• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

Since the delta is far more contagious..I wonder if this is the catalyst that finally brings us much closer to herd immunity, in addition to the current vaccination rate. Also, the peak of this wave will likely burn out quicker as it rapidly finds any remaining hosts before we hit that immunity tipping point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I am not against the vaccines at all. They work and are safe. I have never argued that. I get the flu vaccine every year.

But natural immunity to COVID is a real thing. Some seem to be so into vaccines that they act like natural immunity doesn't exist at all for COVID and paint this as strictly a vaxxed and unvaxxed issue. It plays into the us vs them fight.

all they'd have to do is just changed vaxxed to immunized and we'd be good with pretty much whatev.  As it stands, I'm ok with non legal mandates... If NYC wants to fire all its public employees that don't get jabbed, sucks for those folks but hey, a roofer's personal politics comes into play heavily when choosing jobs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I did a little more digging on the CDC guidence today.

The masking recommendations are in areas where there are 50 cases per hundred thousand per day. For comparison, Massachusetts is at 7.1 per hundred thousand. 

Meant to add for comparison, sone counties in Missouri are at 50-110 per 100,000. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, radarman said:

all they'd have to do is just changed vaxxed to immunized and we'd be good with pretty much whatev.  As it stands, I'm ok with non legal mandates... If NYC wants to fire all its public employees that don't get jabbed, sucks for those folks but hey, a roofer's personal politics comes into play heavily when choosing jobs.

Here is an example.  In a few days I’m traveling to another country where they ask you (for entry) to show proof of vaccination or recovery from a previous infection (or quarantine).  Pretty easy to do

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Meant to add for comparison, sone counties in Missouri are at 50-110 per 100,000. 

Barnstable county was at 117 per 100,000.  One issue there is that 100,000 just includes full time residents and the Cape has many times its normal population during the summer. So it is a bit off.   

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Barnstable county was at 117 per 100,000.  One issue there is that 100,000 just includes full time residents and the Cape has many times its normal population during the summer. So it is a bit off.   

My first summer living on the Cape..I've grown a new disdain for cars with NY, CT, or PA plates.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

My first summer living on the Cape..I've grown a new disdain for cars with NY, CT, or PA plates.

NY and NJ cars are everywhere this summer. I have seen tons of them from all the way up in Coos County to down in southern FL and everywhere in between. Kind of like the cicadas or a plague of locusts. They are in every shop and store pushing and complaining. They tailgate you on every road. 

I guess no one wanted to be in NY/NJ this summer for whatever reason...

PA is a close third. They also seem to have dispersed farther and wider than ever before. Our beach town in DE is absolutely clogged with them. I guess they all stopped going to Wildwood, NJ.

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

They’re down to 18 today. Once the percent positive drops to 3% per day for 5 days in a row the mask mandates comes off and goes back to an advisory. Once it goes to 1%, the advisory comes off. While I do not agree with masking, at least there’s metrics on it. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, radarman said:

Absolutely don't mean this personally but just as we need data for (likely erroneous) claims like vaccines are killing folks, causing infertility, etc., etc., we need data for this too. 

Here's some for example.  https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1005517/Technical_Briefing_19.pdf

Very up to date stats, no editorializing, from England showing that individuals with one or more jabs were responsible for >30% of infections  (~10% 2 jabs + 2 weeks) whereas all possible reinfection cases are 1.2%, with actually confirmed reinfections a third of that.  I have an open mind here, but I certainly don't give media and politicians the benefit of the doubt if they aren't going to have the courtesy to point us to the studies that suggest reinfection risk is notable compared to the post vaccine risk.

Well to start, there's this:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2103825?query=TOC

However, that wasn't the article I was thinking about when I posted earlier.

This article points to some data that shows that the immune system response is slightly more robust in individuals that recovered from coronavirus and then received an immunization, compared to not getting immunized at all.  Peer reviewed, but small sample size (they were collecting cells directly from lymph nodes):

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03738-2#article-comments

But your data from England is more current.  There's also another Cleveland Clinic article that is leaning towards there not being as much of difference between natural immunity and vaccination, similar to the English stats.

I think this will get sorted out in the next year or so.  Right now it does seem that the medical community consensus, as bleeding edge as it is at the moment, is that if you recovered from coronavirus, to get at least one shot, especially if you're in a more vulnerable demographic.  I also think it's good news that the English research points to delta not really causing a high-reinfection rate.

• Like 1

@HoarfrostHubb

Iceland bringing back some restrictions due to Delta.

This is why I am too scared to travel overseas yet. Hopefully this doesn't cause you any issues.

https://www.icelandreview.com/society/covid-19-in-iceland-restrictions-imposed-to-combat-delta-variant-uncertainty/

Edit: doesn't seem too bad so far:

https://www.republicworld.com/world-news/rest-of-the-world-news/iceland-reimposes-covid-19-restrictions-as-cases-surge.html

28 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

NY and NJ cars are everywhere this summer. I have seen tons of them from all the way up in Coos County to down in southern FL and everywhere in between. Kind of like the cicadas or a plague of locusts. They are in every shop and store pushing and complaining. They tailgate you on every road. 

PA is a close third. They also seem to have dispersed farther and wider than ever before. Our beach town in DE is absolutely clogged with them. I guess they all stopped going to Wildwood, NJ.

We get everyone.  No one state plate stands out… equal opportunity.  Becomes lower in MD, DE, NC, VA but they are around.  NY, NJ, MA, RI, CT, even NH… all seem relative to population.

Was stuck behind CT dude this evening on RT 100 coming back from Lowe’s.  Had to pass.  I’ve always thought locals ride out-of-staters much harder… never get tailgated by NY/NJ or any other state.  We are always pushing them.

