Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 minute ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Trump is urging folks to get the vaccine. I guarantee if they renamed it to the Trump vaccine, the fully vaccinated would go up about 20%

I dunno. Maybe, maybe not. I’ll be honest, I’m a trump voter twice over and would do it again. His tweets didn’t  hurt my feelings. Not all trump voters are anti vax. Hell he touts he invented it ( kinda like gore invented the internet). You’d think every trump voter would stand in line all night to get it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s because it got political which is sad but real.  Any other medical issue and doctors recommending that people do XYZ to stay protected, and they’d do it.  But to not get vaxxed is more of a statement at this point. It’s rebellious.  It has very little to do in many people with their health.  And the more pressure put on those folks, the harder they are going to dig in.

Most of us didn’t consider the government at all when we decided to get vaccinated.  It wasn’t to bow down to the almighty ruler.  It was medical professionals who are friends, family, your primary care doctor, whoever said hey, your risk from COVID is low but we do recommend it.  So we said ok doc, and got the shot.  We looked at it like literally any other doctor recommended procedure.

I think about a cyst I had in my back.  Dermatologist referred me to someone, they said hey, 99% chance you never have any issue from that.  But personally, I’d get rid of it just on that 1% chance it turns serious.  Ok doc, sign me up, I trust you.  Now maybe I have an allergic reaction to the anesthesia and shit goes sideways just to remove a 1% or lower chance of a benign growth becoming serious.  But most folks will get it done when the Doctor says there’s a low chance of problems but to be safe we should remove this.  It’s not f*ck you doc, stop telling me how to live my life.

For the a lot of people refusing the vaccine, it has become about making a statement. I would also say there is a lot of simple laziness out there among the youth still. These are the same guys who barely ever vote despite the outcome affecting them greatly.

Fact is, this pandemic has always been more about metrics and TV pundits versus real, visceral impact to most people. Many people still do not know anyone who died of COVID or even became very ill, and many of the deaths were very old people in nursing homes. I get the tragedy there, but the average 20 year old is not going to be moved to make a decision about the vaccine based on hearing that 90 year old grandma in hospice passed away due to COVID-induced pneumonia. That the media still has to generate so much fear over this to convince people there is something still scary going on out there remains telling. If people really felt threatened by COVID, they would be scaling the walls to get the vaccine.

So, in the absence of a real fear driver for people, politics kind of filled the void.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

:lmao:  Do they have them get the DTaP/Tdap, polio, MMR, Hepatitis B, and Varicella vaccines or do they not believe in those as well?

Still waiting for an answer on these vaccines that are required in most States before kids can attend public schools.  Why won't you get your >12yr old the Covid vaccine yet don't hesitate to give your infant/toddler these?

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Still waiting for an answer on these vaccines that are required in most States before kids can attend public schools.  Why won't you get your >12yr old the Covid vaccine yet don't hesitate to give your infant/toddler these?

Aren't those sterilizing vaccines that are 100% effective?

It's not even clear this current generation of vaccines will be 50% effective by the time we get through the initial variant alphabet.

3 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I dunno. Maybe, maybe not. I’ll be honest, I’m a trump voter twice over and would do it again. His tweets didn’t  hurt my feelings. Not all trump voters are anti vax. Hell he touts he invented it ( kinda like gore invented the internet). You’d think every trump voter would stand in line all night to get it. 

Every Trump person I know over the age of 50 is vaccinated. Trump talks about getting the vaccine all the time.

Many minorities aren't getting vaccinated but that is an inconvenient truth many ignore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

The man is a fraud/idiot.  He rode his daddies inheritance into the ground many times over and thinks he's god's gift to business.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

For the a lot of people refusing the vaccine, it has become about making a statement. I would also say there is a lot of simple laziness out there among the youth still. These are the same guys who barely ever vote despite the outcome affecting them greatly.

Fact is, this pandemic has always been more about metrics and TV pundits versus real, visceral impact to most people. Many people still do not know anyone who died of COVID or even became very ill, and many of the deaths were very old people in nursing homes. I get the tragedy there, but the average 20 year old is not going to be moved to make a decision about the vaccine based on hearing that 90 year old grandma in hospice passed away due to COVID-induced pneumonia. That the media still has to generate so much fear over this to convince people there is something still scary going on out there remains telling. If people really felt threatened by COVID, they would be scaling the walls to get the vaccine.

So, in the absence of a real fear driver for people, politics kind of filled the void.

It has been and will continue to be quite the social undertaking . 

