Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

6 hours ago, mreaves said:

Oh, I don't know? Eustis, The Forks?  Not Rangeley though, I have been watching real estate there for some friends who want to buy a camp.  The prices are crazy.  The realtors have told my friends to wait a year or two when all the wealthy out of staters decide they want to be back in the city.

I'd be single again if i told the wife were moving up there.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, rimetree said:

Saw an albino porcupine earlier this evening walking along the road. Looked liked a giant, walking cotton ball. Wish I had stopped to take a pic but there were already a couple of cars pulled over with people trying to usher it back into the woods.

Saw an albino turkey with two small albinos with it, should have taken a pic.

17 hours ago, mreaves said:

Oh, I don't know? Eustis, The Forks?  Not Rangeley though, I have been watching real estate there for some friends who want to buy a camp.  The prices are crazy.  The realtors have told my friends to wait a year or two when all the wealthy out of staters decide they want to be back in the city.

Rangeley prices have been thru the roof for decades, especially for waterfront.  By now, a house on the lake is probably in the "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" range.

• Like 1

Just now, tamarack said:

Rangeley prices have been thru the roof for decades, especially for waterfront.  By now, a house on the lake is probably in the "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" range.

As with most housing, they got semi-affordable in the 2011-2013 time range near the bottom in real estate post-recession. We went up there and noticed a lot of pretty nice lakefront homes on sale for less than 500k....many under 400k. I'm not talking those 5-6 bedroom monstrosities right on Rangeley Lake...but like your typical 2 or 3 bed camps. There were probably a lot of families dumping their vacation homes because of the recession crunch.

A lot of those same ones we saw are prob like 600-800k now.

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

Lots of letters and cold calls to sell our house.    One of my neighbors (who was thinking of retirement anyway) took them up on it and is moving to Lake Sunapee NH where it's not as crazed as here.    

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

I know some of you have had to been to concerts at the Bank of NH Pavilion. Is it a decent concert venue? I'm going to see the Black Crowes Saturday night.

If you're under the pavillion the sound is good.  the sight lines and sound on the lawn leave a lot to be desired, but it's been 10 years since ive been so maybe they've made some changes.  iirc, they have an early-ish curfew - 10 i believe.  parking lot is laid back fwiw.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Should be an interesting NFL season as I doubt 50% of the Bills players got vaccine.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31863308/nfl-warning-teams-covid-19-outbreaks-unvaccinated-players-lead-forfeited-games

Good. Play with who you have. If you can’t field a team, forfeit. Vegas will no doubt love this. 

6 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Just in time for mask mandates to return!

The feds can’t mandate anything other than federal property and interstate transportation.  
Baker said today mask mandates aren’t coming back. Cities and towns can “urge”, but without a statewide declaration of emergency, it’s not a mandate. Dirty looks I can handle. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The number out of Florida today ranks among the top case days from last summer's surge there, when there was no vaccine.  This is not to speak negatively of the vaccines.  It just shows that Delta is very good at getting to people.

Or could just be seasonality, we spiked the same time last year and will decrease in Sept. This will be no different for northern states when people stay indoors from November to March.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Or could just be seasonality, we spiked the same time last year and will decrease in Sept. This will be no different for northern states when people stay indoors from November to March.

Sure there is seasonality.  But think of this.  Over 10 million people have been vaccinated in Florida, which is just about half of the state.  Plus whatever degree of immunity exists from being previously infected (though I have read that Delta may be able to better reinfect people who previously had covid, so who knows).  It's a much different playing field than last summer.

It can’t be said enough. This is nothing more than a casedemic for those who are vaccinated. There is a minuscule shot of anything resembling serious illness in those who are fully vaccinated, even if you happen to have a breakthrough case.

I think the issue is less the delta variant, and more the fact that vaccination numbers are shockingly low in a large portion of the country 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It can’t be said enough. This is nothing more than a casedemic for those who are vaccinated. There is a minuscule shot of anything resembling serious illness in those who are fully vaccinated, even if you happen to have a breakthrough case.

I think the issue is less the delta variant, and more the fact that vaccination numbers are shockingly low in a large portion of the country 

If people are not vaccinated, that is on them. None of the unvaccinated are asking mommy government to lock everyone down because they chose not to get vaccinated. It's the exact opposite, actually. 

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

The number out of Florida today ranks among the top case days from last summer's surge there, when there was no vaccine.  This is not to speak negatively of the vaccines.  It just shows that Delta is very good at getting to people.

you can't compare anything from this summer to last -apples and oranges.  For the most part, there were no concerts, no major indoor sporting events, and very few indoor weddings or other large gatherings last summer.  people have moved on - vaccinated or not - and things are open.  of course cases are going to go up.

47 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

There’s a lot more smart and informed people in the country than they thought and not nearly as many sheep as predicted.  The lines in the sand were drawn well in advance 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 5