Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah wow, time to end that.  Even the 8-floors of corporate offices and shared workplaces (called the mothership) out in Denver are all admin, desk jobs and they’ve been back for many months.  Jobs that could be done remotely but returned once state’s vax status hit a given level.

Why?

if they are getting work done and meeting deliverables with qualitative results what difference does it make where they do it 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

:clap:

I’d work for you.  I’ve always found that being in the trenches with the employees makes for a performing workforce.  Being remote, staying invisible, not interacting in person… that’s not a leader.  COVID not withstanding. 

Uh oh, be careful. There is a crew here who will call you an out-of-touch micromanaging insecure boss with an attitude like that.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Work revolution cannot be stopped. 

as the saying goes …that’s a ship that has definitely sailed. 

I am seeing some employees who know they can't be easily replaced simply refusing to return. There are also others who are desperate to get back to the regular routine and came in as early and often as they could. Not a one-size-fits-all situation here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Uh oh, be careful. There is a crew here who will call you an out-of-touch micromanaging insecure boss with an attitude like that.

Ha, nah, being in the trenches with the team in the service industry?  That’s how you win respect.  You take the pissed off Dad who’s kids have been azzhats the entire drive and Mom is about to just walk away from the whole thing?  Convince them to relax and have a good time… that’s what they pay you for.  Definitely a difference between a product trying to be manufactured and a product that is an experience.

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Why?

if they are getting work done and meeting deliverables with qualitative results what difference does it make where they do it 

Depends on what it is. A scientific enterprise thrives on daily interaction and face to face working together. We’ve found it very difficult to build a team environment thats needed to do good science and drug discovery on zoom. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, nah, being in the trenches with the team in the service industry?  That’s how you win respect.  You take the pissed off Dad who’s kids have been azzhats the entire drive and Mom is about to just walk away from the whole thing?  Convince them to relax and have a good time… that’s what they pay you for.  Definitely a difference between a product trying to be manufactured and a product that is an experience.

The boss who leads from the front and by example is usually the best. 

• Weenie 1

30 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I am seeing some employees who know they can't be easily replaced simply refusing to return. There are also others who are desperate to get back to the regular routine and came in as early and often as they could. Not a one-size-fits-all situation here.

Well unfortunately the accompanying leverage has less to do with what people want. 

It has to do with what corporations are willing to pay for. The impetus: companies do not want to pay overhead for facilities when all of this has exposed the previous model giant money sink all along. 

Pressure from environmentalist and the very real environmental concern with a carbon footprint is also modulating or modifying those decision making. There is a quantitative energy consumption from the moment somebody leaves the house in the morning to the moment they come home; that entire spectrum of affairs costs environment exactly where the environment cannot afford to spend. Most people who are business owners don’t think about this kind of stuff; they are intrinsically GOP types whether they mean to be or not - unwittingly so. Or they specialized in green renewable space, or they are going to be downsizing, whether they mean to or not.  For companies that come before the environment … we’re coming to a point where the environment started to dictate policy because we have no fing choice and so neither will they 

Anyone who thinks or projects otherwise is on the wrong side of history…

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Depends on what it is. A scientific enterprise thrives on daily interaction and face to face working together. We’ve found it very difficult to build a team environment thats needed to do good science and drug discovery on zoom. 

Well … I guess in that situation you would not be ‘meeting deliverables with qualitative results’ huh  

you wouldn’t expect those people to do things from home and zoom

but… Like I was just saying to Phin … we may not have any choice as a species at a species level 

it seriously all going to have to change and the sooner the better. 

this pandemic has that weird kind of serendipitous timing that will take historians to recognize -because sooner is better and perhaps necessity; it’s really giving us a perfect opportunity to experiment with a new way of thinking about labor and occupation and resource logistics and management across the whole spectrum of industry. Wake up call

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DotRat_Wx said:

It seems inevitable that COVID will have to burn through the population and become endemic. 

It's not gonna go away, it'll get weaker over time as most viruses do and we'll have to move on eventually.

We're fortunate COVID is relatively harmless compared to previous illnesses of the past. I'll take a 0.1-0.3 percent death rate over 5-10% or better. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It seems inevitable that COVID will have to burn through the population and become endemic. 

It's not gonna go away, it'll get weaker over time as most viruses do and we'll have to move on eventually.

Yep.. The sooner we get used to this new monster the better life will be. 

17 hours ago, tamarack said:

The cervid (deer, elk, moose, caribou) version of the prion-caused horror is called Chronic Wasting Disease.  It was fist identified in commercial deer farms in the West, IIRC Colorado, but it's spread to wild populations there and has been found as far east as NY, I think.  Nasty thing about prions is their hardiness; carcasses/bones of infected deer can transmit prions years after the critter's death.  Years ago I saw a pic of a giant pressure-cooker where Wisconsin biologists would cook infected carcasses at high heat.  The thing was 5-6 feet across and the locking lugs looked almost 2" thick.  
So far, I don't think that there's been transmission from cervids to humans.  The human equivalent in Jacob-Creuzfeldt (sp?) disease, that destroys the brain from the inside out and is incurable.

"Zombie Deer", it was first confirmed in NY in 2005. There has been no known transmission thus far to humans. That said, I'm skeptical about eating any venison or elk after seeing some Creutzfeldt-Jakob cases in person. Cuts people down in their prime and they can go from full-time professionals to full dementia in months. If anyone wants some wild reading check out "Kuru," in New Guinea it was another prion that was transmitted amongst local tribes due to cannibalism practices.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

You make it?

34 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Get a beer. You look jet lagged emoji3.png

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Penis museum entrance.   It wasn’t open yet when I took it 

Heads Up??? As always …..

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Chris Graham with the sunset pic of the year at Buttonwoods farm in Griswold Ct. PS the ice cream is off the chart good there as well

20210804_083328.jpg

Awesome picture.  And yes, very good ice cream.  They also have a respectable corn maze down the street in the fall that has caused a few kids in our group to start crying in panic once they realize the adults have lost track of our location on the map.

2 minutes ago, QCD17 said:

Awesome picture.  And yes, very good ice cream.  They also have a respectable corn maze down the street in the fall that has caused a few kids in our group to start crying in panic once they realize the adults have lost track of our location on the map.

Brooklyn Ct hey neighbor 

Heh.. pound for pound deer may be the dumbest mammals alive. I doubt it takes much denting of I.Q there to get one drooling while wondering around doing mobius loops. 

But the zombie-deer is funny euphemism.  you take a big mass with zero higher order intelligence capacity/wholly guided by congenital heredity for impulse, ... cut some wires in the head, while maintaining a heart beat - yeah... I guess that would mimic a zombie. 

Kosher - ing is going to be a technological futures. Particularly if that shit ever got transmissible zoonotically - there's a sci fi novel