Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

32 minutes ago, natedizel said:

Whats the ages of the kids and are they immune compromised? Its the first i hear kids getting sick like that from this particular strain.

No clue.  But, it turns out those numbers put out by that state health official were not accurate.  It's 7 kids in ICU with only 2, not 10, on life support.

https://www.wtva.com/content/news/Dobbs-says-10-children-on-life-support-due-to-COVID-574822821.html

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Whats a parking ticket?

We moved from Cambridge to Greenfield in 2007.  Tickets here were $5 if you got one and parking meters were 25 cents per hour.  Some are still 12 minutes for a nickel!   The only thing I miss about Cambridge/Boston is the restaurants and the absurdly good music scene.

We cut our trip to North Conway way short. We left this afternoon… it was supposed to be a week trip ending on Saturday… so really we stayed for a few days and left.

Anyway, the weather was garbage, and even if it wasn’t raining it was damp and crappy. It also didn’t look much better moving forward either 

• Sad 1

I will say, the few days we were there were pretty eye opening as to the economic effects of Covid. There were a lot of businesses, especially off the main strip that had been staples of our trips there over the years, that were permanently closed.

A lot of places, mainly restaurants, are also either only open for dinner, or only for the weekend. Only about 25% of the restaurants were open last night. It was slim picking 

• Like 1

I will say, the few days we were there were pretty eye opening as to the economic effects of Covid. There were a lot of businesses, especially off the main strip that had been staples of our trips there over the years, that were permanently closed.
A lot of places, mainly restaurants, are also either only open for dinner, or only for the weekend. Only about 25% of the restaurants were open last night. It was slim picking 
Was north Conway busy with tourists otherwise? When we were in boothbay last weekend, most restaurants were open but had limited staffing.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Any particular ones?   I love that area

32 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yup. All forms of public transit.   Train, planes, busses.   And airports. 

I went to the Red Sox game the other day and took the green line from Riverside...I feel like about 20-25% weren’t wearing masks but nobody was enforcing it. 

My guess is they will probably drop the requirements in another month or two assuming there isn’t a big resurgence here. 

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Some good restaurants and stores there.  The train is awesome. MWN has a museum.  The nature things around it are good. 
saco river

The traffic and crush of people drives me nuts. I go up north to get away from the big crowds. We usually stop in Jackson and don’t continue down to North Conway. But it’s definitely popular down there. 

• Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Some good restaurants and stores there.  The train is awesome. MWN has a museum.  The nature things around it are good. 
saco river

My wife loves the general store there. We usually stop in once during our week-long vacation 30 minutes away in Maine. It’s a fun town to go into for an afternoon or maybe an evening for dinner, but I kind of side with Phin on not wanting to be there a long time. I start to get claustrophobic with some of the tourist crowds after a while. 

N Conway does have some sweet views though just walking around there. 

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

My wife loves the general store there. We usually stop in once during our week-long vacation 30 minutes away in Maine. It’s a fun town to go into for an afternoon or maybe an evening for dinner, but I kind of side with Phin on not wanting to be there a long time. I start to get claustrophobic with some of the tourist crowds after a while. 

It reminds me a lot of touristy places in MD and DE we frequent. Same kind of vibe. Nothing wrong with that, but by the time we get up north we are ready for a break from that. Berlin/Gorham is just so much different that we enjoy the change the pace. In North Conway, I am fighting a bunch of other out of town families in Suburbans and Expeditions for limited parking in front of the touristy restaurants and shops; I can get that vibe down in MD or DE any time I want.

• Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It reminds me a lot of touristy places in MD and DE we frequent. Same kind of vibe. Nothing wrong with that, but by the time we get up north we are ready for a break from that. Berlin/Gorham is just so much different that we enjoy the change the pace. In North Conway, I am fighting a bunch of other out of town families in Suburbans and Expeditions for limited parking in front of the touristy restaurants and shops; I can get that vibe down in MD or DE any time I want.

Yeah I’m def more for the chill/relaxed vibe. We spend most of the week on the lake in Maine and usually bring the kids to storyland one day and that’s also when we stop in N Conway afterward on the way back. 

• Weenie 1

Coming north in Sept with friends from FL who have never been to NE; looking for some tips for day trips from ORH area,  can be to S VT, NH, ME might be a stretch. 2 12 year old girls and parents who like historical sites along with breweries. Already planning a day in Boston to do theFreedom Trail and maybe Fenway tour

Any suggestions welcomed 

47 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I’m def more for the chill/relaxed vibe. We spend most of the week on the lake in Maine and usually bring the kids to storyland one day and that’s also when we stop in N Conway afterward on the way back. 

We liked story land but we thought Santa’s Village was even better. Check it out if you haven’t. It felt bigger, newer, and better kept-up to me. The food situation at story land was a disaster when we went around Memorial Day. Hours wait. I’m sure they are still trying to recover and dealing with the labor shortage which would affect a place like that big time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, White Rain said:

We went with the kids to Santa’s village the last two years, Stayed in some excellent cabins nearby and combined with MWN activities (Flume Clark’s and Cog). They had so much fun my daughter was asking about going again this year. We have thought about Storyland but on the fence with what I have heard. Eventually will move onto Hershey, six flags and canobie as they get older. Probably would have fun with those even now though.

Two of my kids are typical jaded “tweens” and they had fun at Santa’s Village. It’s way more elaborate there than I had expected. 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah sharp differences between tourist towns and then the other towns that are just “where people live.”  Like the difference here between Stowe and Morrisville.  Stowe feels like a Boston suburb (which I like as I still feel too young to just live out in the woods) in the mountains… but 10 minutes north in Morrisville where the huge grocery stores are, McDonalds, Tractor Supply, (things normal towns have) and we do all our shopping etc is merely just NNE town of “where people live.”

Zero tourists and the Suburbans and Escalades are replaced with lifted pick-ups with muddin’ tires and camo trim, mixed in with Honda Civics that have modified exhausts :lol: (and a lot of just normal daily drivers).  All in about a 10 minute drive up RT 100.  There is without a doubt a difference between tourist towns with name recognition and then just nearby towns where people just live and daily life has very little to do with people from elsewhere.

They both have their pluses and minuses.  I think once older I’d go for the quieter rural aspect.  But hard in your 20s and 30s to live out in the middle of the woods alone ha.  Enjoy the hustle and bustle of a bit more activity right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

We liked story land but we thought Santa’s Village was even better. Check it out if you haven’t. It felt bigger, newer, and better kept-up to me. The food situation at story land was a disaster when we went around Memorial Day. Hours wait. I’m sure they are still trying to recover and dealing with the labor shortage which would affect a place like that big time. 

We def used to prefer Santa’s Village, although it def is an older feel park. 

Back when Story land was privately owned we felt it was better. As with many things 

I think our days of visiting those parks are done though. Unless grandkids show up someday

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

When we lived in Gardiner and our parents had retired to Woodsville, NH, we'd drive over via the Kanc and return thru Gorham and the Sumner woods.  N. Conway was a convenient place to stretch our legs at the mini mall where 302 meets 16.  Wife would load up on cheap-but-good pantyhose she couldn't find near home. :lol:  Sometimes 302 would be backed up well across the border into Maine.
Maybe Phin's view of that area warrants the Yogi Berra comment (about a NNJ restaurant): "Nobody goes there any more; it's too crowded."

• Like 1