Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

There is definitely a reason they are doing this now. I haven't quite nailed down why, but none of the obvious answers are good.

People need to just turn it off and tune it out.

Ratings and timing 

leverage Japans Olympic announcement with some of the most attention grabbing headlines and then see if the ratings spike , and then maybe we can refire this story line successfully 

10 hours ago, weathafella said:

They also have a lower vaccinated rate than people realize.

Israel has 57% of everybody fully vaxxed (over 80% of adults).  That is better than the US as a whole.  Certain states are higher but most aren't.

14 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ratings and timing 

leverage Japans Olympic announcement with some of the most attention grabbing headlines and then see if the ratings spike , and then maybe we can refire this story line successfully 

This thread is my source of news.  Without some of you guys I’d have no idea how the outside world was so messed up lol.

Its also the only time I’ve heard of any of these variants or COVID in weeks it seems, ha.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You have posted a lot over the past 13 months about deaths, cases, breakthroughs, failed vaccines, etc. Just seems like these variants have you spooked. You'd most likely be perfectly fine if you got COVID. 

Much of what I post is numbers based.  If that came off as "spinning things as bad", well, things were bad over the fall and winter.  I am fully vaxxed and living a normal life.  I know you didn't get vaccinated but on the macro scale, wouldn't you say it is important to monitor the efficacy of the vaccines over time? 

3 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

I was in North and South Carolina for about 10 days at the end of June.  What I found interesting when talking with people who live and work in the Myrtle Beach, S.C. and Asheville, N.C. area was that the states were not as "wide open" and hap-hazard as the news media portrayed during the peak covid times.  Business were very in tune with CDC guidelines for mask wearing, and social distancing.  Our visit happened to coincide at a point  when many guidelines were recently lifted.  Many restaurants and other places still had employees wearing masks. 

Agree with the people you talked with-I was in Hilton Head in March, and while more open than the northeast was at the time, it certainly wasn’t “open season.” Same with Utah in February. 

First time I really felt like things were “normal” was in Tennessee in early May. 

I was just in Tahoe for the 4th and it’s open season there-just like it is NY, MA, NH. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

CNBC: U.S. heading for 'dangerous fall' with surge in delta Covid cases and return of indoor mask mandates.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/08/us-heading-for-dangerous-fall-with-surge-in-delta-covid-cases-and-return-of-indoor-mask-mandates.html

I picture some copy writer pulling their hair out while yelling “stop clicking and sharing this!  I’m so sick of writing this crap but ya’ll keep clicking, copying, pasting.  Even by mocking this ya’ll are feeding it and making them have me write more low-grade COVID shit. They don’t care why you click on it, as long as you do.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I notice many more articles in the financial press about the delta variant .

It’s like not only does the fear mongering generate clicks (“it’s Covid on steroids says one expert” , “vaccinated people can still pass it on “  but it’s spooks a lot of older folks 

Goldman released a note last night on the global economic impacts. They aren't great.  Rolling restrictions, continued supply chain disruptions etc...not a surprise to anyone paying attention. But that's what's generating today's headlines.

Letting this thing run rampant within a partially vaccinated population is just the sort of thing I would do if I wanted it to gain resistance to the vaccines currently deployed.  It is literally a matter of time imo.

51 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I picture some copy writer pulling their hair out while yelling “stop clicking and sharing this!  I’m so sick of writing this crap but ya’ll keep clicking, copying, pasting.  Even by mocking this ya’ll are feeding it and making them have me write more low-grade COVID shit. They don’t care why you click on it, as long as you do.”

lol.  It was mostly to get Phin riled up about our impending doom. 

• Haha 2

At this point (barring a minuscule minority of people who cannot safely take the vaccine), if you remain unvaxxed and get a serious case of covid, that is on you. Anyone who has wanted a vaccine has been able to get one with fairly minimal effort for a couple months now (longer in some areas).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I could def see VT locking back down. 

• Weenie 2

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

CNBC: U.S. heading for 'dangerous fall' with surge in delta Covid cases and return of indoor mask mandates.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/08/us-heading-for-dangerous-fall-with-surge-in-delta-covid-cases-and-return-of-indoor-mask-mandates.html

Sucks to live in those states with low vaccination rates I guess. Covid is effectively over in MA and the northeast as a whole.

See you for the next pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

At this point (barring a minuscule minority of people who cannot safely take the vaccine), if you remain unvaxxed and get a serious case of covid, that is on you. Anyone who has wanted a vaccine has been able to get one with fairly minimal effort for a couple months now (longer in some areas).

Pretty much. I find it incredibly hard to believe there will be a reintroduction of restrictions come fall and winter with the vaccination rates here.

At least we’ve gone from the certain “apocalyptic” fall and winter 2020-2021 to the “dangerous” fall and winter 2021-2022. This has gone beyond silly at this point. If you're scared, stay home. The rest of us are all set with restrictions and masks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, DomNH said:

At least we’ve gone from the certain “apocalyptic” fall and winter 2020-2021 to the “dangerous” fall and winter 2021-2022. This has gone beyond silly at this point. If you're scared, stay home. The rest of us are all set with restrictions and masks. 

If I lived in a state like Mississippi or Missouri I would expect a return to masks if more don’t get vaccinated.   I’m not worried about that happening in New England.  

I just don’t understand the large scale hesitancy there.   

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

If I lived in a state like Mississippi or Missouri I would expect a return to masks if more don’t get vaccinated.   I’m not worried about that happening in New England.  

I just don’t understand the large scale hesitancy there.   

I don’t either but I think it is what it is and folks are not changing their minds. I’m vaccinated but personally could not care less if someone chooses not to. If they get sick and have a bad outcome that’s 100% on them at this point. 

• Like 1

I also think vaccinated people who are concerned with being in the presence of unvaccinated people are weenies of the highest order. Concerned about the minimal chance of a breakthrough and some cold or flu like symptoms for a few days? 21 bun salute. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It seems rather silly to pretend restrictions could never return to VT if cases spike in the fall from a variant that  evades the vaccines. But ok… maybe FL will bring back masks first. Sure. 

Oh I thought you said lock down, like full stay at home.  Masks? Sure I could see any number of states going that route if people start dying again.  Our Republican gov would just follow other states’ leads in the northeast to be honest.  He lifted everything back to normal faster than many states too. 

I just think of lockdown as the “Stay at Home” time.  That ship sailed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DomNH said:

I don’t either but I think it is what it is and folks are not changing their minds. I’m vaccinated but personally could not care less if someone chooses not to. If they get sick and have a bad outcome that’s 100% on them at this point. 

Philosophically, that's true, but in reality many of voluntarily unvaxxed people that are currently hospitalized or in the ICU are getting their medical bills paid for by either the CARES act or the recent covid relief bill (especially if they are uninsured).  Instead of offering lottery tickets and cash prizes to get vaxxed, the federal government should instead stop subsidizing hospitalizations for these people.  Make the hospitals and insurance companies figure out how to pay for it.  If this happened, you'll start seeing insurance companies compel employers to require vaccines for their workforce.  Suddenly they'll realize that insurance companies are not as nice and coddling as the goobermint.