They have tried to entice people with gifts and prizes to take the vaccine , which I think is pretty cool as opposed to in a dictatorship they show up at your door and hold you down for the shot . The vax numbers are not going to go much unless the authorities focus more on the pain axis then then the pleasure / reward side . Forcing for flight or for entrance to stadiums , etc is the only way the number is going to significantly move up from this point , or a new strain evades the vaccine .

But as you said the 20-30 year olds are hesitant and so are many minorities but it’s easy to call out idiot trumpers to take out frustrations . I have such a vast array of friends in the Nashua area and I can promise you “minorities” are very skeptical of the authorities . People may want to focus on that more than 60 year old trump supporters because that is blessed by the left , other avenues ..not so much

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's not even clear this current generation of vaccines will be 50% effective by the time we get through the initial variant alphabet.

At some point it will become like a flu vaccine that they chase each season. 

Just now, PhineasC said:

It's also still so weird to me that in all of this debate, no one ever talks about natural immunity anymore. It's either vax or no vax. Surely by now many millions of people have natural immunity?

We discussed it a couple of days ago in a way. Natural immunity due to previous infection helps.  

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

lol, 50%?  We're still at ~85-90% on the most contagious variant out there.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/06/30/1011684609/moderna-says-studies-show-its-vaccine-is-effective-against-the-delta-variant

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leahrosenbaum/2021/07/27/how-good-are-covid-19-vaccines-at-protecting-against-the-delta-variant/?sh=537ed2fb1a6f

https://www.jnj.com/positive-new-data-for-johnson-johnson-single-shot-covid-19-vaccine-on-activity-against-delta-variant-and-long-lasting-durability-of-response

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It has been and will continue to be quite the social undertaking . 

They have tried to entice people with gifts and prizes to take the vaccine , which I think is pretty cool as opposed to in a dictatorship they show up at your door and hold you down for the shot . The vax numbers are not going to go much unless the authorities focus more on the pain axis then then the pleasure / reward side . Forcing for flight or for entrance to stadiums , etc is the only way the number is going to significantly move up from this point , or a new strain evades the vaccine .

But as you said the 20-30 year olds are hesitant and so are many minorities but it’s easy to call out idiot trumpers to take out frustrations . I have such a vast array of friends in the Nashua area and I can promise you “minorities” are very skeptical of the authorities . People may want to focus on that more than 60 year old trump supporters 

I don't think making the vaccinated mask up is going to help the numbers, that is for sure. I can tell you that the arguments from the vaccinated that we unvaccinated are causing all the problems and ruining everything are not compelling or changing any minds. Heels are digging in further. I don't think many unvaccinated people are going to feel responsible if some chickenshit politician locks down the vaxxed again. We are mostly just going to shake our heads and say "told ya' so."

3 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Hoarfrost and Baroclinic are putting on a clinic and Phin just refuses to take the L.

Will he continue to ignore his wife on the couch and keep demonstrating his lack of intelligence for all to see?

Stay tuned to find out...

I'm still working, no change from this AM's posting.

3 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Hoarfrost and Baroclinic are putting on a clinic and Phin just refuses to take the L.

Will he continue to ignore his wife on the couch and keep demonstrating his lack of intelligence for all to see?

Stay tuned to find out...

You are sitting here reading every post and living vicariously...

Posts like this always crack me up. LOL

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I don't think making the vaccinated mask up is going to help the numbers, that is for sure. I can tell you that the arguments from the vaccinated that we unvaccinated are causing all the problems and ruining everything are not compelling or changing any minds. Heels are digging in further. I don't think many unvaccinated people are going to feel responsible if some chickenshit politician locks down the vaxxed again. We are mostly just going to shake our heads and say "told ya' so."

A while back (I could be wrong) I believe you posted that if full FDA approval went though you would consider it.   Has that changed?  

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

+1,758 cases in NY

California has over 8k cases

Close to 60k in this country today

Deaths have been going down steadily. The cases bottomed out 6 weeks ago and rose ever since. But deaths have steadily declined over the same period. There’s been no increase at all. Right now it’s averaging 275. If that didn’t go up significantly in the next couple weeks, the cases have uncoupled. Another anecdote at least locally, my buddy at mass general told me that a lot of patients   in the hospital right now, at least at MG, probably wouldnt even been admitted last January or at the peak in April 2020. They’re not as sick. Delta will end up like a bad cold for most. This uncoupling is why they need to stop worrying about cases. If they don’t, they’ll chase cases until Jesus returns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1