Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

4 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I also need to get a shingles vax. 

I’ve put it off.  I had the old Zostivax about 9-10 years ago but that’s 50% and shingrix is close to 100%.  Problem is everyone gets sick for 18 hours.   I had shingles at age 23-it was awful!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

I’ve put it off.  I had the old Zostivax about 9-10 years ago but that’s 50% and shingrix is close to 100%.  Problem is everyone gets sick for 18 hours.   I had shingles at age 23-it was awful!

I had the first shot then forgot about the 3 month second shot.  Have to start all over. Didn't get sick though

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

I got a slight fever and fairly intense muscle soreness especially after the second shot. Side effects were a bit worse than anticipated but better than going through shingles.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

Yeah.  I’ve heard it is a rough one.  Any idea why?   Although shingles itself can be nasty

10 hours ago, fujiwara79 said:

I never compared the two; I said natural immunity is clearly not lifelong.  Not even close.  But that is what some people seem to claim.  Vaccine immunity is clearly not lifelong either.  It appears to start waning after 6 months.

I suggest interviewing the residents of Manuas, Brazil or New Delhi, India.  Millions of them were re-infected by the gamma and delta variant, respectively.  That "T-cell memory" thing didn't do squat for them.  It certainly shocked the medical community.

Not true in the mRNA vaccines.  Efficacy still in the 90% realm after 6mo. 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmc2103916

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/04/pfizer-covid-vaccine-91-effective-least-6-months

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Australia sending in the troops to enforce the lockdown over a couple deaths of some elderly people…

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/australia-pm-says-vaccinations-alone-will-not-end-sydneys-covid-19-lockdown-2021-07-28/

They’ve gone completely mad down there. 

Are they allowed to throw "shrimp on the barbie?"

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, radarman said:

Unrelated but has anyone been to the new Treehouse in Sandwich?  Thinking of making a trip.  

Lately have been mainly drinking sours, marzen, and hefeweizen.  Good to mix it up.  

It's on my list to get there.  Are they fully opened?  Last I checked they were only doing pre-orders for pickup at specific times.

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

It's on my list to get there.  Are they fully opened?  Last I checked they were only doing pre-orders for pickup at specific times.

They are having a lot of problems with the town so have had some issues with sporadic hours.  Lots of NIMBY pushback due to traffic concerns. 
Honestly, I can see why, it’s a one road in, one road out situation.  
Come to TreeHouse Deerfield, there is hardly ever a line!
I was talking to one of the workers who was telling me that management was a little underwhelmed by the turnout at this location. I think that will change once they have a full brewery and taproom open and it’s not just pick up.

• Like 1

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

They are having a lot of problems with the town so have had some issues with sporadic hours.  Lots of NIMBY pushback due to traffic concerns. 
Honestly, I can see why, it’s a one road in, one road out situation.  
Come to TreeHouse Deerfield, there is hardly ever a line!
I was talking to one of the workers who was telling me that management was a little underwhelmed by the turnout at this location. I think that will change once they have a full brewery and taproom open and it’s not just pick up.

Yeah, just a short drive to Deerfield....:lol:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Australia sending in the troops to enforce the lockdown over a couple deaths of some elderly people…

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/australia-pm-says-vaccinations-alone-will-not-end-sydneys-covid-19-lockdown-2021-07-28/

They’ve gone completely mad down there. 

From the article:

"With little sign that of restrictions reducing infections, Berejiklian said new curbs would be imposed on the southwestern and western areas of Sydney where the majority of COVID-19 cases are being found.

Residents there will be forced to wear masks outdoors and to stay within five km (three miles) of their homes."

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

it's been said a few times already but case counts are generally not worth much right now if many of them are mild....hospitalizations/deaths is what's important going forward.

9 hours ago, MJO812 said:

I'm showing how many cases for the day 

as Brian346346820321 said, case counts don't matter. as long as routine asymptomatic testing is being performed, case counts are useless.

For example, in NH, case counts are rising. however, what truly matters is that the hospitalizations are actually going down. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

From the article:

"With little sign that of restrictions reducing infections, Berejiklian said new curbs would be imposed on the southwestern and western areas of Sydney where the majority of COVID-19 cases are being found.

