Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

Just now, PhineasC said:

There is now a thread in OT for COVID where she is posting (along with Hoosier shaking in his boots over the latest case numbers out of Bulgaria and Bahrain). Her thoughts on COVID are just about what you'd expect. LOL

no doubt she's a 5 mask Karen.....maybe i'll head over there and stir sh!t up myself.....i'm sure she'll love my Covid jokes

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol.. did I do that? I vaguely remember that one. It sure sounds like how my mind and sense of humor works. That’s fantastic. Hope Phinny appreciates that one 

He did hate us. They all did. Before the sub forums there was all sorts of posts. JI posting a thread saying “tracking latest coating to rain event.” 
Metfan posting “obs for slushy inch to rain event” Kevin posting “obs for WSW snow to mix event, weenies rise from southwest to northeast.” :lol: that was real. It was basically your post amid a funeral of threads. 

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

There is now a thread in OT for COVID where she is posting (along with Hoosier shaking in his boots over the latest case numbers out of Bulgaria and Bahrain). Her thoughts on COVID are just about what you'd expect. LOL

When Ian and her conversate on Twitter , I happen to see some of her tweets from his democratic feed and her tweets are enough to make her family wake up one night and leave her alone asleep for a new life and high five each other for the rest of their lives 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

He did hate us. They all did. Before the sub forums there was all sorts of posts. JI posting a thread saying “tracking latest coating to rain event.” 
Metfan posting “obs for slushy inch to rain event” Kevin posting “obs for WSW snow to mix event, weenies rise from southwest to northeast.” :lol: that was real. It was basically your post amid a funeral of threads. 

I wonder if that thread was the reason Ian and Dendy and Randy broke the forums up. It was almost like they just couldn’t handle the hurting . So break em’ up so we don’t admit SNE wins. That is not far too Off from what happened 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You are mixed up.  I was talking about Latvia and Lithuania.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

Dr. Sallis has been very frustrated by this. He believes that many lives would have been saved throughout the pandemic, had health authorities gotten the message out that something as simple as exercising greatly reduces the risk of getting severely ill from Covid.

LOL....60% of this country is overweight and they've been asked to lose weight for as long as I can remember.  Not gonna happen.  Goobermint can't tell them what to do.

10 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

LOL....60% of this country is overweight and they've been asked to lose weight for as long as I can remember.  Not gonna happen.  Goobermint can't tell them what to do.

Actually Dr. Sallis' study was about physical activity level, not body weight. He controlled for all the known risk factors like overweight/obesity, heart disease, smoking, diabetes, etc. The study found that physical inactivity was the biggest modifiable risk factor for severe Covid, even greater than obesity. The study showed that physical fitness level is the most important thing. It makes sense because we know that exercise strengthens the immune system, heart and lungs.

I was in a conference call from 2-3 in a small collaboration room since we have open concept office. The email telling us to mask back up came in at 2:30. I got physically ill somewhat. 
By the time I got off my call, my histo tech had gone down to the lab and brought up a box of surgical masks. All my folks were sitting at their desks with their mask down around their chin. De ju vue from May. That’s what we did before. Pull the thing down somewhat and when we got up to move around we pulled it back up. 
There is no distancing. The conference rooms are full capacity. We can remove the masks in the lunch room when we are all eating together at the same table. But as soon as we go back to our desk or 3 of us in a conference room taking business, it’s mask up. Management is supposed to be made up of smart people, yet this is what we do? 

2 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I was in a conference call from 2-3 in a small collaboration room since we have open concept office. The email telling us to mask back up came in at 2:30. I got physically ill somewhat. 
By the time I got off my call, my histo tech had gone down to the lab and brought up a box of surgical masks. All my folks were sitting at their desks with their mask down around their chin. De ju vue from May. That’s what we did before. Pull the thing down somewhat and when we got up to move around we pulled it back up. 
There is no distancing. The conference rooms are full capacity. We can remove the masks in the lunch room when we are all eating together at the same table. But as soon as we go back to our desk or 3 of us in a conference room taking business, it’s mask up. Management is supposed to be made up of smart people, yet this is what we do? 

here we go again.....this is never going to end

4 minutes ago, correnjim1 said:

here we go again.....this is never going to end

What pisses me off even worse is Massachusetts and Cambridge isn’t under a mandate. Baker said he’s comfortable where we are with our vax rates, low hospitalizations, and low death numbers. Yet a private company is kowtowing to a CDC recommendation. 
Multinational corporations are letting the government tell them how to run their business. 

