Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

47 minutes ago, Winter Wizard said:

Hey everyone, just moved to Somerville so figured I'd introduce myself. I'm a degreed meteorologist from Penn State who spent many winters suffering from mid-Atlantic screw jobs and being envious of you New England folks. Hopefully I'll get to join in some of the fun this year. Nice to meet you all! 

Welcome aboard!

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Pick up. It was nuts. I have noticed prices creeping up, but that was a jump for sure. For people on tight budgets each month it must be really tough to get all the food in under budget now. 

I just ordered a salad less than a mile away from a joint in the North End. 15 bucks before tip.

3 minutes ago, Winter Wizard said:

Been here quite a few times and have family in Natick. Decently familiar with the area but any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

I went to HS in North Cambridge right down the street. Davis Sq is a super vibrant area. Very left leaning, very liberal, ton of cool nightlife bars restaurants and just overall living. Very awesome area. Easy access to downtown via the Red Line too. you really can't go wrong. Harvard Sq right down the street too. Just excellent stuff. You're definitely in the right area for coastal front stuff too. Just far enough away from the water where you will see several more inches of snow compared to the immediate coast in a lot of events. 

58 minutes ago, Winter Wizard said:

Hey everyone, just moved to Somerville so figured I'd introduce myself. I'm a degreed meteorologist from Penn State who spent many winters suffering from mid-Atlantic screw jobs and being envious of you New England folks. Hopefully I'll get to join in some of the fun this year. Nice to meet you all! 

Nice to have a fellow "villen" in the house.  BTW winterhill is not always the snowiest part of the city.   (although some bodies are buried there) :D

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Pick up. It was nuts. I have noticed prices creeping up, but that was a jump for sure. For people on tight budgets each month it must be really tough to get all the food in under budget now. 

Noticed the same big jump lately as well. Takeout food seems crazy expensive now. Picked up some wings at a really popular spot and they were $15 for a 10 piece. They were like $7.99 pre covid.   2 bacon burgers and a large fry was $40 at five guys last week. 

3 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Noticed the same big jump lately as well. Takeout food seems crazy expensive now. Picked up some wings at a really popular spot and they were $15 for a 10 piece. They were like $7.99 pre covid.   2 bacon burgers and a large fry was $40 at five guys last week. 

Five guys is like at least 80 bucks for the  six of us. That’s 6 little burgers and a small fry to split. It’s insane. All fast food is through the roof now. Another reason to mostly avoid it. 

34 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

So I guess now we pay $50 for two large cheese pizzas and a medium pepperoni? But inflation isn’t real? I just paid that.

I have to wonder how much of people’s credit card debt is now just food. 

You got 3 pizzas for only $50?

For the last decade here a large pizza is $20-$24.

Is this not what people pay for pizza?  

814D45A6-A523-44C6-8BB0-FEA392E9BB24.jpeg.ce52e49e5033ec85e6394014eefe16ed.jpeg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

So I guess now we pay $50 for two large cheese pizzas and a medium pepperoni? But inflation isn’t real? I just paid that.

I have to wonder how much of people’s credit card debt is now just food. 

Lol 

My wife went out with her sister and I didn’t have shyte in the house to eat. Kids wanted to go to burger king. Yeah, I know.

Anyhow. 2 whoppers, 1 chicken sandwich, 2 chocolate shakes and a water. $39 bucks. For frickin hamburgers and fries. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That menu looks like a more hip spot. Probably all fair trade ingredients and vegan pizzas. LOL ripping off high young adult dreamers in hip towns is a classic move.

This was the freaking local sub shop in rural southern DE. The pizza isn’t even good. 

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That menu looks like a more hip spot. Probably all fair trade ingredients and vegan pizzas. LOL

This was the freaking local sub shop in rural southern DE. The pizza isn’t even good. 

Resort town prices here for sure… that’s not a pie shop like on a beach destination town in DE?  Piecasso is the name here in Stowe and the place absolutely prints money.  You’re right though, the pie is good so people pay it.  And big, they say large pizza, it’s like a manhole cover in a box.

Personally I’ve always wanted a Dominoes or something… see those large pies with toppings for like $7.99 and I’d be down with that instead of $25+ with tax whenever the wife or I want pizza.

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That menu looks like a more hip spot. Probably all fair trade ingredients and vegan pizzas. LOL ripping off high young adult dreamers in hip towns is a classic move.

Down the street from me

AF1QipNCAu8Fx3QniSbfo1yqRqYwv12UFIUZ6WQc

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah about right, but the places around here with the Greek pizza crap are cheaper.  You Greeks stick to Gyros. Let the paisans handle the pizza.

• Like 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

Resort town prices here for sure… that’s not a pie shop like on a beach destination town in DE?  Piecasso is the name here in Stowe and the place absolutely prints money.  You’re right though, the pie is good so people pay it.  And big, they say large pizza, it’s like a manhole cover in a box.

Personally I’ve always wanted a Dominoes or something… see those large pies with toppings for like $7.99 and I’d be down with that instead of $25+ with tax whenever the wife or I want pizza.

I picture this guy working there making the pizza:

main-qimg-fcff1ca05c008efe419717c4e507cf

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Lol 

My wife went out with her sister and I didn’t have shyte in the house to eat. Kids wanted to go to burger king. Yeah, I know.

Anyhow. 2 whoppers, 1 chicken sandwich, 2 chocolate shakes and a water. $39 bucks. For frickin hamburgers and fries. 

Ha it snuck up on us how it is too with fast food.  We don’t get it maybe once every 6 months when traveling or something… driving to CT we stopped at Mc D’s and every meal is like $10.  I ended up going to Subway where you can at least still get a foot long for under $10 and feel slightly better about eating it lol.

3 hours ago, DotRat_Wx said:

It's a disease that killed half a million people.

Every variant will be concerning for the foreseeable future

And the vaccine won't change any of that. They're going to keep coming one after another. Remember the "flu" and "colds". How many of those colds were cornaviruses? Might as well try to lockup the boogeyman so small children can stop worrying about him too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonger said:

And the vaccine won't change any of that. They're going to keep coming one after another. Remember the "flu" and "colds". How many of those colds were cornaviruses? Might as well try to lockup the boogeyman so small children can stop worrying about him too.

We should put covid to rest tonight. I think we’re all covided out 

• Thanks 2