Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

2 minutes ago, White Rain said:

This is interesting. 

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2021/07/26/covid-vaccination-california-counties/

“A new analysis finds several counties with above-average vaccination rates also have higher COVID case rates, while case rates are falling in counties with below-average vaccination rates.”

There's your casedemic. Low viral load in a vaccinated person can lead to a positive test result because Delta variant also resides more in the nasal cavities.   

• Like 1

@Baroclinic Zonenails it, casedemic. As long as asymptomatic people are being regularly tested (which they are), we will continue to see case #s rise. what truly should matter is hospitalizations. as of yesterday, there were 23 in NH, even though cases continue to rise. I am reasonably sure that the 30 reporting hospitals can handle that number of people being treated. I am having trouble finding the peak # of hospitalizations in the state, but it was over 200 IIRC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Not debatable.  We're not talking exclusively about masking.  We're talking about the social distancing, lockdowns, capacity restrictions, etc... that were put in place.  All those coupled together worked.

The last two pages is almost exclusively about masking and if the data shows it decreases case loads 1.5% , which I thought it would be much More ...then what is the point .

Other than a CYA recommendation by CDC and more of a psychological boost than a scientific /data Driven point . Seems it’s just like a “we can’t do much , so I guess we will do this , if you polled the Mask wearing public I would guess they believe it provides very good protection. It’s not easy to find data on how much masking helps .

40 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Keep in mind Simone Biles has been essentially abused her entire life, emotionally and physically.

The pressure many kids and competitors are under for most of their life is borderline abuse as it is.  I get wanting the best for your kid but some parents are militant.  Youth sports is an intense realm.

I still remember this girl on our street growing up was great at basketball but her father was a psychopath about it.  In like middle school a bunch of us neighborhood kids going to get ice cream or something trivial that you do at that age but feels cool (ha)… girl and her dad are in her driveway shooting free throws.  We asked her to go with us, she looked like she wanted nothing more than to go, but Dad actually said “you missed a free throw in tonight’s game so I need you to practice a hundred shots and then you can join them later.”  

She went on to play like Division III basketball in college, great but not like wow.  We all thought her dad was a pyscho; the type of guy who’s got a stopwatch timing his 15 year old daughter’s wind sprints in the street, always saying you need to be better if you want to amount to anything.

I dunno, it’s probably a fine balance between wanting what’s best for your kid and not just completely controlling their life with your desire to see them win.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, tunafish said:

^ I would counter that with this...what makes more logical sense to you?

'A new way to visualize the surge in Covid-19 cases in the U.S.' (ie, the rate of acceleration of cases)
https://www.statnews.com/2021/07/26/new-way-visualize-covid-19-case-surge-us/

New cases in states like LA & AR are growing even faster than last winter's 3rd wave. But looking at MA, which has had a 351% increase in cases over the last 14 days, one of the highest such percentage changes in the nation, case acceleration paints a different picture (see graphs in article).

The Stat article didn't post graphs for every state. But if MA is any example, the higher immunized states do not seem to be on track for another big peak. Let's hope. I say immunized and not vaccinated because SD, which has one of the highest total infection rates per capita, is still doing as remarkably well as VT.

Startling percentage increases come easier with a low launch point.  I think Maine must have a similar jump, because they were posting 7-day averages under 20/day and it went up to 70.  Still  pretty low.

55 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Not debatable.  We're not talking exclusively about masking.  We're talking about the social distancing, lockdowns, capacity restrictions, etc... that were put in place.  All those coupled together worked.

If that’s what you want to believe, more power to you. Comparison of case numbers and increase to countries who are more masked and lockdown than we are say otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I'm worried about Phin's well-being.  He's distraught over the CDC altering it's guidance on public health matters. 

Are you just becoming concerned over this now? The guy moved into a remote house in the woods of NH, spews some crazy sh*t, He may be the next unabomber.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

35 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The pressure many kids and competitors are under for most of their life is borderline abuse as it is.  I get wanting the best for your kid but some parents are militant.  Youth sports is an intense realm.

