Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

7 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Enter crypto.

Although it's treated more like digital gold there's enough variance and development to potentially challenge fiat eventually.

The dollar has been losing its value every year and even more now and that ain't stopping anytime soon with trillions being printed annually.

With cyber attacks likely increasing and probably would More if we only had digital currency I wouldn’t be feeling safe . I want something tangible and also I don’t like the idea of being tied to something where some government had the power to turn off my digital right to access my own funds for any action on my part deemed “bad” 

The dollar loses usually a little value every year (and all good fiat currency is in this same boat - being devalued together as most country’s are near debt Saturation and have low to moderate levels of growth (in a good year ) . It still the strongest of the bunch and it doesn’t lose 20-30 annually like some South American currency’s have done (some of those lose that much in a month) imagine living there w that sort of a currency problem (nightmare !)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

We six of us traveling, it’s not a fluke chance for one of us to flag a positive test. Then two weeks in a hotel. Too risky for us. 

My wife flew internationally last month and both European Union and the US required negative tests 72 hours prior to flying.  It was a pain in the ass and she did it.

Not once on either leg did anyone (not a single person) ask her about COVID testing.  Not airline, not CBP officers.  No customs agents in either direction.  She and other travelers were baffled as as they made such a big point about it online and in Gov’t correspondence.

It obviously wasn’t needed.  No one cared at all.  Even cost like $150 in Europe/Germany to get tested, not a peep from any country or airline she went through.  Lufthansa certainly didn’t care.  But a family of 6 would’ve been $900 in tests!

7 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

With cyber attacks likely increasing and probably would More if we only had digital currency I wouldn’t be feeling safe . I want something tangible and also I don’t like the idea of being tied to something where some government had the power to turn off my digital right to access my own funds for any action on my part deemed “bad” 

The dollar loses usually a little value every year (and all good fiat currency is in this same boat - being devalued together as most country’s are near debt Saturation and have low to moderate levels of growth (in a good year ) . It still the strongest of the bunch and it doesn’t lose 20-30 annually like some South American currency’s have done (some of those lose that much in a month) imagine living there w that sort of a currency problem (nightmare !)

Nothing is really safe. I work in banking and there is more fraud than ever before. I feel like cybersecurity is more easily integrated into crypto than any banking transfers/purchases. Crypto has a large future. 

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Serious question-has this actually happened?   I mean people talk about strangers behind their back but I’ve never seen someone get into some random person’s face from some perceived offense....

Come hang out at a ski resort during Christmas week, lol.  Employees have been spit on, hit, get absolutely railed on verbally, etc.  We even have a radio code 10-77 for it.  Call a 10-77 and you’ll get every manager heading your way and the PD know that code too so they are coming.

Dad had 5 kids to get ready to ski in the morning, 3 of them didn’t want to go, Dad paid big money, kids crying, forgot one kids ski boots at home once he arrives, Mom is pissed off yelling at him for not dropping them off… Dad gets inside Lodge and finds one more minor issue and he absolutely loses his goddamn mind at some $12/hr front-line employee… the police end up coming.

Or Dad spent 5 hours in a suburban with the kids annoying him, he’s tired, gets to hotel to check in and room isn’t ready despite it being check-in time. Boom go the fireworks.

Happens a LOT.  Dad often apologizes saying the kids drive him insane all morning and all he wanted to do was go skiing.  And it’s usually Dad, the Karen moniker applies to males too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You are probably like the people I know who live in Baltimore and try to tell me that getting mugged “isn’t that bad as long as you cooperate and they need the money more than you anyway.” Whatever helps you sleep at night. Wouldn’t catch me anywhere near a homeless encampment in San Fran right now, though. But not having me there means more room for you so win-win!

Ah ok, goal posts start moving when I said something.  "Huge risky hassle to walk down the street in a place like San Fran" = going near a homeless encampment?   San Fran crime is up, fine, but are you genuinely afraid to walk down a city street, or go into a public space because they're "chock full of outbursts" in your day to day?  It happens, I get it.  Inherent risk with living life, just like getting COVID.  Live your life however you want / need to feel safe; but you make it seem like it's wayyyyy worse than it actually is.  I live in a great city and that definitely impacts my own perception, but I travel around to other cities too.  I'm also out in my community every day - even sometimes working with *gasp* those scary homeless peoples.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Come hang out at a ski resort during Christmas week, lol.  Employees have been spit on, hit, get absolutely railed on verbally, etc.  We even have a radio code 10-77 for it.  Call a 10-77 and you’ll get every manager heading your way and the PD know that code too so they are coming.

