Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My aunt has been numerous times (my uncle just a couple).  She loves it there and knows a number of people there.  We are doing it on our own (driving). Mostly staying just outside of Reykjavik.  Doing a horse tour, kayaking at a glacial lagoon to the east. Lots of waterfall stuff.  Geysers.   

A lot of time unplanned so we can drive around and do things spur of the moment.  

Unplanned time is good. We have done overseas trips both ways and we usually say we prefer the unplanned, freeform trips more. 

I am definitely the type of traveler that prefers to just wander into the local town and city, sit at a cafe, and just take it in. My wife is usually more about hitting the usual sites to fill up the photo albums, but more and more she has become more like me and just wants to take in the local vibe.

One of my favorite European memories was being in Frankfurt on business and just going out at like 2 in the afternoon and wandering until like 3 AM. I can't tell you exactly where I went and what I did (because I just wandered and did whatever was in front of me) but I had fun. LOL Ate good food and met cool people.

52 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I just discovered that there is a penis museum in Reykjavik.    Wtf?

45 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Covid. Is. Boring.

Let's make off topic great again.

44 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I tried with a penis museum.   Ah well

I’m enjoying the Olympics.  

15 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I’m curious how this discovery was made…

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

When you clicked on “penis museum,” a whole new world opened up on Google didn’t it?

Good evening folks. The current Olympic host country actually has a penis festival. Thankfully the events categories were not expanded. Considering the fire/ice climate/geology and icicle development, a museum in Reykjavik sorta makes sense, As always ….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Unplanned time is good. We have done overseas trips both ways and we usually say we prefer the unplanned, freeform trips more. 

I am definitely the type of traveler that prefers to just wander into the local town and city, sit at a cafe, and just take it in. My wife is usually more about hitting the usual sites to fill up the photo albums, but more and more she has become more like me and just wants to take in the local vibe.

One of my favorite European memories was being in Frankfurt on business and just going out at like 2 in the afternoon and wandering until like 3 AM. I can't tell you exactly where I went and what I did (because I just wandered and did whatever was in front of me) but I had fun. LOL Ate good food and met cool people.

I’m sort of a combination. Whenever I go somewhere I love to just walk around and see whatever, whether it’s an “attraction” or not. I do like to see tourist spots too, they’re usually popular for a reason.  I’ve had good luck with those hop on hop off bus tours too. They’re good for giving you the lay of the land and getting you to places that are of interest. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I saw the last bit of the  women’s fencing competition. First ever gold for the USA in women’s fencing. 

Badminton has been my sport so far.  That shit is intense.  Japan and Canada this morning, the rally’s went on forever until someone slammed it home.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Badminton has been my sport so far.  That shit is intense.

I love watching obscure sports. I watched Olympic archery once at like 1 AM. A bunch of seemingly out of shape people hitting bullseye after bullseye. Some sports are more about total calmness and focus instead of brute athleticism.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I’m sort of a combination. Whenever I go somewhere I love to just walk around and see whatever, whether it’s an “attraction” or not. I do like to see tourist spots too, they’re usually popular for a reason.  I’ve had good luck with those hop on hop off bus tours too. They’re good for giving you the lay of the land and getting you to places that are of interest. 

Yes, the hop on buses are great. We were doing a whirlwind tour of northern Italy and then we took an entire day riding that kind of bus in Florence. It was awesome sitting up top catching the breeze and just taking in the city. I love watching people in other countries scurrying around going about their routine. People watching is awesome. I could sit in Italy all day long just drinking wine and eating aged ham/cheese. Before we bought the place in Randolph we seriously looked at a place in Italy, but the pandemic stuff ended all that for now. If things had turned out differently, I might have ended up in some Italian weather forum bitching about my lemon trees instead of being here. LOL

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yes, the hop on buses are great. We were doing a whirlwind tour of northern Italy and then we took an entire day riding that kind of bus in Florence. It was awesome sitting up top catching the breeze and just taking in the city. I love watching people in other countries scurrying around going about their routine. People watching is awesome. I could sit in Italy all day long just drinking wine and eating aged ham/cheese. Before we bought the place in Randolph we seriously looked at a place in Italy, but the pandemic stuff ended all that for now. If things had turned out differently, I might have ended up in some Italian weather forum bitching about my lemon trees instead of being here. LOL

I could think of worse things to do.

We're watching your cam get dumped on right now.

