Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

14 hours ago, radarman said:

Yikes.  As someone who climbs towers regularly that stuff hits home.  Should never happen.  But it happens.  Really should stay strapped in at all times and just have to be ultra focused on the present.

Sounded like a new crew and some confusion about rope lines. One system was used to raise tools and equipment and he might have been hooked into the wrong line?  I don’t know what they were using but at the ski area we have a two-rope system at all times for tower climbs and zipline work/high-angle tech rescue (the zip gets to 200 feet above the forest).  So if you are performing anything you are hooked into two ropes for backup.  It’s cumbersome but reassuring having a second system to fall back on.

14 hours ago, radarman said:

Yikes.  As someone who climbs towers regularly that stuff hits home.  Should never happen.  But it happens.  Really should stay strapped in at all times and just have to be ultra focused on the present.

I wanted to get a 60-70ft rohn type tower for the anemometer and all of the weather gear. There’s just no way I’d climb up that thing that high and the tilt down/telescoping ones are way more expensive than the already pricey fixed ones. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

I wanted to get a 60-70ft rohn type tower for the anemometer and all of the weather gear. There’s just no way I’d climb up that thing that high and the tilt down/telescoping ones are way more expensive than the already pricey fixed ones. 

if you're confident in the tower engineering the climb is really not bad so long as you're always locked into steel at all times.  Key is to relax and focus.  Newbies tend to grip the hell out of the ladder wrungs and get the acid burn in their forearms.  

One of my first climbs ever I had to run cable to a GPS radio requiring completely letting go of the tower to lean back and trusting your harness to perform.  That was a bit nerve wracking and not sure I'll ever be totally comfortable with it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dendrite said:

Had to climb this antenna on the reg to change FAA bulbs before we went to LED. Always tied off but hairy the first time. View from the top

mashantucket-pequot-museum-and-research-center-in-ct-DFPFHP (1).jpg

images.jpeg

17 hours ago, DotRat_Wx said:

When I saw him, it was sort of a panic response. High rate of speed, at the time, I believed the best chance for him was to stop moving and give him the option of where to pass, in front of me, or behind me.

My son in law last month. Stops at an intersection, looks left looks right sees nothing. As he is turning left a motorcycle traveling what the police estimate is going near 100 mph hits him and totals his car, takes the front wheel completely off. The guy vaulted his car and slides 75 yards down the road. My son in law rushes to him, pulls off his belt and makes a tourniquet for his leg which is destroyed but saves his life. The guy is suing my son in law, his lawyer says the guy can sue and will probably get money. 

Last night after the wife's softball game, a bike passed me on the right on a 2 lane rural road probably doing 80 plus. Its a good thing I saw him coming. Ridiculous that if he hit me or I eased even 3 feet to the right he can sue me. Sorry ambulance chaser lawyers but screw you.

To me the world is idiotic. So sad

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

1 reported so far but I’m sure there will be others.   
Sinkhole maybe?  

I think that building is on Miami Beach which is like a barrier island. I know sink holes are from limestone bedrock eroding, but not sure that would be the case out on that island?

• Like 2

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Yea working on the roof probably not the cause unless they had tons of material in one place.

Yeah it didn’t make sense to me either. 9/11 pancaked, but that was a different beast and it gave out well below the roof. 

9 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Over half of the 130 units in the building collapsed. I would imagine the death toll will be over 100. I also read there was an underground parking garage under the section that fell. 

depends on how many there-some of these places are partially empty in the summer as seasonal residents not in town....

Seems these vertical structures don't do too well with top loading when there are failures above. The NYC metaphoric towers of Babylon failed like that; they seems to "domino" downward with increasing acceleration/ease as each floor succumbs to the crushing weight of the cumulative failing floors above ...and down she comes.

It's like why bother with the implosion physics/demolition - Jesus. Turns out, a short cut might be to just to whack out the legs of the top floor. These tubular frame construction prove inadequate against gravity - and because the open atrial center spaces offer no resistance, the structure follows path of least resistance and rubbles inward ... with all the non-suspecting, sleeping people immediately steeply engaged in some kind of sudden directive dreaming -