Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Sounds like still over 50 people unaccounted for. Sounds like death toll will push double digits

I mean that seemed a bit like perfect timing for the reaper -

Judging by the surrounding ambient daylight, made sure most units had non-suspecting people in beds at that time.   Coulda happened at 2pm when most were out or at work but no -

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'd rather had been in part 1 and not part 2. Part 1 you get flattened and don't even know it. Everyone in part 2 probably woke up from part 1 and had 5-10 seconds of panic before getting pancaked themselves. Just terrible.

I had the same thought-horrible way to go-how freak too....

You know it strikes me of a conversation I had with a co-worker, back before the Pandemic changed things and we'd meet up for lunch ...and dissect the world to pieces with Carrington Events, ... indeed plagues, be it super volcanoes, Canary Island bifurcation/landslide bible tsunamis..etc.   Even Fermi Complexes were fun romps.

This is one of those Industrial society cosmic dildo events. Like plane crash theory ?  Not one thing that brings the bird down - it's a cocktail of serendipity, the consequences of any one is meaningless, but they come to a happenstance nexus out in time ...and in aggregate - etc.  

See .. 1,000 teepees set out over the grassland prairie of the America frontier west, and all their occupants - they may not live as long?  They may not benefit from the abundances and conveniences as we do now.  No immunizations. No luxuries and/or accesses to stimuli that we may even operate within that are presumptive.  Like we do. But ... when something fails in our world it has to take on this sort of enormity in specter and ghastly cost in casualty density.  

Trade-off I suppose .

18 hours ago, radarman said:

if you're confident in the tower engineering the climb is really not bad so long as you're always locked into steel at all times.  Key is to relax and focus.  Newbies tend to grip the hell out of the ladder wrungs and get the acid burn in their forearms.  

One of my first climbs ever I had to run cable to a GPS radio requiring completely letting go of the tower to lean back and trusting your harness to perform.  That was a bit nerve wracking and not sure I'll ever be totally comfortable with it.

holy shit i didn't know this is what your name meant...i always thought you were just a big gary burghoff fan

Florida,"  is apropos as a fully descriptive cause - 'nough said.

Seriously, the whole lithosphere there is a honeycomb of underminable salt caverns.  The whole peninsula spends every other 10,000 years under seawater... and is probably in the process of being reclaimed again.  It's just probably going to start happening where buildings start getting increasingly destablized .. .homes and parking lots and traffic intersections cave downward ..etc.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Ron DeSantis caused that building to collapse.

I can't believe people are listing him as a favorite to run for GOP. 

Yes- I'm obviously not on that side of things, but good lord, is that really their best option?

Does not bode well for them. I think Haley gives them best chance. I'm skeptical of Trump.

7 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Yes- I'm obviously not on that side of things, but good lord, is that really their best option?

Does not bode well for them. I think Haley gives them best chance. I'm skeptical of Trump.

The elections are all fake anyway. I couldn't care less who runs.

Jim "Big Banker" Johnson versus John "Big Pharma" Jameson is hardly exciting.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

I thought that when Biden and Bernie were the favorites on the dem side-two old weathly white guys is the best they got?

5 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Seems these vertical structures don't do too well with top loading when there are failures above. The NYC metaphoric towers of Babylon failed like that; they seems to "domino" downward with increasing acceleration/ease as each floor succumbs to the crushing weight of the cumulative failing floors above ...and down she comes.

As I watched the towers collapse, one after the other, I wondered why they pancaked rather than falling over (or just standing until the fires burned themselves out.)   Thinking later and considering the evidence - each tower probably weighed something north of 500,000 tons and 20%+ of that was uphill from the points of impact.  The fires involved 4-5 floors, say 50 feet, and when the structural steel heated until it lost most of its tensile strength, 100,000+ tons dropped that ~50 feet with little resistance.  The impact of that huge mass hitting the undamaged floors below - nothing was going to even slow it down.

22 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I thought that when Biden and Bernie were the favorites on the dem side-two old weathly white guys is the best they got?

Biden was the 'best they got'. If Bernie ran, people closer to the middle would not have been as likely to vote for him. Largely due to the fact people are misinformed and scared of the far left.

Joe had the best shot to take down Trump. I really thank God for the guy. He is far from my favorite politician, but he gave the best chance to take down the MAGA dope in Washington.

15 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Biden was the 'best they got'. If Bernie ran, people closer to the middle would not have been as likely to vote for him. Largely due to the fact people are misinformed and scared of the far left.

Joe had the best shot to take down Trump. I really thank God for the guy. He is far from my favorite politician, but he gave the best chance to take down the MAGA dope in Washington.

I think COVID and his gross mismanagement of it took him down more than any opponent-no COVID economy is humming along-maybe he doesnt win bigly like he did in 2016 but I think he still would have carried it....

15 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I think COVID and his gross mismanagement of it took him down more than any opponent-no COVID economy is humming along-maybe he doesnt win bigly like he did in 2016 but I think he still would have carried it....

Move the vaccine timeline up 8 weeks and give him some Valium for the first debate, and he walks away with it. I firmly believe that.

1 hour ago, DotRat_Wx said:

A popular governor of a large swing state, with a record to run on, national exposure and an outspoken style. Get used to him

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

A record of being an insufferable idiot. He's not getting many dem votes. Not more than Trump did, anyway.

I doubt very many people cross party lines at this point. That's a thing of the past, for the moment. Battle lines are drawn. The whole thing is a yawn these days. All fake and controlled. Red vs blue. Both serve corporate masters now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tolland Death Band said:

I won’t try to convince you to cross party lines lol. I am opining on the likelihood

Bingo.  No one was ever swayed politically on a message board in the history of the internet.  One of the many reasons politics was a hard no on here for so long, it’s just pointless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I doubt very many people cross party lines at this point. That's a thing of the past, for the moment. Battle lines are drawn. The whole thing is a yawn these days. All fake and controlled. Red vs blue. Both serve corporate masters now.

I actually voted for our governor who is a R. I think he’s been great and works on both sides. He’s progressive on social issues.

2 hours ago, DotRat_Wx said:

I suspect history, given time, will define that era not so much as a 'dope in Washington,' but more of a reflection the judgement of people that made it all possible ( constituency) and the feckless nature of his rampart of enablers once he took that seat and office.   Look up the term 'Kakistocracy' - the definition in greater percentage is apropos.

This was not a political distinction that won him that seat - not really.  It was a state of morality and intelligence, combined; one that the failures won't admit to, all the way to the grave, too.  

he was kind of an impish 'bugs bunny' - he really was much more of a distracting puppet entertainer, for/while any interests connected could then benefit from toppling certain institutions that have been stressing their proxy in the marco econ fight - those that will come back, and will eventually place those interests entirely on the wrong side of history -