Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

57 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

My mom won of those on the radio lol . We didn’t know what it was to it showed up 

My car two weeks ago died . Got a better new car last week , excited every time I drive it 

KIa technicians are going to look at my dead car to see if the open recall on engine seizing is responsible for engine seizing , that would be nice 

didn't you forget to top off the oil?:lol:

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Seriously though ...

I have family back in western lower Michigan.  The region still has it's ills but by and large, it is apparently improved tremendously.  Lots of newer construction and of course, Kalamazoo is a college town with a couple universities.   Kids are graduating and staying in the area because houses are cheap by our standards by factors actually.   500 K property here is like 80 ..90 K there.   You could sell your house, and by one out right there, and the only thing sacrificed is big snow winters - lol... which may be worth it, I dunno. 

But I've been thinking about it.  I keep getting mail fliers and postcards, and random cold calls and texts from anxious home buyers.

But I don't get it - if they are going to by my property and raise the fugger and build a new one.   How are they going resell ?  I'm not sure I get the economic circuitry here.  I don't juggle concepts in real-estate economics like atmospheric telecon spreads -

Real estate agents just want some inventory to sell....we've gotten cold calls too. Because so little is on the market right now, they don't get their commissions.

As for the more ambitious developers, they just want the land. They can buy a little ranch for 500-600k in a nice town, level it, and rebuild a McMansion for 200k and then resell the thing at 1.1 million easily after being all-in at 700-800k.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I make that comment to my wife when we are shocked at how much our house has appreciated in value since we bought it in early 2017. I say "We could sell and pocket hundreds of thousands of dollars....but then we'd have to overpay for an even more expensive house".....lol.

I guess we could make a killing if we just sold and moved to Rumford Maine or something. :lol:

I told my wife we should list the house, sell it, pocket the 300-400k and live in our cars until the market comes back down.:lol:

In all seriousness, a guy I worked with did probably the best thing you could do. Late last year he sold his house he had just paid off, made a ridiculous amount over asking, pocketed all of, and is living in an in law with his daughter now. He said when the market comes back to earth he’ll probably buy a small condo with his wife.

The dude pocketed at least half a million dollars 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Real estate agents just want some inventory to sell....we've gotten cold calls too. Because so little is on the market right now, they don't get their commissions.

As for the more ambitious developers, they just want the land. They can buy a little ranch for 500-600k in a nice town, level it, and rebuild a McMansion for 200k and then resell the thing at 1.1 million easily after being all-in at 700-800k.

Yeah,... I figured it something like this.  But Ayer? - yeaheh...

Maybe Sutton Ma or Auburn I dunno...   Ayer's still having a bit of post side of the tracks vibe, albeit mashing in with that boom wave and some earlier professionals trying to gentrify. 

I live with the Purple line rail across the street - literally.  And freights are parked and bangin' away there often too.  It sucks.   I mean I guess in any point of sale I wouldn't mention that, haha.  But I almost wonder if these cold callers have any clue about those details.  What is interesting is that my lot is probably the biggest on this block, but the house is tiny. It's like a little cape with a 2nd floor.  I guess the old salt, middle Massachusetts old school racist with the garbled cantankerous voice tells me it was a barn 100 years ago and was modulated over the generations into this quasi-finished home.  I've put more money into this place than I really should have.   I just replaced the windows 7 k - f!   New back roof.  Referbed the foundation.   New flooring.  Running out of ambition for it. 

13 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I've looked at those for our next vehicle.  What don't you like about them?

The main thing is I miss the V8 power, which is more a reflection of my personal choices than the quality of GMC trucks. I'd been wanting to jump down to a mid-size pickup since I don't do any real heavy hauling or towing, but the Canyon just feels underpowered in everyday use. The gearbox is sluggish, especially climbing hills, and braking is rather spongy... I get that it's a truck and not a sports car, but it wouldn't out-maneuver some of the much bigger trucks that I've had.  Otherwise, a handful of little grievances, mostly around the interior. The backup cam keeps going offline, and I'm scheduled to bring it in so they can find the loose wire. The wireless charging platform, which admittedly is totally unnecessary, is too small to fit any modern cell phone. That's a real "what's the point?" moment. Gas mileage a bit worse than the estimated 16/22, combined with a small tank, means I'm filling up every 300 miles or so. That said, the ride is smooth, there's plenty of storage, and mechanically it hasn't skipped a beat in the first 6 months/8k miles.

