Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

3 hours ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Nearly everything is better electric. I wonder how much earlier we would have had electric cars without oil lobbying. 

I LOVE my friends Tesla

What do you think powers the electricity generated to run your friends Tesla. Look at California and ask yourself what will happen when the reusable grid fails. Also are exchanging one problem for another. Batteries use rare earth metals and are toxic when disposed. The best path forward uses a combo of energy with fossil backup always available. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

What do you think powers the electricity generated to run your friends Tesla. Look at California and ask yourself what will happen when the reusable grid fails. Also are exchanging one problem for another. Batteries use rare earth metals and are toxic when disposed. The best path forward uses a combo of energy with fossil backup always available. 

Yeah. A lot of trade offs.  You can make clean electricity but the grid can have problems.  The batteries need to be recycled and that is tricky to do right.    
Lots of interesting solutions out there but most are in their infancy.   Baby steps 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Were going towards natural gas, solar, and wind. Those are much more responsible fuels. We will make a big dent in global warming if we can update the grid to handle electric vehicles. 

14 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Were going towards natural gas, solar, and wind. Those are much more responsible fuels. We will make a big dent in global warming if we can update the grid to handle electric vehicles. 

The current power grid has fairly high loss rates. A large amount of the electricity we generate is lost in transit from the source to the destination. Very wasteful. Fixing that requires a large state and local investment and a lot of NIMBY issues in posh neighborhoods with ancient infrastructure.

14 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Nuclear is what we need. Gas and oil go hand in hand. We alone won't make a dent sorry just isn't true. We reduced our Carbon output

CO2 emissions in 2019 were the lowest they have been since 1992. Per capita emissions were lower in 2019 than they’ve been at any time since at least 1950

Went through a global shutdown yet CO2 still rose. The climate debate is for another forum.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

The current power grid has fairly high loss rates. A large amount of the electricity we generate is lost in transit from the source to the destination. Very wasteful. Fixing that requires a large state and local investment and a lot of NIMBY issues in posh neighborhoods with ancient infrastructure.

Imagine the security threat thoe. A nation dependant on electricity. Power grid goes down for a month. 

We do it with gas but least we have reserves. How would reserves work with electricity.

10 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Coming next to Florida.  No, just kidding.

Interesting to compare 2 very populated states -- Florida and Texas.  Both in the southern US, but Florida has been seeing a much more dramatic increase in cases.  Florida is actually running a bit ahead of Texas in terms of % vaccinated.  Not sure what's going on.  Perhaps population density explains it a little as Texas is more spread out, but probably some other factors playing a bigger role.

Seasonality, we spiked at the same time last year. People in the southern states tend to spend more time indoors June-Sept , similar to Nov-Mar up north.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tamarack said:

I'd guess a decade later if one includes construction and logging equipment but who knows.  And the changeover has to be matched by a stronger grid; the big heatwave out west had CA telling people not to drive their EVs unless absolutely necessary.

Working in the electric industry, that's what we call the dirty little secret no one wants to talk about. The grid in many areas isn't anywhere near capable of even 60 percent electric and the improvements will take decades in many areas. There's also the problem of pollution and enviro issued due to manufacture and use of an E.V. People really should look this up before pushing EV too much yet.  I'd love a new VW electric cargo bus for my business...but don't want one personally at least at this point. For half the people I know electric is a fasion statement moreso than an environmental issue unfortunately.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

For me it would be more of a $$$ issue.  Would it save me money/time?   Not there yet.   But closer.  

The grid is a big issue. 

Was working on turning my property into a solar farm. Many of the solar farms all ready to go can't connect to the grid.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

That's the extremely low rpm max torque that does that and gave it the mid 4 sec 0-60 times in 86-87 '. Way  Ahead of it's time.  A corvette beater in 87 ' 

A Corvette beater by far at that time! That o to 60 is in Hellcat territory. BTW if any of you like cars, try a Hellcat even if not a Mopar fan. Insane!  Its almost impossible to lift your head off the head rest.

17 hours ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Nearly everything is better electric. I wonder how much earlier we would have had electric cars without oil lobbying. 

I LOVE my friends Tesla

At least someone likes them. I have a few customers with them. I just can't get over the lack of style...they look like a large chevy cavalier, and so much crappy plastic. Plus quite a number of quality/reliability issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UnitedWx said:

At least someone likes them. I have a few customers with them. I just can't get over the lack of style...they look like a large chevy cavalier, and so much crappy plastic. Plus quite a number of quality/reliability issues.

Back in the day the Cavalier was a good-looking ride.  We bought a wagon in 1983, 1st year with the EFI 2.0 liter and 5-speed, and drove it nearly 150k before the unibody frame rusted out.  The engine never skipped a beat, we got 32-34 mpg and with studded snows on the front that rig had the best traction of any 2WD I've driven.  The road to our back settlement home in Fort Kent climbed about 450' from town and more than half of that was in the final half mile, nearly 10% grade.  Never had an issue getting home and it snows a bit there.
Edit:  Have not bought a new car since.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

I just bought a 2016 Honda  CRV SE edition fully loaded for 22k.

31k miles

Big Honda fan here.  I drive a Honda Pilot with 180,000 miles on it.  Thing is in great shape.  The last one I had was an earlier model Honda Pilot and made it to 225,000 miles.  Strong SUV’s and those Honda engines go forever.  Stuff’s easy to fix too.  None of the overly expensive repairs or going to a specialty shop like when I had a Volvo or WV.  Some brands you just bring to any mechanic and they have the parts and can fix it confidently, faster, and cheaper.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Big Honda fan here.  I drive a Honda Pilot with 180,000 miles on it.  Thing is in great shape.  The last one I had was an earlier model Honda Pilot and made it to 225,000 miles.  Strong SUV’s and those Honda engines go forever.  Stuff’s easy to fix too.  None of the overly expensive repairs or going to a specialty shop like when I had a Volvo or WV.  Some brands you just bring to any mechanic and they have the parts and can fix it confidently, faster, and cheaper.

We’ve leased 5 CV-Vs and 2 Accords.  I’m due for replacing the Accord but I’m seriously considering buying it for the remaining $14k and then sell for 20+.   Very low mileage 2018.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

A friend of mine always gets the Honda Ridgeline and drives it 300,000 miles before he gets a new one, he puts on a ton of miles every year 50,000+ and the thing runs like new at 300k.

• Like 1