Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Delta is already everywhere in this country and tens of millions of people are infected with no or mild symptoms. By the time Biden vaxxes anyone else under the mandate Delta will have already burned itself out. We have become so stupid over this virus. It's ALL stupid virtue signaling now.

Mm people should keep in mind,   ....and, more people have died in history for causes rooted in some for of symbolism than any other causes combined. Virtue signaling is entirely symbolic.

35 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I am pretty sure we all just had Delta. I had a persistent headache for a couple days and was pretty thirsty even though I stayed plenty hydrated. Wife felt a little tired a few days later too. No biggie. We assume weird little 24-48 hr blips like this are COVID now. Many, many people I know have a mysterious and generally weak "cold" right now. It's Delta.

Funny you say that I've  had the same thing the last few days..  

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I don’t think government employees and contractors are required to vax.    The carrot and stick is vax or submit to weekly testing.    I believe some private sector companies are more strict.

It's a soft mandate. These have become quite popular in the age of COVID. Basically, your choices are either to submit and comply or deal with a ridiculously onerous and costly alternative. A false dichotomy.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I don’t think government employees and contractors are required to vax.    The carrot and stick is vax or submit to weekly testing.    I believe some private sector companies are more strict.

not sure why people are surprised that businesses are requiring  jabs, masks and/or weekly testing. they don’t want to shut down and they don’t want the liability.  Though Its entertaining watching phin fling his BS all around 

4 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

You’re right. It’s either weekly or 2 times a week tests. 

It literally creates a segregated two-tier social credit system in an attempt to coerce people to get a medical procedure done against their will. We shouldn't be happy about this... it's an attempt to work around the US Constitution and legal traditions.

Just now, UMB WX said:

not sure why people are surprised that businesses are requiring  jabs, masks and/or weekly testing. they don’t want to shut down and they don’t want the liability.  Though Its entertaining watching phin fling his BS all around 

Very, very few businesses are even requiring masks, much less vaccinations. You have a business (supposedly). Do you require customers who approach the truck to all be masked and show proof of vaccination? No, of course not because doing so would be a terrible business decision.

4 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

My company requires once a week testing and masks if your not vaxed.

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It literally creates a segregated two-tier social credit system in an attempt to coerce people to get a medical procedure done against their will. We shouldn't be happy about this... it's an attempt to work around the US Constitution and legal traditions.

I believe it was the Trump administration that enforced flu shots for VA all employees with the alternative masking for 6 months at work. Since this was all before covid it created an obvious segregation and there was nearly 100% compliance.   Not sure how they enforce the flu shots mandate now but as of last September they were talking removal.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I believe it was the Trump administration that enforced flu shots for VA all employees with the alternative masking for 6 months at work. Since this was all before covid it created an obvious segregation and there was nearly 100% compliance.   Not sure how they enforce the flu shots mandate now but as of last September they were talking removal.

Mass general has had that rule for a long time. Get a flu shot or wear a mask during flu season. 

56 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

We make our own sausage. For our large cuts of meat we use a local Meat Service/farm  Harry Hansens.   9 racks of ribs on now along with 10lbs of chicken for a small dinner cater. Overnight cook for a celebration of life tomorrow. 110lbs pork shoulder and 80lbs of chicken.  

Sorry for their loss but can I come?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Back when I was in and out of there with an ID badge, you had a sticker on the badge.

Makes sense.   I go to MEEI as part of my cataract post op and of course the initial evaluation and surgery itself.   Each visit results in a new mask as required from their dispenser in the screening area. Looking forward to OS-OD has great results!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

The former FDA commissioner under Trump suggests we may be having 1 million infections per day.  This part may be a relevant thing to point out though:

Gottlieb now serves on the board of Covid vaccine maker Pfizer.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/30/dr-scott-gottlieb-estimates-up-to-1-million-americans-infected-with-covid-daily-as-delta-spreads.html

Drevil_million_dollars.jpg.45a3a21df9d0371624bc0fdcce681ca7.jpg

Lol. This guys a clown. A million a day?

We’ve never had more than 260,000 a day. Proves he’s not a serious person. 

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

Actually been adjunct since I retired.   Now the dilemma in October when I pass the ethics time barrier and can work for people doing business with the government.   I’m choosing to do about 10 hours/week with one group mainly based on the high level of ethics with the president of the company.   The guy is a mensch as I told my wife and he has a viable product.

The $$ is stupid high-between that and the few hours adjunct I’ll get paid as much as my pension, SS, and IRA (rolled over entire TSP) distribution combined which essentially doubles the $$ I made while working as a 15/10 with 21% add on for retention.   Do the math-not bad for never having to get up before 10AM.  You will be sought after post retirement and the trick is to make sure you don’t take on too much.  After the one company (October gig) made the $$  offer I had to make sure it wasn’t too many hours.  When he told me I pinched myself...lol.

The plan for me is to go to 62 and then live the FERS life. 31 more yrs to go!  I enjoy my job too though, so I’m in no hurry to wish away any time, knowing nothing is guaranteed. 

7 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

We’ve never had more than 260,000 a day. Proves he’s not a serious person

Nah mm not sure I agree here.    The fact that anyone would make a statement the likes of which so egregiously challenges conventional plausibility, and is in fact almost impossible, probably means he hyper serious about something - for one, not having any respect for the audience.

I understand what you meant/mean, and how the turn of phrase, 'not a serious person,' is a cutesy little euphemism for dumb f'ck asshole... But in his case, he's marketing for big pharma by attempting some poorly veiled example of gaslighting people's fear so they'll run out and get "Pfifed"

Has anyone seen any data on outdoor transmission of delta?  Obviously indoors would present the far higher likelihood, but with a more transmissible variant with higher viral loads, common sense would suggest that perhaps it could spread outside more easily than previous versions of covid?

Lollapalooza is going on in Chicago, which always draws big crowds.  My understanding is that they are requiring proof of vaccination or a recent negative test.

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Has anyone seen any data on outdoor transmission of delta?  Obviously indoors would present the far higher likelihood, but with a more transmissible variant with higher viral loads, common sense would suggest that perhaps it could spread outside more easily than previous versions of covid?

Lollapalooza is going on in Chicago, which always draws big crowds.  My understanding is that they are requiring proof of vaccination or a recent negative test.

Who cares. No one is dying like alpha varient.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

We’ve never had more than 260,000 a day. Proves he’s not a serious person. 

Is it that crazy? 

I know about 20 people who had covid in Ptown and they were either asymptomatic or very mildly symptomatic. They never would have been tested had the news of the "provincetown cluster" been everywhere.

Seems reasonable that as the spread is more significant in younger people who are mildly or asymptomatic there is going to be a big drop in testing and tons and tons of cases going unreported.