Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

On 6/2/2021 at 3:44 PM, fujiwara79 said:

yes, this is probably true, but i would argue that seasonality plays a big part here.  the northern latitudes (northern US and europe) had low covid prevalence last summer - and that's without vaccines.  in fact, i would willing to bet that the positivity rates were < 1% in the new england states last summer.  seychelles and maldives are two of the most vaccinated countries in the world, yet they are having their biggest outbreaks right now.  vaccines help prevent serious outcomes, which should be the main point, but it wouldn't surprise me if mask mandates come back locally or regionally in the winter as prevalence rises again.

I predicted this more than a month ago and was weenie'd.  But now people are coming around to the idea that mask ordinances might come back.  LOL.  Told ya.

8 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

Philosophically, that's true, but in reality many of voluntarily unvaxxed people that are currently hospitalized or in the ICU are getting their medical bills paid for by either the CARES act or the recent covid relief bill (especially if they are uninsured).  Instead of offering lottery tickets and cash prizes to get vaxxed, the federal government should instead stop subsidizing hospitalizations for these people.  Make the hospitals and insurance companies figure out how to pay for it.  If this happened, you'll start seeing insurance companies compel employers to require vaccines for their workforce.  Suddenly they'll realize that insurance companies are not as nice and coddling as the goobermint.

are we not covering any avoidable conditions or just covid?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

It seems rather silly to pretend restrictions could never return to VT if cases spike in the fall from a variant that  evades the vaccines. But ok… maybe FL will bring back masks first. Sure. 

So people need to get the vaccines in order to stop new variants....which they've been saying all along.  So again, unvaccinated people are screwing over vaccinated people.  See?

I figured by now most people would have leaned away from the hesitancy.....now is about the time I would be getting it if I didn't need it for other reasons earlier.  

7 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

yeah, CNN's home page is comical today....gimme a break

CNN website is a pure Clickbait mine at this point. 
They have been carrying a lead story about the condo collapse for two weeks when it was obvious in the first 2 minutes there were no survivors. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

CNN website is a pure Clickbait mine at this point. 
They have been carrying a lead story about the condo collapse for two weeks when it was obvious in the first 2 minutes there were no survivors. 

It's not even real news anymore, it's up there with the likes of Yahoo and the bing homepage now. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

I predicted this more than a month ago and was weenie'd.  But now people are coming around to the idea that mask ordinances might come back.  LOL.  Told ya.

It’s going to be very hard, in the United States especially, to return to mask mandates and covid restrictions.

The toothpaste is out of the tube at this point, and it’s going to be very hard to put it back in.

Like I said a few days ago, maybe Australia and Canada can do that crap and get a good amount of buy in, but it won’t be happening here.

Begging people to get the vaccine and then slamming restrictions back on come the fall after telling people they can return to normal with a vaccine is a horrible look.

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s going to be very hard, in the United States especially, to return to mask mandates and covid restrictions.

The toothpaste is out of the tube at this point, and it’s going to be very hard to put it back in.

Like I said a few days ago, maybe Australia and Canada can do that crap and get a good amount of buy in, but it won’t be happening here.

Begging people to get the vaccine and then slamming restrictions back on come the fall after telling people they can return to normal with a vaccine is a horrible look.

They won’t come back unless a big wave of people dying returns...which is unlikely in our region where like 80% of adults are vaxxed. 

6 hours ago, Supernovice said:

Goldman released a note last night on the global economic impacts. They aren't great.  Rolling restrictions, continued supply chain disruptions etc...not a surprise to anyone paying attention. But that's what's generating today's headlines.

Letting this thing run rampant within a partially vaccinated population is just the sort of thing I would do if I wanted it to gain resistance to the vaccines currently deployed.  It is literally a matter of time imo.

Was that goldman note linked anywhere , thanks for the heads up 

Not a big surprise to me but everyone was calling for rising interest rates toward 2.0 % on the ten year yield this summer and fall and lo and behold the 35 year old bond bull market keeps rolling as rates have fallen from 1.7 peak to 1.3 now . It’s clear to me that when the big fiscal stimulus (spending effects ware off) we will be back to trend line GDP growth of 2% or so And the bond market is sniffing that out .

I see this Goldman note being supportive of slower growth , longer period of QE (delayed tapering) and basically supporting the Nasdaq more than any other index 

57 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

They won’t come back unless a big wave of people dying returns...which is unlikely in our region where like 80% of adults are vaxxed. 

Yup, it's all about people dying.  I mean if you want to go conspiracy theory and say a variant comes along and starts killing people en mass again (like NYC hospitals in March/April type stuff), then sure masks could come back.  But at that point you are just talking about another pandemic which is extremely unlikely odds.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Kind of disagree semantically here. IMO, it’s much more about overwhelming the health system rather than deaths. I.e. can you get a hospital bed if you need one? Not necessarily if x number of people die. Once (IF) the system itself starts collapsing we will quickly reintroduce restrictions. The career risk for the political class becomes untenable at that point regardless of party affiliation. Test case might be Missouri in a week or two- the healthcare system is getting close to a tipping point there as I type.

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

1) I hate that even this post gives them more clicks and therefore revenue.  I contributed to telling them to write more of these articles by clicking on it.

2) This is capitalism at it's finest.  Everything and anything to earn a dollar.  More clicks/$$$ for CNN and then a money grab by Pfizer.

It even says that "While protection against severe disease remained high" that "a decline in efficacy against symptomatic disease over time and the continued emergence of variants are expected."  "Pfizer and BioNTech believe that a third dose may be beneficial within 6 to 12 months following the second dose to maintain highest levels of protection."