Residents there will be forced to wear masks outdoors and to stay within five km (three miles) of their homes."

I don't see how Australia ever breaks out of this loop unless the politicians there go up on stage and issue a massive mea culpa over the whole thing and totally change their approach. They are always going to be getting new variants coming in there from Asia. These little clusters of cases are never going to end. Australia really should be a warning for us over here about how heavy-handed the mommy government can get when we ask it to "keep us safe" and how out-of-hand the response from the government can become as older measures stop working. Putting people in literal camps is next; we will see if they get there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

From the article:

239 new cases in one day, in a city of 6 million.  That's 4 per 100k.  The horror.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Remember when they said you should wear a mask while having sex in Australia. Lol. 

They said that in the UK and I think Canada as well.

The new information that the vaccinated can spread the virus effectively really calls into question the "COVID zero" models of Canada and Australia. Even if they vax everyone every year they can still have these clusters of cases.

Hmm

Nearly 900 confirmed COVID-19 cases have now been linked to a recent virus outbreak in Provincetown, town manager Alex Morse announced Thursday

Morse noted that 74 percent of the cases are among vaccinated people and that 87 percent are men with a median age of 40.

A total of seven hospitalizations have been linked to the cluster. There have been no deaths.

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The new information that the vaccinated can spread the virus effectively really calls into question the "COVID zero" models of Canada and Australia. Even if they vax everyone every year they can still have these clusters of cases.

Covid zero .. 

riiight

another f'ed up example of hubris if any sovereignty thinks that can be realized or managed  - our species is not the biological gods in its fledgling technological presence on this world that it attempts, or by actions purports to be. 

not yet anyway ... that may be an achievement distinction in some distant future utopian sci-fi vision - if a Fermi Paradox explanation doesn't "manifest" first..  heh.   maybe all this is just a preamble - like a first stop along a bio-Terra-forming experimental journey.  

That's an interesting thought ... why does Terra forming have to just mean climate.

14 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Hmm

Nearly 900 confirmed COVID-19 cases have now been linked to a recent virus outbreak in Provincetown, town manager Alex Morse announced Thursday

Morse noted that 74 percent of the cases are among vaccinated people and that 87 percent are men with a median age of 40.

A total of seven hospitalizations have been linked to the cluster. There have been no deaths.

Covid does infect more males than females, but nearly 90% here is high and heavily skewed.

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I'm just waiting for the waning vax immunity stories of the elderly who were vaccinated first that now risk infection yet again. Maybe less severe,  maybe not,  but we'll be starting all over again.

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Hmm

Which means the vaccines are effective, because there are minimal hospitalizations (<1%) and no deaths.  Nearly all deaths and majority of hospitalizations from Covid can be attributed to those that are unvaccinated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Which means the vaccines are effective, because there are minimal hospitalizations (<1%) and no deaths.  Nearly all deaths and majority of hospitalizations from Covid can be attributed to those that are unvaccinated.

The vaccines are apparently not effective at stopping the casedemic, though.

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

That's ultimately what it comes down to. If COVID acts like the common cold then that's fine but if it leads to hospitalizations & deaths then that's a problem.

And COVID will ultimately be endemic and join the other coronaviruses we deal with so sooner or later we'll have to move on.

• Like 1

Conflicted here.  Traveling soon and I need a negative test before we depart.
 I’m trying to avoid crowds (as typical, regardless of the ‘Vid) but I do need to be in stores, currently getting my car inspected etc. 

To mask or not...  this blows.  Does it provide even the tiniest advantage in prevention?   

most of the people in the shop right now are masked.  

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Conflicted here.  Traveling soon and I need a negative test before we depart.
 I’m trying to avoid crowds (as typical, regardless of the ‘Vid) but I do need to be in stores, currently getting my car inspected etc. 

To mask or not...  this blows.  Does it provide even the tiniest advantage in prevention?   

most of the people in the shop right now are masked.  

If you have a kn95 or better, sure. That may provide some protection if you happened to come across someone who has it. 

• Like 1