Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

19 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Broken elbows suck hard. Two more weeks till PT starts. I've got good extension, but flex is stuck at 90 degrees. Awesome metal hardware.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

2c22a92b424b0c538c7bc5193de26620.jpg

That stuff coming out?  Or are you forever getting a cavity search by TSA for setting off the metal detectors?

29 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Broken elbows suck hard. Two more weeks till PT starts. I've got good extension, but flex is stuck at 90 degrees. Awesome metal hardware.

I read the hardware was expensive. Are the screws made out of gold at least?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I can see that, but if someone is on chemo with a compromised immune system and catches pneumonia and dies, is the cause of death marked as "chemotherapy"? 

The cause in this example would probably be given as complications from cancer, which would actually be a decent parallel here.  If your point is that some deaths chalked up to covid were as much or more related to comorbidities, then ok I concur.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, radarman said:

The cause in this example would probably be given as complications from cancer, which would actually be a decent parallel here.  If your point is that some deaths chalked up to covid were as much or more related to comorbidities, then ok I concur.

Yeah, that’s all I am saying. 

56 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Similar thing basically forced my dad into retirement. Fell off the back of the semi truck he was driving and broke his elbow. He never regained flexibility or strength in that arm and couldn’t drive truck anymore. He couldn’t go back to his original career as an HVAC tech either with a 50% arm. I think he was 64 at the time. 

20 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Still haven’t used my pool this month.  Today May break that streak. 

The kids have, but I’m a wimp

I turned the heater on and mine is 84. I hate cold water!

I have an half inch a day leak. Light niche. I’ve had it epoxied before but it’s a lost cause. The pool company is coming next week to put a lexican plastic plate on with a new gasket to seal it off. I’m tired of losing water and having to constantly keep adding salt. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, weathafella said:

You’d be surprised at how many legit research ideas are concocted while dumping....

Lol. That’s not BS. I’ve had really good ideas that way, or in the shower, driving. 
Tuesday morning I was driving to work and cursing traffic when it dawned on my I was analyzing the wrong phenotype. My graphs weren’t looking like they should and sitting in traffic I figured out why. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Lawyers have no shame in general. I can't stand most of them.

We like to blame the lawyers but it is some idiot who goes into their office with the idea they have a case that gets things going.  Ex the infamous McDonalds coffee was too hot case.  It is not just the lawyer who has no shame there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

That stuff coming out?  Or are you forever getting a cavity search by TSA for setting off the metal detectors?

Between my hip and rod in my back its a PIA every time I fly, I used to have to do everything but take my pants off, now they have those phone booth looking things that go quicker.

4 minutes ago, klw said:

We like to blame the lawyers but it is some idiot who goes into their office with the idea they have a case that gets things going.  Ex the infamous McDonalds coffee was too hot case.  It is not just the lawyer who has no shame there.

It definitely takes two to tango.

One thing about the classic coffee case. If you read about it, the coffee was legit way too hot. Like boiling temp. Way beyond where it needed to be. A lot of people assume it was just regular coffee. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I haven’t noticed or heard of any weird behavior or odd upticks in legal but I wouldn’t hear about it in this short term way.  More long term trends trickle down outside of the legal depts, not short term suits.

It's far from new.  In 1974, 2 years before I started with Seven Islands, 2 guys were bar-hopping in NH (takes a lot of miles to hop more than once) until they finally go cut off after a spell in Errol.  Then they headed down Rt 16, not the straightest road, until the driver put his Beetle in the ditch at speed and crashed into the end of a culvert placed for a logging road.  Driver had minor injuries (isn't that the way?) but his chum became a paraplegic and the lawsuits began.  Started with NH DOT as the culvert was within the Rt 16 ROW but NH chose not to entertain the suit - most/all states have that sovereign option.  The bartender in Errol settled out of court, while the badly injured guys lawyers went after Volkswagon of America, James River (road was built to access their forest land) and Seven Island, because JR had to cross a tiny corner of 7-I land (~40') to get to theirs.  After several months 7-I managed to get excluded from the suits, but by then the legal bill was $27,000 - in 1974 dollars.  My 1st year's pay as a graduate forester (started 1st Monday of Jan '76) was $10,000, by far the most I'd ever earned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Can come out in a year if it bothers me. It's titanium, so shouldn't set off the detector

The plate and 4 screws in my neck from fusion surgery at C-4 are also titanium.  They've been there since April 2011 and I've had no issue with them (including with TSA) though the fusion is long complete and their only function now is to make for pretty X-rays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I have an half inch a day leak. Light niche. I’ve had it epoxied before but it’s a lost cause. The pool company is coming next week to put a lexican plastic plate on with a new gasket to seal it off. I’m tired of losing water and having to constantly keep adding salt. 

Just found a hose leak in mine.  Oh well.  Those degrade over a few years

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Just found a hose leak in mine.  Oh well.  Those degrade over a few years

That’s pretty easy to replace. 
My light niche leaked and was epoxied 10 years ago. I had the liner changed last October and I think the epoxy got chipped and started leaking again. I got more putty on it but it’s not going to work. So $2500 to take up pavers, dig it out and replace it, or $250 to cover it. I elected to cover it.  
#firstworldproblems 

9 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

That’s pretty easy to replace. 
My light niche leaked and was epoxied 10 years ago. I had the liner changed last October and I think the epoxy got chipped and started leaking again. I got more putty on it but it’s not going to work. So $2500 to take up pavers, dig it out and replace it, or $250 to cover it. I elected to cover it.  
#firstworldproblems 

Yeah. The hose is no biggie. I just need to get the new one and drain the pool to the level of the opening then replace and refill then balance etc.  

Your problem is a bit bigger

2 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

A friend of mine had a leak in his pool and used flex tape, worked like a charm.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

A friend of mine had a leak in his pool and used flex tape, worked like a charm.

That works depending where it is. Once the plastic light niches start to leak, they’re hard to patch. Mine is cracked on the edge so you can’t build any putty up on it. If you do, the light won’t seat correctly. So I’m basically stuck either replacing it or closing it up. 

18 hours ago, PhineasC said:

It definitely takes two to tango.

One thing about the classic coffee case. If you read about it, the coffee was legit way too hot. Like boiling temp. Way beyond where it needed to be. A lot of people assume it was just regular coffee. 

Dont even get me started on how hot they used to make those little apple pie things.  

• Like 1