I still remember this girl on our street growing up was great at basketball but her father was a psychopath about it.  In like middle school a bunch of us neighborhood kids going to get ice cream or something trivial that you do at that age but feels cool (ha)… girl and her dad are in her driveway shooting free throws.  We asked her to go with us, she looked like she wanted nothing more than to go, but Dad actually said “you missed a free throw in tonight’s game so I need you to practice a hundred shots and then you can join them later.”  

She went on to play like Division III basketball in college, great but not like wow.  We all thought her dad was a pyscho; the type of guy who’s got a stopwatch timing his 15 year old daughter’s wind sprints in the street, always saying you need to be better if you want to amount to anything.

I dunno, it’s probably a fine balance between wanting what’s best for your kid and not just completely controlling their life with your desire to see them win.

yeah it's nuts out there-parents see their kids' success on the field/court as a microcosm of themselves.    Spending thousands on lessons, private coaches, playing 2-3 leagues at once-just nuts.

15 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

yeah it's nuts out there-parents see their kids' success on the field/court as a microcosm of themselves.    Spending thousands on lessons, private coaches, playing 2-3 leagues at once-just nuts.

I mean I thought growing up in the ‘90s it was a bit much… can’t imagine 20 years later.  I played baseball and soccer but I remember people being like “you can give up skiing in the winter and just focus on practicing soccer, play in several indoor leagues, travel to tourney’s, etc.”.   No way in hell that was happening, skiing ruled all and of course later in high school I couldn’t compete with the kids who just played all year long, indoor or outdoors.

Senior year some friends and I realized the best thing going… the golf team.  Free golf every afternoon after school at the area country clubs. And they even drive you there, ha.

1 hour ago, UMB WX said:

hopefully not and he's mainlining some wine this evening.

1 hour ago, DotRat_Wx said:

I think Phin is scared of needles

images (1).jfif 7.9 kB · 2 downloads

Good evening, DR, UMB. Phineas fears neither needles or needling. However moving to his present location may have been due to a fear of enduring another snow challenged mid Atlantic cold season. I personally detest needles, even so, I’m a fully initiated member of the Pfizer alumni and will probably join the booster club when/if the opportunity presents itself. Will it make a difference? I leave that to the author of my eulogy, if any. Besides, regardless of opinion, one side will always have the good old four word phrase to fall back on..”I told you so”. As always ….

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good evening.

Good evening, DR, UMB. Phineas fears neither needles or needling. However moving to his present location may have been due to a fear of enduring another snow challenged mid Atlantic cold season. I personally detest needles, even so, I’m a fully initiated member of the Pfizer alumni and will probably join the booster club when/if the opportunity presents itself. Will it make a difference? I leave that to the author of my eulogy, if any. Besides, regardless of opinion, one side will always have the good old four word phrase to fall back on..”I told you so”. As always ….

You got it!

50 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Actually found something we may agree on somewhat. 

Agree on the casedemic, but if someone thinks it’s a casedemic, why would they be OK with government mandating masks and lockdowns over it? That sheepish acceptance of rules that don’t even make sense is the part I don’t get. I couldn’t resolve that kind of discrepancy in my worldview. 

2 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

UK cases already dropping. We are 3 weeks behind them so this wave isn't going to last. 

I think it will last longer here but still should drop quickly.  Delta driven surges seem to be getting done quickly in many countries.  

And for those question the toughness of S Biles, please do some research.  She is pretty damned tough.  Has competed with broken bones etc.  

19 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Let’s be honest, is the overall COVID risk somehow higher now than it was in May? Put all the politics and gotcha stories aside. Is it really any different?

I think it depends on what you mean.  Assuming a person has not really changed their habits of going out and about, the chances of encountering the virus are higher now than in May in virtually the entire country.  It's pretty much basic math.

12 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

UK cases already dropping. We are 3 weeks behind them so this wave isn't going to last. 

We will be throwing in an extra variable of schools reopening on a widespread basis, so will be interesting to see how that factors in.  Maybe a slower drop than otherwise?  Who really knows.