• Like 1

Basically. There were about 400 cases traced to p town over the last couple weeks. The board of selectman put on an advisory for indoor masking a few days ago. Tonight they voted to make it a mandate. And the governor won’t say boo. He won’t make a state mandate, but he’ll let cities and towns do it. The more leftist town and cities will do it. Bank on Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville to get on the mandate wagon by the end of this week. I’d be shocked if I’m not back in a mask at work within a week, two weeks tops. 
That's just wrong, plain and simple. Where's the data to support this or are we going to play the "give it two weeks" hamster wheel circuit.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

That's just wrong, plain and simple. Where's the data to support this or are we going to play the "give it two weeks" hamster wheel circuit.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

The current thinking is this outbreak has been tied to the shitty July weather forcing more and more people indoors .  I'd rather see mitigation done at the local level than at a State level.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Good morning Phineas. Actually you could have stayed in our forum. What’s an ocean between friends and lemons, whatever their state, are plentiful on both sides. As always ….

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

The current thinking is this outbreak has been tied to the shitty July weather forcing more and more people indoors .  I'd rather see mitigation done at the local level than at a State level.

but what's the chance other towns don't follow suit even if their #'s are stable. I think it's clear how this will play out. get ready for your face diaper again.

Just now, Lava Rock said:

but what's the chance other towns don't follow suit even if their #'s are stable. I think it's clear how this will play out. get ready for your face diaper again.

Little chance.  Cities and Towns here don't want to go to that level.  It will be a last resort if the trend continues the way they have.  The data is pretty clear that the overwhelming majority of the case/hospitalization spikes are from those that are unvaccinated.  Breakthrough cases are happening but are generally mild in nature and don't require hospitalization.   I think this latest spike has been pushed up a few months with the shitty weather, so I'm thinking if we can have a nicer stretch of drier/warmer weather, we'll see things level off or drop some.  The "news panic" is over-reaching and nauseating at this point but I get it, they need to find something to keep the watcher tuned in.  There should be a continued push to get people vaccinated and I'm 100% positive we'll be seeing a roll-out of booster shots this Fall.  The sky isn't falling and people need to step away from the TV and Social Media and step outside.  Life is back to a new normal for most.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Little chance.  Cities and Towns here don't want to go to that level.  It will be a last resort if the trend continues the way they have.  The data is pretty clear that the overwhelming majority of the case/hospitalization spikes are from those that are unvaccinated.  Breakthrough cases are happening but are generally mild in nature and don't require hospitalization.   I think this latest spike has been pushed up a few months with the shitty weather, so I'm thinking if we can have a nicer stretch of drier/warmer weather, we'll see things level off or drop some.  The "news panic" is over-reaching and nauseating at this point but I get it, they need to find something to keep the watcher tuned in.  There should be a continued push to get people vaccinated and I'm 100% positive we'll be seeing a roll-out of booster shots this Fall.  The sky isn't falling and people need to step away from the TV and Social Media and step outside.  Life is back to a new normal for most.

Restaurants, large family gatherings, weddings, going to the movies, traveling for work and leisure…I’m like 99.9% back to pre-pandemic life. I think a lot are too. 

42 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Yeah they're making a big deal out of this "booster shot", at least the media is.  It's not that unreasonable to think you would need another shot like you do w/ almost every other vaccine.

45 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Little chance.  Cities and Towns here don't want to go to that level.  It will be a last resort if the trend continues the way they have.  

From your mouth to gods ear. I dont have as much faith in these towns as you. Most won’t, but some of these towns are just foaming at the mouth to put mask restrictions back on no matter what. You can bet the usual suspects will at sone point. Cambridge has only had 83 positives so for this month and already put a non binding advisory into place. How many want to bet against it that they’ll put a mandate on. That means every office worker in town will go back to wearing one vaxed or not. And right now there’s a huge push to get people back in the office, at least from the biotech/pharma industry. They’re all in Cambridge for the most part. How do you think that will go over trying to get folks back?

Maybe I’m just worrying for nothing, but I worked for over a year wearing one everyday all day. Do that again?? No thanks. 

2 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

From your mouth to gods ear. I dont have as much faith in these towns as you. Most won’t, but some of these towns are just foaming at the mouth to put mask restrictions back on no matter what. You can bet the usual suspects will at sone point. Cambridge has only had 83 positives so for this month and already put a non binding advisory into place. How many want to bet against it that they’ll put a mandate on. That means every office worker in town will go back to wearing one vaxed or not. And right now there’s a huge push to get people back in the office, at least from the biotech/pharma industry. They’re all in Cambridge for the most part. How do you think that will go over trying to get folks back?