Dad had 5 kids to get ready to ski in the morning, 3 of them didn’t want to go, Dad paid big money, kids crying, forgot one kids ski boots at home once he arrives, Mom is pissed off yelling at him for not dropping them off… Dad gets inside Lodge and finds one more minor issue and he absolutely loses his goddamn mind at some $12/hr front-line employee… the police end up coming.

Or Dad spent 5 hours in a suburban with the kids annoying him, he’s tired, gets to hotel to check in and room isn’t ready despite it being check-in time. Boom go the fireworks.

Happens a LOT.  Dad often apologizes saying the kids drive him insane all morning and all he wanted to do was go skiing.  And it’s usually Dad, the Karen moniker applies to males too.

The ole just having a bad day apology... But Burglaries are up 62% in San Fran! 

12 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

The ole just having a bad day apology... But Burglaries are up 62% in San Fran! 

I try to only talk about what I know, but over a decade in tourism and hospitality, you’ll see the worst of people from time to time.  And haven’t seen any more or less lately than any other random distribution.  If anything people seem a bit more forgiving like “we are just happy we can do this again” but that period is wearing off.

Anytime someone is spending big money for a vacation though, tensions can run high.  You see more than enough families that almost seem more stressed on vacation because every minute was over-planned… or if they are less stressed I can’t imagine day to day life.

Airline employees have to have the worst of it.  There’s not enough money in the world to stand at an airline counter and be a punching bag of over tired travelers.

• Like 2

Just now, PhineasC said:

Has your hot dog truck been hit by the Wisconsin burglars yet?

Have you been hit in the head? How many times? I have never felt unsafe in, WI.  Disturbing though when a guy is just having a bad day goes on a shooting rampage in-between our home  and the two gas stations at which we do business at is all.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

My wife flew internationally last month and both European Union and the US required negative tests 72 hours prior to flying.  It was a pain in the ass and she did it.

Not once on either leg did anyone (not a single person) ask her about COVID testing.  Not airline, not CBP officers.  No customs agents in either direction.  She and other travelers were baffled as as they made such a big point about it online and in Gov’t correspondence.

It obviously wasn’t needed.  No one cared at all.  Even cost like $150 in Europe/Germany to get tested, not a peep from any country or airline she went through.  Lufthansa certainly didn’t care.  But a family of 6 would’ve been $900 in tests!

Wow that's pricey    Around $53 to get tested before returning to the US in Reykjavik. 

They more than make up for that in car rentals and fermented shark tastings

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Wow that's pricey    Around $53 to get tested before returning to the US in Reykjavik. 

We were only in Iceland for 2 days on the way to Norway 4 years ago, and missed out on that delicacy.  :P
(Enjoyed lots of fish in both nations, though.)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah it was just crazy that not a single person cared or asked for testing results despite so many signs, emails, gov’t websites saying you will not be admitted to the given countries without them etc.  I guess they get the point across and the governments treat it like an honor system but the traveler certainly doesn’t get that opinion/vibe until they’ve already done the test and are traveling. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it was just crazy that not a single person cared or asked for testing results despite so many signs, emails, gov’t websites saying you will not be admitted to the given countries without them etc.  I guess they get the point across and the governments treat it like an honor system but the traveler certainly doesn’t get that opinion/vibe until they’ve already done the test and are traveling. 

Maybe it depends on the country/airline/person working that day?

Most people I have been in contact with regarding travelling to Iceland said they ask for proof of vaccine at the airport and often times at the ticketing counter/gate in the US (depends on the airline too).  Sometimes the people working don't know the current rules, etc.

The time zone thing keeps screwing up the math in my head for when to get tested...lol...72 hours before arrival, 72 hours before departing... subtract the 5, carry the 7... the gozinta factor...

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The dollar is the best of the fiat Currency’s by far as its the international standard . Calls for its demise have been ..I dunno overplayed for decades by people who give the “I hate the fed perspective too much weight “. US bond  market is the most liquid and largest in the world by a mile 

If the dollar is dethroned, it will likely be part of a deep financial reset / crash  and while its prudent to prepare for one, I definitely wouldn’t invest like there will be such a event . 

Yeah, that's a shit hits the fan, currency war scenario and not likely to happen. 

US debt held by foreign powers is worrisome but it's pretty much a mutually assured destruction scenario for all, so the dollar still rules the roost. 