Pfizer basically says that your chance of ending up in a hospital or dying (severe disease) is extremely low, but you may get the sniffles at some point.  If you want the highest levels of protection (this sounds like a sales pitch for a McAfee or Norton computer anti-virus software), we recommend upgrading to the Gold Package which includes a booster shot.  Capitalism at it's finest, selling you stuff you likely don't need with a solid PR campaign.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

1) I hate that even this post gives them more clicks and therefore revenue.  I contributed to telling them to write more of these articles by clicking on it.

2) This is capitalism at it's finest.  Everything and anything to earn a dollar.  More clicks/$$$ for CNN and then a money grab by Pfizer.

It even says that "While protection against severe disease remained high" that "a decline in efficacy against symptomatic disease over time and the continued emergence of variants are expected."  "Pfizer and BioNTech believe that a third dose may be beneficial within 6 to 12 months following the second dose to maintain highest levels of protection."

Pfizer basically says that your chance of ending up in a hospital or dying (severe disease) is extremely low, but you may get the sniffles at some point.  If you want the highest levels of protection (this sounds like a sales pitch for a McAfee or Norton computer anti-virus software), we recommend upgrading to the Gold Package which includes a booster shot.  Capitalism at it's finest, selling you stuff you likely don't need with a solid PR campaign.

Strong agree- the government just issued a statement which basically read: not so fast you greasy scumbags. Either way, crap like this doesn’t do much to inspire the vaccine hesitant. Damage= done.

51 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yup, it's all about people dying.  I mean if you want to go conspiracy theory and say a variant comes along and starts killing people en mass again (like NYC hospitals in March/April type stuff), then sure masks could come back.  But at that point you are just talking about another pandemic which is extremely unlikely odds.

Even that stuff in NYC was blown out of proportion. They had those field hospitals and the navy ship and they saw like 2 people.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Was that goldman note linked anywhere , thanks for the heads up 

Not a big surprise to me but everyone was calling for rising interest rates toward 2.0 % on the ten year yield this summer and fall and lo and behold the 35 year old bond bull market keeps rolling as rates have fallen from 1.7 peak to 1.3 now . It’s clear to me that when the big fiscal stimulus (spending effects ware off) we will be back to trend line GDP growth of 2% or so And the bond market is sniffing that out .

I see this Goldman note being supportive of slower growth , longer period of QE (delayed tapering) and basically supporting the Nasdaq more than any other index 

Stagflation to occur in a few years 

11 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Even that stuff in NYC was blown out of proportion. They had those field hospitals and the navy ship and they saw like 2 people.  

If all the people who died from covid at home or in the nursing homes in NYC were in the hospital instead, they probably would've had bigtime capacity issues.  

19 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

If all the people who died from covid at home or in the nursing homes in NYC were in the hospital instead, they probably would've had bigtime capacity issues.  

Why didn't they use the field hospitals then instead of nursing homes and people stuck in their house? 

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

You can say this at any time, though. Take all the folks dying at home or in nursing homes now and stuff them all in your local ICU. You will see issues. 

12 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Israel has 57% of everybody fully vaxxed (over 80% of adults).  That is better than the US as a whole.  Certain states are higher but most aren't.

Well where I live it’s 62% of everybody-only state better is VT.  All 6 New England states  with the exception of NH exceed Israel and NH is close with 56.7%.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Well where I live it’s 62% of everybody-only state better is VT.  All 6 New England states  with the exception of NH exceed Israel and NH is close with 56.7%.

Ya cause New England kicks ass. Start our own nation.. again

10 hours ago, Supernovice said:

Kind of disagree semantically here. IMO, it’s much more about overwhelming the health system rather than deaths. I.e. can you get a hospital bed if you need one? Not necessarily if x number of people die. Once (IF) the system itself starts collapsing we will quickly reintroduce restrictions. The career risk for the political class becomes untenable at that point regardless of party affiliation. Test case might be Missouri in a week or two- the healthcare system is getting close to a tipping point there as I type.

Definitely a semantics argument.

Hard to believe you’d have a mass infusion of people that need to be hospitalized from another wave of covid without having deaths with it. 

OKlahoma might want to get vaccinated 

“We currently have as many COVID patients in the hospital as we did at the height of the pandemic," said Oklahoma state epidemiologist Justin Mitchell. "Unfortunately, we have a low rate of vaccination among our residents and these patients seem to be hit the hardest with the disease."

20 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

OKlahoma might want to get vaccinated 

“We currently have as many COVID patients in the hospital as we did at the height of the pandemic," said Oklahoma state epidemiologist Justin Mitchell. "Unfortunately, we have a low rate of vaccination among our residents and these patients seem to be hit the hardest with the disease."

The ideological lines seem to have already been drawn. The below chart always blows my mind, and I've seen it even more granular on a county and congressional district level. The story doesn't change.

Chickens will come home to roost. I'm not sure the unvaxxed will rethink it until they actually get sick.

image.png.3e6fcfa812233e345007f6af64101ef9.png

8 hours ago, weathafella said:

Incidentally for those 65+, fully vaccinated rate is high in the whole country.  Fwiw it’s 100% in every New England state except CT where it’s 99.8%.

Number 1 factor causing a drop in deaths and serous complications, right there. That's the group that we really needed to get vaccinated to end this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supernovice said:

The ideological lines seem to have already been drawn. The below chart always blows my mind, and I've seen it even more granular on a county and congressional district level. The story doesn't change.

Chickens will come home to roost. I'm not sure the unvaxxed will rethink it until they actually get sick.

image.png.3e6fcfa812233e345007f6af64101ef9.png

We keep telling you... the unvaccinated are not worried about it. We all know you guys can't wait for those "moron rednecks" refusing the vax to get sick and die. No need to parade such a macabre viewpoint around here, though.