Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

25 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Fox News is owned by the same elite rich class that owns all the other TV networks. The idea that they are the "opposition" is just made-up theater for the masses. Like a fake professional wrestling feud.

Yeah they are all the same.  The TV actors on Fox and MSNBC are just that, actors.  They know how to get their audience going.  If someone gives you that type of paycheck, you’ll say whatever slant they want you to take.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

This should be handled at the community, business, and family level. Businesses can feel free to close down to unvaccinated if they choose. Very few to none have done so, however, which is pretty telling IMO.

A business owner would be a fool to only allow vaccinated people into their business if they want to stay in business.

7 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

It really is poisonous. I dumped Facebook in January and don’t miss it at all 

I cut out all social media. This is the only "social" site on which I post. Getting rid of Facebook was awesome. Trying to get my wife to dump it too. She has her's so curated it's just travel and recipe stuff now though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Why do we need the Government to tell us where it came from when we have experts in the field doing it?

None of these "experts" have access to anything in China. They are just guessing or taking the word of the Chinese on things. 

There are a lot of powerful people wrapped up in all of this so no surprise the truth will never come out. We will kick the can until the next pandemic erupts in the same way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I cut out all social media. This is the only "social" site on which I post. Getting rid of Facebook was awesome. Trying to get my wife to dump it too. She has her's so curated it's just travel and recipe stuff now though.

I mostly use Twitter for local or breaking news, just avoid the comments.

Never felt compelled to use Facebook...way too much oversharing.

I do find it absolutely hilarious that people are “worried about the long term effects of a vaccine” but don’t give a second thought to pounding alcohol, smoking copious amounts of weed, and generally treating their bodies like absolute garbage. I’m afraid of the vaccine but all 3 of my daily meals are fried in lard, no problem.

• Like 2

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I do find it absolutely hilarious that people are “worried about the long term effects of a vaccine” but don’t give a second thought to pounding alcohol, smoking copious amounts of weed, and generally treating their bodies like absolute garbage. I’m afraid of the vaccine but all 3 of my daily meals are fried in lard, no problem.

But that lard is "all natural", so it's a healthy choice.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I don’t see too much Covid talk anymore on FB.   Twitter is an entirely different story.   

16 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

The flip side of this is also true. People who are deathly afraid of COVID but have no issue being a "healthy" 300 lbs are out there. Plenty of supposed "experts" out there now pushing the idea you can be morbidly obese and healthy at the same time. Obesity-related illnesses kill way more people than COVID.

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The flip side of this is also true. People who are deathly afraid of COVID but have no issue being a "healthy" 300 lbs are out there. Plenty of supposed "experts" out there now pushing the idea you can be morbidly obese and healthy at the same time. Obesity-related illnesses kill way more people than COVID.

Sound like you've been dabbling into critical fat studies.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Facebook is a cesspool…. It’s a platform for people to complain about things.  Instagram to me as someone who likes photos is great and it still has a “positive vibe” with a much less serious (read political) slant.  It’s a fun social page.

Even this forum has slanted much more serious discussion in this thread. Two years ago the banter thread was just nonsense lol.  It’s a slippery slope with social, the more complaining you allow, the more that comes.  “Air thy grievances.”

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My work life might certainly be affected, and my wife’s and my daughter’s schooling.  
Hoping for the best.   

As Whineminster (and others) have mentioned, hopefully this is a minor “surge” and it dies off soon.  

I saw some modeling the other day (can't remember where) that had this wave peaking in the US in October with about 800 deaths per day on average and then dropping.  That was a "most likely" scenario with a range of scenarios on the table.

It will be interesting to see what happens in schools in the next month or two.  More schools will be doing in person learning than last year.  Even if the same mitigation measures are in place as last year, which may not be the case in some areas, they may not hold up quite as well in the face of a more transmissable variant.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Facebook is a cesspool…. It’s a platform for people to complain about things.  Instagram to me as someone who likes photos is great and it still has a “positive vibe” with a much less serious (read political) slant.  It’s a fun social page.

Even this forum has slanted much more serious discussion in this thread. Two years ago the banter thread was just nonsense lol.  It’s a slippery slope with social, the more complaining you allow, the more that comes.  “Air thy grievances.”

I yearn for those days again

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I yearn for those days again

Haha this was the thread where you guys would move the 2 pages of posts in a row about whether it’s humid or COC outside and then remind us all to keep the weather thread clear of banter.

Now banter means solving all societal problems on a daily basis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Weather.gov, Americanwx.com, and Orioles.com only.  Ignorance is bliss.

Orioles.com is too depressing for me.

I wish I could totally avoid the clown world stuff, but I have to pay attention to Federal employment regulations and changes in the HR field. It's getting kind of hard to be a Federal contractor and not be forced to basically be racist and sexist towards certain groups. We are still small enough to be able to dodge most things like mandatory CRT training, at least.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We joined FB back when dial-up was our only option and wanted grandkid pics without a 2-hour download wait.  :fulltilt:
I've found that when I stopped reacting to or commenting on the political-poison posts, I stopped receiving them.  An FB algorithm that was actually useful?  Who knew?  Now it's back to family and friends, plus a few outside subjects, classical music, Maine Cabin Masters, the group for the lake community where we grew up, Friends of Norway (where wife's grandparents were born) and similar stuff.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

We joined FB back when dial-up was our only option and wanted grandkid pics without a 2-hour download wait.  :fulltilt:
I've found that when I stopped reacting to or commenting on the political-poison posts, I stopped receiving them.  An FB algorithm that was actually useful?  Who knew?  Now it's back to family and friends, plus a few outside subjects, classical music, Maine Cabin Masters, the group for the lake community where we grew up, Friends of Norway (where wife's grandparents were born) and similar stuff.

Who knew?  When I worked for the feds I kept all political opinions to myself.  That hasn’t changed given how much easier it is to discuss wx and family without the rabble rousing.

• Like 1

Just now, tamarack said:

Facebook became pretty terrible this time last summer, between the election and the virus. It was freaking relentless with the "fake news" tags they put on basically everything. I couldn't stand it anymore. It definitely felt like I was sitting in a brainwashing chair with my eyes stuck open watching a screen.

I also realized the virus and political stuff had really scrambled the brains of some people who I thought were pretty reasonable and open to debate in the past (in both directions --  plenty of people I know started on that "Q" bullshit last summer).

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1