As far as the market goes, you can make some money if you are savvy but it is still essentially a tool to transfer wealth from the have nots to the haves.   I still feel like leveraged trading and especially leveraged shorting should be done away with.   The DJIA should be in the low 20's not the low 30's.  

Do you see a bounce tomorrow or more pain? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This does not seem like something that is worth risking.

Just like the TSA with pat downs, they can grab you at any random time in the airport and demand to see your test results.

From a guy in a group I'm in from earlier today

"Three days before departure, I booked rapid COVID tests for all of us, including kids. Test was done at 945AM Sunday at the main testing site in Reykjavik and took less than 10 minutes. I used my email as the contact for everyone and had results within a few hours. We also completed the attestation form on paper before going to the airport. I had printed them ahead of time and had them with me.

At ticket counter, gave our passports and attestations to ticket person, showed our negative COVID results on my phone, one-by-one.

No issues and everything moved very quickly for us this morning, but we'd been told the lines are long on the weekends."

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Maybe it depends on the country/airline/person working that day?

Most people I have been in contact with regarding travelling to Iceland said they ask for proof of vaccine at the airport and often times at the ticketing counter/gate in the US (depends on the airline too).  Sometimes the people working don't know the current rules, etc.

The time zone thing keeps screwing up the math in my head for when to get tested...lol...72 hours before arrival, 72 hours before departing... subtract the 5, carry the 7... the gozinta factor...

Yeah I could see a smaller isolated countries being more into it.  I’m not even sure if it’s on the airline or the customs officers to check.  My wife asked CBP officer at Logan and he said they don’t check tests and made it sound like it wasn’t his job.  Maybe it’s on the airline but Delta and Lufthansa weren’t interested.  Produced it at counter and check in person said I don’t need that.  I’ll be curious to hear how yours is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah to each their own for sure.  It was just interesting.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. I'm sure enforcement of this stuff is all over the place. I could also see hotels randomly demanding to see your test results or vaccine card at check-in. These rules can change fast, maybe even while you are on the plane...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, White Rain said:

I think most people don’t care and want to avoid confrontation and/or ruin some family vacation. Dealing with the public in a normal time is already hard enough.  You could always get unlucky if you run into the wrong person though. 

Also considering travelers have thousands on the line with an expensive vacation,  they will take the tests beforehand to avoid losing everything. It is probably uncommon you run into someone trying to break the rules.

I envision a scenario where we spent a week somewhere and 24 hours before we leave, we have to take a COVID test. One of my kids (with no symptoms)  pops off a positive test. Now we need to spend another 2 weeks locked in a hotel at our expense. That would be a small disaster and a big mess.

Maybe that's not how things are being handled. Maybe the nice man at the airport will overlook the positive test and let us on the plane. Who knows? 

• Haha 1

I'm going to Croatia next week and I'm also slightly nervous about the "have a breakthrough infection and get stuck there for 10 days more than planned" problem. Good thing is that AirBnbs are relatively cheap there and my job is pretty remote friendly so it wouldn't be the end of the world. Work from 2 PM-11 PM every day and hike, swim, lounge in the mornings while I "quarantined."

Anyhow-that fear is still not going to stop me from enjoying the nightlife there-which is supposedly world class. I'd be more cautious in an expensive country like Iceland.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

I'm going to Croatia next week and I'm also slightly nervous about the "have a breakthrough infection and get stuck there for 10 days more than planned" problem. Good thing is that AirBnbs are relatively cheap there and my job is pretty remote friendly so it wouldn't be the end of the world. Work from 2 PM-11 PM every day and hike, swim, lounge in the mornings while I "quarantined."

Anyhow-that fear is still not going to stop me from enjoying the nightlife there-which is supposedly world class. I'd be more cautious in an expensive country like Iceland.

A lot of what we are doing (hiking etc) is basically free.  Dining etc is expensive 

• Like 1

The current vaccination cards are pretty simple and very easy to counterfeit.  
There is really no proof of vaccination unless there is some type of uniform nationwide RFID card issued. 
Several red state governors have already said their state will have nothing to do with that so it will be interesting to see where this all goes if anywhere.

1 hour ago, bch2014 said:

Sounds like you need to fake a positive test to stay there longer.  Just call the boss and say yeah, they tested me but I'm going to need to chill here on the beach for another 10 days.  You'd almost think your boss would want proof of a positive test :lol:.

• Haha 2