• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

So I’m at the dealer right now…. Love the car. I haven’t revealed I have financing yet. But I did find out they will not do business with any bank that isn’t in their “dealer network” or whatever. I know already that Bank of America is in that network; but that’s pretty crazy.

You basically can’t come in with financing from your local credit union, they’ll turn it down.

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it’s the only appliance I’ve ever got extended warranties on.  Our washer broke within a year of getting it.  Took two weeks for a repairman to get the part and put it in. Covered by warranty but man two weeks without a washer in the winter with daily ski clothes sucked lol.  Running to the laundromat every like 4th day to make sure base layers and socks are stocked up.

Not long after moving to the small Ft. Kent house noted above, the old-fashioned piston pump became unreliable - had to go down to the cellar and give a shove to the flywheel to unstick it, repeatedly.  Also, the water had a sulfur-y aroma.  The only laundromat in town had just closed so every Saturday for about 4 months we'd pack the laundry down to CAR to use one there - became quite familiar with the little museum across the street, also picked up an old leaky parlor stove (as airtight as a lobster trap) to put in the cellar for when temps dropped under -20 and the small Jotul in the kitchen wouldn't furnish.  Then we bought/installed a Sears "Captive-air" pump, and instead of a flush requiring one or more  downstairs/restarts to fill the tank we could flush twice before the new one had to work.  Sulfur smell was gone, too.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There's definitely some that are overreacting to it. It's unfortunate when it affects everyone else.

I'm a "petty cynicist"   ... heh.

I sort of automatically attempt to ferret out the "real" motivation when I read/encounter these sort of musings. 

Humans do that.  Throughout history, we cloak real intent/ ambitions behind some other disttracting righteous indignation. 

In other words, lie what's bugging us,  in order to get something else we really want - that which inspires some sort of personal reflection or guilt or something of probably questionable ethicality.

In this case, people don't want to work. COVID fears ...  that's a seemingly endless cash-in excuse.. For those that will probably still get paid or can rely on supplemental means...etc, my cynicism wonders if that's more instrumental in that morass.

That simple.

I'm probably wrong to some degree.  But I know I'm partially right.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So I’m at the dealer right now…. Love the car. I haven’t revealed I have financing yet. But I did find out they will not do business with any bank that isn’t in their “dealer network” or whatever. I know already that Bank of America is in that network; but that’s pretty crazy.

You basically can’t come in with financing from your local credit union, they’ll turn it down.

That is bizarre....they wouldn't take a check from a credit union and get a car off their lot?

Sounds like posturing to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SouthCoastMA said:

And this is why we need to stop the case counts - they are doing their job (so far)..in preventing serious illness. 

Morse reported most individuals are experiencing "mild symptoms." According to medical experts, fully vaccinated individuals are far less likely to become severely ill, and hospitalized, if infected with COVID-19.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/cape-cod-covid-19-cluster-grows-130-infected/story?id=78956381

except some people are starting to blame and/or be vocal about the vaccinated people as being responsible for continually spreading the virus. I chose to get jabbed, but don't start telling me I'm now part of the problem. wtf. sick of this crap

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Do you have a check in hand from BOA?

15 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

that's BS. We have used our own CU many times without issue. Worst case, finance with the dealer, then refi with your bank a month or so later.

27 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Dealers feel like they have the upper hand right now and their profits seem to indicate that they are correct.  I'm not sure how many hoops they will jump through to get you to buy, it's not like they have a ton of inventory on the lot right now.  It may not be the best time to buy a car, if you don't absolutely have to,

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35695042/car-sales-tanked-in-2020-but-dealerships-had-their-most-profitable-year-ever/

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/is-now-the-time-to-buy-sell-or-trade-in-a-used-car/

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Bought my last couple vehicles with cash. Man, that was so easy. I remember the financing days. Very annoying process.

Now I am in and out in like 30-45 mins. 

To be fair, that's the way it should work with outside financing.  I've always wanted to be able to deal with my credit union and be able to just take the money in cash and plop down on the dealer's desk.  I don't think the have the right to refuse "outside" financing anyway.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Dealers feel like they have the upper hand right now and their profits seem to indicate that they are correct.  I'm not sure how many hoops they will jump through to get you to buy, it's not like they have a ton of inventory on the lot right now.  It may not be the best time to buy a car, if you don't absolutely have to,

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35695042/car-sales-tanked-in-2020-but-dealerships-had-their-most-profitable-year-ever/

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/is-now-the-time-to-buy-sell-or-trade-in-a-used-car/

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Bought my last couple vehicles with cash. Man, that was so easy. I remember the financing days. Very annoying process.

Now I am in and out in like 30-45 mins. 

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The dealer has the upper hand right now just like the seller in the housing market, I just bought a 2019 Kia and they would not budge on the price.

