions and mandates. Seems at least newsworthy...

I get the newsworthiness, but not the outrage, especially from people around here. There are very few if any public mandates/restrictions here. It’s almost like some just revel in being outraged at the big mean gubmint. It gets old real fast. 

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I'm sure you will keep us closely posted with more out-of-context data left hanging in mid-air as this story develops.

Tell me what you disagree with, Phin.

I just find this particular increase/surge to be frustrating, because there is something out there now (vaccines) unlike previous times.  But you can't drag people to go get it.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Seems pretty convenient.

Pretty sure the breakthrough cases are under reported. Played golf with four guys last week and then went out for dinner and drinks. Two of the guys came down with breakthrough cases. The third tested negative. I didn't even bother getting tested.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Tell me what you disagree with, Phin.

I just find this particular increase/surge to be frustrating, because there is something out there now (vaccines) unlike previous times.  But you can't drag people to go get it.  

My feeling is if they want to get sick let them. I've likely had it and been vaccinated on top of it. The newest study, not peer reviewed, indicates that unvaccinated folks are only twice as likely to catch the virus. Who knows if that will come down even more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kdxken said:

My feeling is if they want to get sick let them. I've likely had it and been vaccinated on top of it. The newest study, not peer reviewed, indicates that unvaccinated folks are only twice as likely to catch the virus. Who knows if that will come down even more.

I'm not even really talking about catching it.  I'm talking more about deaths.  So many of them now and what's to come could've been avoided.

• Like 2