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah,... I figured it something like this.  But Ayer? - yeaheh...

Maybe Sutton Ma or Auburn I dunno...   Ayer's still having a bit of post side of the tracks vibe, albeit mashing in with that boom wave and some earlier professionals trying to gentrify. 

I live with the Purple line rail across the street - literally.  And freights are parked and bangin' away there often too.  It sucks.   I mean I guess in any point of sale I wouldn't mention that, haha.  But I almost wonder if these cold callers have any clue about those details.  What is interesting is that my lot is probably the biggest on this block, but the house is tiny. It's like a little cape with a 2nd floor.  I guess the old salt, middle Massachusetts old school racist with the garbled cantankerous voice tells me it was a barn 100 years ago and was modulated over the generations into this quasi-finished home.  I've put more money into this place than I really should have.   I just replaced the windows 7 k - f!   New back roof.  Referbed the foundation.   New flooring.  Running out of ambition for it. 

Ayer is one of those towns where values are sneakily rising without people noticing too much.  Good location.  Rte 2& 495 right there.  A hospital. Devens is growing.  Commuter rail as you mentioned. 

You could make out well. 

55 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I bought a new 2021 Canyon Denali in February at a reasonable price, so I assume that was just before the market really went nuts. The salesman was going on about how I wouldn't be able to find a new truck in a few months' time. At the time I brushed it off as a slightly embellished version of the usual shtick, but in retrospect, I guess he was right. 

It turned out to not be my favorite truck ever. If someone offered me over sticker price for it, I'd probably hand them the keys on the spot. 

I was sort of looking in Feb, and there was plenty of inventory for what I wanted. i kept my eye on it and noticed that inventory was getting depleted quickly. my old Truck forced my hand, as I needed to put $5k into it, which I was not going to do for a 10 year old truck, so I ended up getting lucky and finding exactly what I was looking for in mid-March. when all was said and done, I paid $8k under sticker. like I said, I got lucky.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Same realtor has called me 3 times to see if i want to sell, But he can't answer the question of where am i going to find another place if i sell mine?  ha ha.

Oh, I don't know? Eustis, The Forks?  Not Rangeley though, I have been watching real estate there for some friends who want to buy a camp.  The prices are crazy.  The realtors have told my friends to wait a year or two when all the wealthy out of staters decide they want to be back in the city.

6 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

except some people are starting to blame and/or be vocal about the vaccinated people as being responsible for continually spreading the virus. I chose to get jabbed, but don't start telling me I'm now part of the problem. wtf. sick of this crap

Those whiners need to get the "beam" out of their own eyes before complaining about the "mote" in the vaccinated.

3 hours ago, dryslot said:

There and in Jay Maine, People can't leave those mill towns fast enough or afford too.

At least Rumford is still buying roundwood, and ND opened an idled paper machine that uses more softwoods so that we sometimes actually get positive revenue from spruce-fir pulp.  (20 years ago it was worth 5 times what hardwood brought; now it's closer to 1/10 or even below zero - sell it just to conduct proper silviculture and not leave a mess.)  If the price of purchased pulp goes up much, I anticipate that Pixelle will cut and run, and the market for an older mill without a digester is mighty thin.

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Ayer home values up 21% vs last year. Not bad

Yeah I know...  which is up 15 from the year before, which was up 10 from the year before that, and a hand full of 3% in the years prior since I purchased this place in the autumn of 2009.  Again, been here longer than I ever anticipated - it was a bout up unemployment.  Has a way of extending plans exponentially - geez.  But, all told, it's like 60 .. 70% appreciated in those 10.5 years.  Not sure if that means my house, per se.. but it tends to market-pull by regional value gravity from what I'm told, and 'sides, the barometer is the all the damn cold calling.  But like others are saying, where does one go ?  Unless I choose to cut ties with the region

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I had the "full body cavity search" about 15 years ago coming home from the DC Conference.  My flight was delayed, than cancelled due to t-storms and I scrambled to find a flight on another carrier.  My benefit to finding one was being the receiver of a "triple".

Hopefully you had enough dingleberries to deter the process for the rest of us.....

• Haha 1