6 minutes ago, mreaves said:

To be fair, that's the way it should work with outside financing.  I've always wanted to be able to deal with my credit union and be able to just take the money in cash and plop down on the dealer's desk.  I don't think the have the right to refuse "outside" financing anyway.

They would not move on the price of the vehicle I was buying… they were prepared to to let me walk. 

The truck I was trading in is in excellent condition and is fully loaded with a bunch of extras. They originally offered me towards the lower end of kbb and I said no way… I ended up getting a bit more than KBB value for the truck:.. I had a number in my head I wanted to get too, and I got to it, just not how I envisioned it happening.

The salesman said if I wanted to buy new their would probably be more wiggle room than used right now 

10 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Yes, very true. Not sure why a dealer would have an issue with that unless the deal is super marginal and they need the little extra bonus cash they get for pushing the manufacturer financing.

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

They would not move on the price of the vehicle I was buying… they were prepared to to let me walk. 

The truck I was trading in is in excellent condition and is fully loaded with a bunch of extras. They originally offered me towards the lower end of kbb and I said no way… I ended up getting a bit more than KBB value for the truck:.. I had a number in my head I wanted to get too, and I got to it, just not how I envisioned it happening.

The salesman said if I wanted to buy new their would probably be more wiggle room than used right now 

Trying to buy new is almost impossible right now as they have no inventory because of the computer chip shortage, They won't even let the customer order a vehicle with the options they want at the dealer i was at And its Rowe here in Auburn who has like 6 dealerships, A friend of mine was not even in the market to sell his 2018 GMC Denali pick up, He was at the dealer (O'conners GMC)on some other business and they asked him if he wanted to sell his truck, He said not really but they told him let us make you an offer anyways, They came back and offered him $3,000 more then he paid 3 yrs ago so he sold it on the spot, That's how hard up these dealers are for inventory and the reason why used pricing is high, If you don't buy it, The next person will, When i committed to my Kia, They had someone else come in an hour later to buy it who tried it out after me.

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yes, very true. Not sure why a dealer would have an issue with that unless the deal is super marginal and they need the little extra bonus cash they get for pushing the manufacturer financing.

There making money on the financing that's why they will steer you away from your own financing.

• Like 1

Here's a reassuring article on breakthrough cases in Utah that includes references to recent studies done elsewhere on breakthrough cases, and why "breakthrough" is a bit of a misnomer:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/07/16/andy-larsen-breakthrough

Some excerpts:

"The abundance of mild cases among the fully vaccinated has led some scientists to argue that we should redefine “breakthrough” cases. Their point is that some large percentage of these positive tests are actually only infecting people in their upper respiratory tract, where the primary immune system that reigns is mucosal immunity, not the blood-based immunity that the vaccines create. In other words, it’s not that these infections are “breaking through” the protection built by the vaccine, they just never reach it at all. It’s an interesting argument."

The study:
https://www.jci.org/articles/view/151186

Another excerpt from the above article regarding a recent study of breakthrough cases in Israel:

Avg age of hospitalized breakthroughs in Israel = 71. Most had preexisting comorbidities.

"...it’s generally those who were at highest risk of hospitalization before who need to worry most about breakthrough infections.

To wit, in the Israel study, there were six people who were hospitalized with breakthrough infections of COVID-19 without comorbidities, and all six have had what the study called “good outcomes.”

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Trying to buy new is almost impossible right now as they have no inventory because of the computer chip shortage, They won't even let the customer order a vehicle with the options they want at the dealer i was at And its Rowe here in Auburn who has like 6 dealerships, A friend of mine was not even in the market to sell his 2018 GMC Denali pick up, He was at the dealer (O'conners GMC)on some other business and they asked him if he wanted to sell his truck, He said not really but they told him let us make you an offer anyways, They came back and offered him $3,000 more then he paid 3 yrs ago so he sold it on the spot, That's how hard up these dealers are for inventory and the reason why used pricing is high, If you don't buy it, The next person will, When i committed to my Kia, They had someone else come in an hour later to buy it who tried it out after me.

It is the same with ATVs and sleds.  When I found the used sled I bought this past February, I jumped on it immediately.  By the time I got there to look at it, the guy told me he had 8 or 9 other calls after me and several asking that he call them if I ended up not buying it.  I had earlier lost out on a deal when a guy had two to sell and the first person to come and look bought both.

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

There making money on the financing that's why they will steer you away from your own financing.

They try and steer you towards their financing but I don't think they can require you to use it though, can they?  If they give you a better price by using it, take it and then re-finance with your preferred lender.  I've done that before.

15 minutes ago, dryslot said:

They also can close the deal on the spot. Outside financing gives you a chance of backing out.