2 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

What pisses me off even worse is Massachusetts and Cambridge isn’t under a mandate. Baker said he’s comfortable where we are with our vax rates, low hospitalizations, and low death numbers. Yet a private company is kowtowing to a CDC recommendation. 
Multinational corporations are letting the government tell them how to run their business. 

people have to say No....that's it no more lockdowns no more masks

1 minute ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

The government is using private industry to enforce rules they legally/constitutionally cannot.

You see it with free speech all the time. The government can ask the largest online platforms to silence anyone who speaks out of turn against the narrative. It's literally happening all the time now. 

Now they are doing it with physical access to major businesses.

A couple years ago, this would have scared the crap out of Americans. The issue of equal access and protection under the law was settled decades ago during the civil rights movement. But now we are moving backwards on it and no one seems to care because COVID is super scary.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, correnjim1 said:

people have to say No....that's it no more lockdowns no more masks

Easier said than done. They pay my salary so it’s either suck it up or quit. All the local pharma put mandates back on. Merck and Astra Zeneca put there’s back on yesterday. Bristol Myers Squib and Pfizer put it back on last Thursday. I was just waiting for ours. I figured it would be yesterday honestly. 

Pfizer, lol. Of all companies to put an office mask mandate back on vaxed people. The irony.

7 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Easier said than done. They pay my salary so it’s either suck it up or quit. All the local pharma put mandates back on. Merck and Astra Zeneca put there’s back on yesterday. Bristol Myers Squib and Pfizer put it back on last Thursday. I was just waiting for ours. I figured it would be yesterday honestly. 

Pfizer, lol. Of all companies to put an office mask mandate back on vaxed people. The irony.

I love the fresh smell of virtue signaling and pointless hygiene theater in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The government is using private industry to enforce rules they legally/constitutionally cannot.

Isn’t a private company like @WhitinsvilleWX‘s telling their employees to mask up different though?  There’s no gov’t mandate to mask up in his state or his city.

That strikes me to be more about the legal atmosphere in this country where people can sue for anything they want…. not necessarily the gov’t using a private company.  Probably with a side of corporate virtue signaling but it strikes me more as something coming from the legal department.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Isn’t a private company like @WhitinsvilleWX‘s telling their employees to mask up different though?  There’s no gov’t mandate to mask up in his state or his city.

That strikes me to be more about the legal atmosphere in this country where people can sue for anything they want…. not necessarily the gov’t using a private company.  Probably with a side of corporate virtue signaling but it strikes me more as something coming from the legal department.

The Federal government is putting a lot of pressure on companies to take this action. They have been talking about it non-stop. It's not even clear if the Federal government has the authority to "force" private companies to mandate vaccinations, but it looks like it might happen to some degree via this method.

Large businesses like Pfizer and big defense companies have lobbyists on the Hill who hear the chatter that if businesses don't comply they will face penalties or other restrictions on their ability to do business. This is the "soft mandate" I have always talked about.

"Force your employees to get vaccinated or else you will no longer be eligible to apply for Federal grants or bid on government contracts."

Someone might try to weasel word that and say, "Well that company could always just choose to go out of business instead!" but come on. It's a false choice and essentially extortion.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ah, it’s both. What Phin said above is basically correct. Pharma takes govt money in the form of Medicare and Medicaid. If they don’t go along, we’ll…

I just find it funny that Pfizer going to mask mandate ms for vaxed office employees is tantamount to admitting their vax doesnt work. 

• Like 2

Also, I don't think most businesses are viewing a vaccine mandate as a means to reduce liability. If you force someone to get a medical procedure that was not agreed to in their employment agreement, and they get sick from it, you can be sued for a lot of money. It is probably also going to be really problematic to fire someone for refusing the vaccine. 

This is definitely not something a company would do to lower liability, IMO. If you look at how few companies had done this up until now, that's pretty telling, I think. It's not a great business decision unless you are a hospital or something like that. Those places have mandated the flu vax for years so there is precedence there. Did the typical hair salon mandate the flu vaccine before? No, of course not.