We locals pass on the regular because folks are distracted at the sights (mountains, looking for lodging, trails, waterfalls, etc) and often go 5-10mph under the posted limit.  Looking at stuff, in the country, just cruising around.

But some of us live here, ha.  We want and need to get places in normal time frames just like everyone else wants to when running their daily routines.  If I went into DC, NJ, NY, BOS areas/suburbs and drove 5-10mph below the posted speed limits with clear sailing in front of me, people would lose their minds too :lol:.  

It’s also legal to pass on a double yellow line in Vermont. Pretty much anything goes here.  Folks get so offended if you pass them on a double yellow, but it’s legit because it’s up to your judgement if you can get around them.  Personal freedom in the people’s republic of VT, it happens more than folks think.  Can’t even do that in Texas.  Pass someone going 36 in a 40 on a double yellow and they react like you flipped off their grandmother.

In Vermont, it is legal to cross a double yellow line to overtake and pass a vehicle traveling in the same direction as you are, if the left side is clearly visible and free of oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance, and you are not in a posted no-passing zone.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Nevada bringing back mask mandates effective Friday. First one I have seen.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nevada-mask-mandate-cdc-guidance/

“Most new infections continue to be among unvaccinated people.”

It’s tone deaf.  These folks largely take it as political. Some are lazy but the vast majority do not want someone telling them what to do.  Without that, they’d likely get vaccinated.  If someone gets the flu vaccine they should have no problem with this one.  But Nevada is desert, wild, guns, gambling and prostitution.  That population is going to rebel at the slightest hint of control.

The legislature is definitely are tone deaf to the thought process there.

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Any theories on why the US has suffered the most (in terms of deaths). Maybe the data is false (we overreported and others underreported)?  Our lifestyles (travel etc).  

Probably cause we are one of the most unhealthy nations in the world. Eating right starts at home as well. School system trying to push healthy stuff for kids and government taking away soft drinks dont help much

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Any theories on why the US has suffered the most (in terms of deaths). Maybe the data is false (we overreported and others underreported)?  Our lifestyles (travel etc).  

20 minutes ago, natedizel said:

Probably cause we are one of the most unhealthy nations in the world. Eating right starts at home as well. School system trying to push healthy stuff for kids and government taking away soft drinks dont help much

While I don't doubt for a second that widespread obesity has played a major role in the level of United States deaths, based on what I have seen, on a per capita basis the United States has faired broadly in line with other European developed nations (Belgium, France, UK, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland).

One would have to imagine that challenged standards and a lack of testing infrastructure would indicate that most developing or under-developed countries have not had the necessary tools in place and are likely under reporting relative to the above. There are of a course a few bad actors who are likely underreporting for other reasons.

Unfortunately the problems we are seeing here in the US are not unique to our country, for better or worse...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Western Mass and CT are loaded with NY plates also. Just up the hill in Blandford (great town for snow)  It's like every third house has a NY plate... and they've brought their terrible driving habits!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, PhineasC said:

@HoarfrostHubb

Iceland bringing back some restrictions due to Delta.

This is why I am too scared to travel overseas yet. Hopefully this doesn't cause you any issues.

https://www.icelandreview.com/society/covid-19-in-iceland-restrictions-imposed-to-combat-delta-variant-uncertainty/

Edit: doesn't seem too bad so far:

https://www.republicworld.com/world-news/rest-of-the-world-news/iceland-reimposes-covid-19-restrictions-as-cases-surge.html

Yeah.  Masks indoors.  Restrictions on large gatherings.  About what we expected.  Won’t apply to us much

10 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Still waiting for an answer on these vaccines that are required in most States before kids can attend public schools.  Why won't you get your >12yr old the Covid vaccine yet don't hesitate to give your infant/toddler these?

Those are vaccines in the true sense. Covid vaccine is not. They threw it together in a hurry and time will tell, but there are going to be big issues down the road based on art blues, studies, links posted in this thread and elsewhere. No one knows for certain exactly what , only that health issues are likely . None of us have ever gotten a flu shot. Half the time they don’t even have the right strand and we rarely if ever get the flu . And if you get the flu , guess what.. you get better. So why would healthy people feel the need to get this shot other than being scared by the media? If you’re healthy and get Covid… you get better .. just like any other flu .

• Confused 2

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/heres-how-it-was-possible-to-develop-covid-19-vaccines-so-quickly#The-vaccine-technology-already-existed

Both the mRNA and adenovirus technologies behind the COVID-19 vaccines were built on decades of research and experience.

“The scientific community wasn’t starting from scratch. Adenovirus and mRNA technology has been used in humans for decades. These are not new technologies. It’s mature, safe technology that was tailored and employed to fight this pandemic,” Jordan said.

• Like 1

https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/were-the-covid-19-vaccines-rushed

2. A decade of mRNA vaccine research

Researchers have been developing and researching an mRNA vaccine platform for over 10 years. After SARS-CoV-2 was sequenced, it took just a few days to make the mRNA vaccine candidates. The spike protein’s genetic code was plugged into preexisting technology with an already working process that had been evaluated for other vaccine uses, such as in the fight against dengue.

• Like 1

I had a bit of a cough Sunday night. Woke up yesterday with a dry cough, weight on my chest, and stabbing pain in my lower back, no fever or other cold symptoms. Clear pneumonia on my chest x-ray. Just came out of no where. Doc said they are seeing all sorts of weird respiratory stuff going on with negative covid tests. 

2 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

I had a bit of a cough Sunday night. Woke up yesterday with a dry cough, weight on my chest, and stabbing pain in my lower back, no fever or other cold symptoms. Clear pneumonia on my chest x-ray. Just came out of no where. Doc said they are seeing all sorts of weird respiratory stuff going on with negative covid tests.

Hope you feel better.  All of this rain etc can’t be helping with things like mold spores. 

• Like 1