Drive in with your old vehicle, close the deal, and drive away in your new vehicle in a couple hours all the while never leaving that chair. 

As long as you know the rate you can get elsewhere you can usually get them to match it, or maybe even beat it.

7 minutes ago, mreaves said:

It is the same with ATVs and sleds.  When I found the used sled I bought this past February, I jumped on it immediately.  By the time I got there to look at it, the guy told me he had 8 or 9 other calls after me and several asking that he call them if I ended up not buying it.  I had earlier lost out on a deal when a guy had two to sell and the first person to come and look bought both.

They try and steer you towards their financing but I don't think they can require you to use it though, can they?  If they give you a better price by using it, take it and then re-finance with your preferred lender.  I've done that before.

I have not been in the market to buy anything in several years but it looks like that has changed today, And i agree, If you drag your feet on pulling the trigger on something it will be gone when you go back to get it, As far as the dealer financing goes, There was not a lot of difference in the rate from the credit union with there lender so i just went with there's.

3 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

We bought a new washer 6 years ago. It was delivered, hooked up, and proceeded to flood the laundry room within 5 minutes. 
Had a kitchen aid dishwasher crap out after 9 years, but I figured it lasted ok and bought another one. My Jenn Aire fridge is 13 and still cranking. 

They don’t make them like they used to.   We moved into this house in 2015 and it had a 1997 subzero fridge.   We had to replace the thermostat last summer ($400) so we got off easy.   Those refrigerators of that era can sometimes last 50 years.   In any case, if it blows, we’re committed to replace it despite the $8-10k but I bet it lasts at least another 5+ years.   The house came with a Maytag washer and drier circa 1979!   The washer crapped out about 3 years ago thanks to our daughter not emptying her pockets and some cheap necklace got into the motor and that was it.  Dryer a year later.  We replaced the washer with a Kenmore and so far so good.   We ended up replacing the dryer with a Maytag but I think that’s now the same as kitchenaide.  I haven’t bought an extended warranty for years-prefer to make a decision based on odds and if I get burned I get burned.   With cars it’s a non issue as we’ve been leasing for about 12 years.

Just now, South Shore Slop said:

They also can close the deal on the spot. Outside financing gives you a chance of backing out.

Drive in with your old vehicle, close the deal, and drive away in your new vehicle in a couple hours all the while never leaving that chair. 

As long as you know the rate you can get elsewhere you can usually get them to match it, or maybe even beat it.

Yes, Just responded to Mike on this.

Just now, weathafella said:

They don’t make them like they used to.   We moved into this house in 2015 and it had a 1997 subzero fridge.   We had to replace the thermostat last summer ($400) so we got off easy.   Those refrigerators of that era can sometimes last 50 years.   In any case, if it blows, we’re committed to replace it despite the $8-10k but I bet it lasts at least another 5+ years.   The house came with a Maytag washer and drier circa 1979!   The washer crapped out about 3 years ago thanks to our daughter not emptying her pockets and some cheap necklace got into the motor and that was it.  Dryer a year later.  We replaced the washer with a Kenmore and so far so good.   We ended up replacing the dryer with a Maytag but I think that’s now the same as kitchenaide.  I haven’t bought an extended warranty for years-prefer to make a decision based on odds and if I get burned I get burned.   With cars it’s a non issue as we’ve been leasing for about 12 years.

Had a GE washer that the repairman was over to fix like 3 times that was only a few years old, I wasn't putting anymore money into it and asked what he suggested, He told me to go with a machine that still had a lot of the older style electronics and just did the basics, He suggested a whirlpool which he told me he never gets calls on and he was right, 6yrs later and have had 0 issues, All of today's appliances are to advanced and some of these companies, Should just stick to TV's, Stay away from LG and Samsung appliances, Numerous problems, And parts are hard to come by.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Had a GE washer that the repairman was over to fix like 3 times that was only a few years old, I wasn't putting anymore money into it and asked what he suggested, He told me to go with a machine that still had a lot of the older style electronics and just did the basics, He suggested a whirlpool which he told me he never gets calls on and he was right, 6yrs later and have had 0 issues, All of today's appliances are to advanced and some of these companies, Should just stick to TV's, Stay away from LG and Samsung appliances, Numerous problems, And parts are hard to come by.

We have a Whirlpool fridge and stove. The Whirlpool fridge replaces a Samsung which lasted 5 years and 1 month.  Enough time for the warranty to expire

9 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Wife just bought a 2020 used Volvo. Dealer wouldn't budge or even throw in an oil change, but gave us a great deal on trade of our Mazda Cx5. We bought it 1yr ago for 33,500 and we got 30,000 for the trade. That's almost better than leasing it.

Could I ask why you changed vehicles ?