Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Hmm, wasn't aware of that debate. I haven't really sampled much local maple syrup so I can't really weigh in. There are several sugar houses right near my place.

All you need are maples, ha.  But I stand by the VT treeskiing!

VT Maple Syrup definitely has the "branding" down better than NY, NH, or ME.... who knows if it's better.  A Mtn Ops coworker just got back from a Hawaii trip... she said the resort they stayed at gave out little mini bottles of syrup with your pancakes or waffles (because no sharing due to COVID, bringing this discussion on-topic).  The syrup said "made in Hyde Park, VT" which is where many of our friends live next to Morrisville.

That is literally the only product that you will find in a place like Hawaii or on a cruise or some type of destination vacation... Vermont maple syrup.  It's branded well.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

All you need are maples, ha.  But I stand by the VT treeskiing!

VT Maple Syrup definitely has the "branding" down better than NY, NH, or ME.... who knows if it's better.  A Mtn Ops coworker just got back from a Hawaii trip... she said the resort they stayed at gave out little mini bottles of syrup with your pancakes or waffles (because no sharing due to COVID, bringing this discussion on-topic).  The syrup said "made in Hyde Park, VT" which is where many of our friends live next to Morrisville.

That is literally the only product that you will find in a place like Hawaii or on a cruise or some type of destination vacation... Vermont maple syrup.  It's branded well.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I wasn't thinking of it that way, but you are right most folks do associate maple syrup with VT, same as people associate Philadelphia with cheesesteaks and the south with BBQ, but obviously any town in the country could make good BBQ or cheesesteaks if they put in the effort and had the ingredients available.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Hmm, wasn't aware of that debate. I haven't really sampled much local maple syrup so I can't really weigh in. There are several sugar houses right near my place.

I doubt there's anyone on Earth who could distinguish the difference between vermont, new hampshire, and Maine maple syrup.

33 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I doubt there's anyone on Earth who could distinguish the difference between vermont, new hampshire, and Maine maple syrup.

There are some passionate syrup'ers out there.  Like I personally can't tell any differences between whiskey shots (except they start to loosen me up), but some people can name types or even brands based on a sip.  That type of dedication seems to happen among syrup too, ha.

You guys ever try anchovies on thin crust ?

man … there’s a brick open oven joint in town here, “Sorrentos” … insane suck pepperoni savory goodness … sauce is authentic - never sweetened so not to interfere with the cheese meat juices .. all on thin smoke charred insanity.

Anchovies added? No words. ‘course … one way ticket to hell if you got gout and hypertension cause of all the uric acid and salt but ya know … calculate your risks - it’s worth it as a treat 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Winter Wizard said:

Hey everyone, just moved to Somerville so figured I'd introduce myself. I'm a degreed meteorologist from Penn State who spent many winters suffering from mid-Atlantic screw jobs and being envious of you New England folks. Hopefully I'll get to join in some of the fun this year. Nice to meet you all! 

Welcome aboard the crazy train

10 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

There was a great pizza place back in the day in the North End called Circle Pizza. It was a mafia front, but the pizza was amazing. Real old school NY style. 

Ha we had one that ended up being part if a French connection mafia joint.  Pizza dough shipped with heroin

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Welp, looks like we need to start vaxxing the deer.

Next we will get a report it has spread to cattle and the beef supply will be wiped out.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02110-8

Out of an abundance of caution, all deer and hunters will be required to mask up out in the wilderness. 

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

De Blasio to announce city vaccine mandate for indoor dining, gyms, drinking.

Alot of business will be lost.  Many people still don't want to get vaccinated.

how the hell will that be enforced? Or will it be on the honor system? because there is no way in hell that poorly paid restaurant employess want anything to do with asking that question. Not to mention there is no way to prove vaccination, aside from an easily forged vaccination card.

2 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

how the hell will that be enforced? Or will it be on the honor system? because there is no way in hell that poorly paid restaurant employess want anything to do with asking that question. Not to mention there is no way to prove vaccination, aside from an easily forged vaccination card.

I agree

This isn't going to work at all.

Just now, SJonesWX said:

It’s a terrible move for businesses to do this. A lot of additional liability and overhead for zero gain. 

15 hours ago, PhineasC said:

That menu looks like a more hip spot. Probably all fair trade ingredients and vegan pizzas. LOL ripping off high young adult dreamers in hip towns is a classic move.

This was the freaking local sub shop in rural southern DE. The pizza isn’t even good. 

Our little town has 2 places that make halfway decent NY-style pizza.  At Sandy River Farm Supply we get 2 large, one pep one sausage, and a 2-liter root beer with a bit of change back from our thirty-dollar bill.  (Can get groceries, hardware, rope and bar-and-chain oil, too, among many other things.)

Don't miss those days, I have PTSD from the conditioning tests

56 years later I still have bad memories of two-a-days in Baltimore's 95/77 wx.  One late (11 PM) evening the radio was reporting 86° with 85% rh - TD of 81 with condensation running down the inner side of the masonry walls where we bunked.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

I read an article that talked about how they tried this in some places in Hawaii, and it ended up being a complete and utter disaster. The restaurants had so many problems that they're no longer enforcing the vaccine requirement.

Bill de Blasio is like a Communist Tyrant. To force people to get a vaccine, for a virus that now has a 99.8% survival rate (which the latest data from the UK shows) to participate in society is horrible. A vaccine that has caused some short term serious events like heart inflammation and blood clots, and we don't know about potential long term risks because the proper long term studies (which are supposed to be many years for vaccines) were skipped due to the emergency.

The most disturbing thing is de Blasio completely denies natural immunity. Despite the fact that many studies have shown that natural immmunity is as good or even better than vaccine immunity. So he wants to force some people to take the risks of a vaccine when they have absolutely no need for it due to natural immunity. Here is an article that shows statistics from Israel that show that natural immunity has outperformed vaccine immunity in that country...

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/309762

• Like 1
  • Haha 1