Maybe I’m just worrying for nothing, but I worked for over a year wearing one everyday all day. Do that again?? No thanks. 

time for a rebellion

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

From your mouth to gods ear. I dont have as much faith in these towns as you. Most won’t, but some of these towns are just foaming at the mouth to put mask restrictions back on no matter what. You can bet the usual suspects will at sone point. Cambridge has only had 83 positives so for this month and already put a non binding advisory into place. How many want to bet against it that they’ll put a mandate on. That means every office worker in town will JD e to go back to wearing one vaxed or not. And right now there’s a huge push to get people back in the office, at least from the biotech/pharma industry. They’re all in Cambridge for the most part. How do you think that will go over trying to get folks back?

There will always be the rogue community that buck the overwhelming majority.  Most don't want to bring back mandates as it only huts them from a tax revenue standpoint.  I see maybe a handful who would go to that level on their own and my bet is those are the touristy locations.

Sucks you had to wear a mask for that long.  I only had to wear one grocery shopping or when I went to clients homes for work.  Our Office is small enough that we never bothered with masks and we can keep apart.

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

There will always be the rogue community that buck the overwhelming majority.  Most don't want to bring back mandates as it only huts them from a tax revenue standpoint.  I see maybe a handful who would go to that level on their own and my bet is those are the touristy locations.

Sucks you had to wear a mask for that long.  I only had to wear one grocery shopping or when I went to clients homes for work.  Our Office is small enough that we never bothered with masks and we can keep apart.

Try wearing one all day in a lab with safety glasses with side shields, buttoned up lab coat. Jesus. Fogged up glasses, hot, almost suffocated. I just can’t do it. Guess I’ll have no choice if the city mandates it again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Restaurants, large family gatherings, weddings, going to the movies, traveling for work and leisure…I’m like 99.9% back to pre-pandemic life. I think a lot are too. 

Which is why a cold COVID civil war is brewing ...

It'll heat up at times and won't be so cold. It won't tear civility apart - at least we don't think.  But it will begin manifesting as the usual mall melee ... grocery store parking lot rumbles (hopefully some will take place over a church parking lot), or the occasional shooter using some twisted form of self-appointed COVID-cop complex triggered to rage, as an means to do what they really want which is just the violence lust ...

It's inevitable that Humanity still thinks they can stop a force that's been prevalent and unconquerable to this world for 3 billion years... with masks. Holy fu! Quantum Tunneling is discovered to occur in molecular diffusion and chaos emergence in DNA chemistry recently as eerily instrumental in the origin of cancer ...

800 thousand years of primate evolution ...from slumped Proto Hominid, to upright aware moon-walkers, and the countless billions that have lived and died by proxy of disease vicissitudes along the journey ..gurgling through bile and blood for death gasps before their eyes drew vacant.   Just mask -

Digression 1: Society's replacing humility and reserved calculated approach, with faux conception of control will attempt to stop the pandemic with roll-backs on policy.  Mask, hand sanitizing this, showing up in bedrooms as coital police to stop tongue pleasing wives.  And none of it can ultimately work.

Arrogance and conceit, or is it instinct? 

Digression 2: Believing in our significance,  prominence to the extent that we should not have to abide the natural forces that gave us existence - it seems that's really the most consistent aspect about Humanity since that fateful day some million years ago whence the theorized Super Nova's Cosmic Ray burst upon the Earth, mutated are ancestral root's 'brain-gene.'  Arthur C. Clarke may not have been that far off for his fictional view, when/where the benefiting genius ape first picked up the burning branch and realized he could cook meat ... Ever since that moment, this war we wage against the nature that put us here has raged. 

The ultimate f-u dad - or probably mom is more apropos. 

Digression 3: The universe is just an analog engine, disguising as metaphor.  We see repeating patterns everywhere - it's just reprising fractals with slightly variant this or that as though it wants to confuse and befuddle the observer from realizing that 'the agency' really is not very creative.  It is in fact more like ... re-imagining the same play, over and over again, just staged with different colors and set designs. 

The comparison of the borderline recalcitrant teenager informing authority in irreverence what they can go do with their advise: we are that adolescent species ( which face it... we are not adult - not even f'n close!). Humanity is in constant conflict to disconnect themselves from our dependency on the parental nature - that is an example of the great reprising Cosmos.   It's everywhere.  If you look you will begin to sense and see the repeating patterns.

filling the ad infinitum's 90 billion light years of reality in all direction, with mere repeating coincidences in disguise?  'should' spark suspicion that we are being played by something.  LOL 

Be that as it may ...and having succeeded at giving the reader a nascent migraine ( which was really all I wanted :axe: ) masks will only deteriorate the health of the individuals wearing them.  I have a feeling natural will win this argument - the melees and altercations and this and that in the general gestalt theme, that is in fact that nature asserting its proxy.  And the comedy of conceit's folly is that we only think those impulse ... repulse reactions are by choice.

• Thanks 1