Also, I don't think most businesses are viewing a vaccine mandate as a means to reduce liability. If you force someone to get a medical procedure that was not agreed to in their employment agreement, and they get sick from it, you can be sued for a lot of money. It is probably also going to be really problematic to fire someone for refusing the vaccine. 
This is definitely not something a company would do to lower liability, IMO. If you look at how few companies had done this up until now, that's pretty telling, I think. It's not a great business decision unless you are a hospital or something like that.
This is becoming less about human health every day.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The Federal government is putting a lot of pressure on companies to take this action. They have been talking about it non-stop. It's not even clear if the Federal government has the authority to "force" private companies to mandate vaccinations, but it looks like it might happen to some degree via this method.

Large businesses like Pfizer and big defense companies have lobbyists on the Hill who hear the chatter that if businesses don't comply they will face penalties or other restrictions on their ability to do business. This is the "soft mandate" I have always talked about.

"Force your employees to get vaccinated or else you will no longer be eligible to apply for Federal grants or bid on government contracts."

Someone might try to weasel word that and say, "Well that company could always just choose to go out of business instead!" but come on. It's a false choice and essentially extortion.

3 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Ah, it’s both. 

Yeah I'm probably too naive but I mean you see businesses like Family Dollar or Big Lots doing it, they aren't on capitol hill listening to lobbyists and stuff.  It just feels more like this virtue signaling (we aren't going to be called out for not doing enough to protect our employees!) and legal departments saying hey, just like we put a sign up that says wet floor every time a drop hits the tile, we should wear masks to avoid litigation.

I guess my line of thought was how we see it in the ski industry all the time... like a few too many employees get hit in the back of the head with a chairlift due to poor situational awareness.  Now they all have to wear helmets if they are walking or working under the bullwheel.  There are pluses and minuses.  Helmets might even lower your situational awareness by limiting your field of vision and dampen noises that might otherwise clue you into something coming behind you.

But employees put helmets on so that when OSHA comes around or any legal stuff happens it can be said that everything is being done outside of bubble wrapping the lift operators.  I just see it more and more that companies continue to try harder and harder to reduce liability and in my mind masks fit into that.

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

This is definitely not something a company would do to lower liability, IMO. If you look at how few companies had done this up until now, that's pretty telling, I think. It's not a great business decision unless you are a hospital or something like that. Those places have mandated the flu vax for years so there is precedence there. Did the typical hair salon mandate the flu vaccine before? No, of course not.

Yeah for clarity I meant mask mandates.  Nothing about vaccine mandates.  Mask mandates seem like a very easy way to reduce liability and say "see look at us, we tried, we gave them all hand sanitizer and made them put on masks."

11 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Ah, it’s both. What Phin said above is basically correct. Pharma takes govt money in the form of Medicare and Medicaid. If they don’t go along, we’ll…

I just find it funny that Pfizer going to mask mandate ms for vaxed office employees is tantamount to admitting their vax doesnt work. 

I'd be curious to know what your employment agreement says about mandatory vaccines, if anything. I assume the flu vax has always been mandatory there?

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I'm probably too naive but I mean you see businesses like Family Dollar or Big Lots doing it, they aren't on capitol hill listening to lobbyists and stuff.  It just feels more like this virtue signaling (we aren't going to be called out for not doing enough to protect our employees!) and legal departments saying hey, just like we put a sign up that says wet floor every time a drop hits the tile, we should wear masks to avoid litigation.

I guess my line of thought was how we see it in the ski industry all the time... like a few too many employees get hit in the back of the head with a chairlift due to poor situational awareness.  Now they all have to wear helmets if they are walking or working under the bullwheel.  There are pluses and minuses.  Helmets might even lower your situational awareness by limiting your field of vision and dampen noises that might otherwise clue you into something coming behind you.

But employees put helmets on so that when OSHA comes around or any legal stuff happens it can be said that everything is being done outside of bubble wrapping the lift operators.  I just see it more and more that companies continue to try harder and harder to reduce liability and in my mind masks fit into that.

Masks, I agree with you. I could see that being done to reduce liability. Making someone wear a mask does not potentially endanger their well-being or violate their private medical self-determination. Or at least that would be easier to argue in court.

But forcing a medical procedure on someone who did not have that in their employment agreement (with the alternative being termination) is hugely problematic in my experience with labor laws. Many lawsuits are going to come out of this.

• Like 1