Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

13 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

There was a place near Worcester we would go to on Monday nights, 25 cent drafts, nasty stuff but when your in school every penny counts, those nights usually ended with a brawl and cops coming.

The Red Barn in Westborough. And yeah it always got ugly.

Happy hour still exists in MA but they just work around the “law” they wrote for it. As others said, they usually make food super cheap. Or they will bundle the alcohol with food. You still have drink specials but they just make them for the whole evening. They can’t discount them just during the early hours. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Happy hour still exists in MA but they just work around the “law” they wrote for it. As others said, they usually make food super cheap. Or they will bundle the alcohol with food. You still have drink specials but they just make them for the whole evening. They can’t discount them just during the early hours. 

You cannot change your drinks price more than once every seven days I believe.

Dog and I ran into our first bear of the season today.  Big fella.  Had to wait about 10 minutes for him to meander away and out of our path.  Of course the one time I decided not to carry the real camera with me on the mountain too.

Amazing summer day though. Low-80s in the valley, dews in the 50s.  Tons of sunshine.  Plenty hot to go swimming (dipped in the river) and comfortable enough to be very active without sweating to dehydration.  A perfect summer day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Dog and I ran into our first bear of the season today.  Big fella.  Had to wait about 10 minutes for him to meander away and out of our path.  Of course the one time I decided not to carry the real camera with me on the mountain too.

Amazing summer day though. Low-80s in the valley, dews in the 50s.  Tons of sunshine.  Plenty hot to go swimming (dipped in the river) and comfortable enough to be very active without sweating to dehydration.  A perfect summer day.

Never seen a real bear outside a zoo. Id probably shit myself

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

They are way bigger than you expect.  It is so weird 

Yeah the adult black bears can be large creatures in person, ha.  I probably feel overly comfortable with them though as they really cause me no concern… my dog does though.  Every one we’ve seen, I’ve seen it first and can leash her before she notices it.  A black bear will pay no attention to me, but a barking dog might just annoy it enough.

They are extremely docile creatures though.  A few years ago working on the mountain we watched a deer and bear graze only like 10 yards apart or less.  They both were going for the same ground food source and the deer seemed to have an understanding that this large creature isn’t interested in the meat I could provide, ha.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

They are way bigger than you expect.  It is so weird 

A number of years ago, my brother in law got a 300 lb bear during bow season. Seeing that hanging after it was skinned was freaky. Almost looked human. Really muscular. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I went to a Sox Twins games in the 80's and the Twins got two triple plays in one game, both started by Gaitti, tagged third, threw to second and over to first.

That's insane, two in one game.  Textbook way to do it. Ball hit hard to third base, step on the bag and then start a more routine double play style finish.  If the batter is just leaving the box while the third basement already has the ball next to the bag, he's in trouble.  He hit it too hard :lol:.

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Many of my favorite mammal and avian encounters have been sans camera or just not possible to get a picture without ruining the experience.

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

A friend of mine is one of the brewers there.   She joined about a year ago, they are making some fine ales.

Thats cool. Always thought about getting into the brew business. My family loves that beer. To be honest i was never a fan. 

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The deer flies this morning were outrageous

Same here.  They really picked up yesterday afternoon.  The past few weeks it was just one or two that would harass me in the yard, but now it's a swarm.  My favorite trick is to take a blue solo cup and cover it in the clear tanglefoot fly trap goo and then put it on an old hat and walk around the yard with it on my head.  Sure, I look like a complete whacko, but every time they dive bomb in for the kill they get stuck and once they see one stuck they think it's a buffet and they all end up getting stuck. It's very satisfying.

• Like 2

I noticed the Deer Fly population seem much more than recent years.   Wonder what's up with that 

I mean usually, they lurk in the shade.  So it's hot and sunny and you wander under for a break and you get these helicopter blood recons doing mobius loops around one's head and shoulders.  They seem to have evolved a recognition to land on ones back of the neck as their preferred target .. yet still need to circuit around a bunch of times to get up the courage to land. 

This years there can be as many as four or five of them doing this and there's air-raid sirens going off - jesus.

I've noticed flowering vegetation did really fantastic blooms this year.  From the Lilac shrubbery sizes to the carpeting Alpine Delphinium, just neon colors in aromatic bundles.  Bumble bees were plump with big yellow saddle bags slowing their flight speeds to ... well, bumbling.  

The blue in the blue sky days - not like today ... - has been usually pristine. Could it be that the 20 to 30 % halting caused by the Pandemic era allowed enough environmental cleansing of industrial farts to clear and detox the air ?

1 hour ago, QCD17 said:

Same here.  They really picked up yesterday afternoon.  The past few weeks it was just one or two that would harass me in the yard, but now it's a swarm.  My favorite trick is to take a blue solo cup and cover it in the clear tanglefoot fly trap goo and then put it on an old hat and walk around the yard with it on my head.  Sure, I look like a complete whacko, but every time they dive bomb in for the kill they get stuck and once they see one stuck they think it's a buffet and they all end up getting stuck. It's very satisfying.

Similar strategy here.  Blue baseball cap with tape on the front and bill.  Put tanglefoot on the tape, put the hat on backwards and walk around the yard or wear it while mowing.  Always have a dozen or so of those f*ckers stuck to it when I'm done.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, metagraphica said:

Similar strategy here.  Blue baseball cap with tape on the front and bill.  Put tanglefoot on the tape, put the hat on backwards and walk around the yard or wear it while mowing.  Always have a dozen or so of those f*ckers stuck to it when I'm done.

I had no idea they were so obsessed with the color blue.

Wonder if my dog would wear a blue bucket on her head?

3D430E96-6B3E-43D5-8383-BFF3E3F5ABFA.jpeg.6ab2facecf4d55418ce629775538d2f5.jpeg

37869AD0-4E2A-4359-ABCF-47B52ABC2F3C.jpeg.e6df235f77bd93654c7d8e7930f52a5f.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Just installed.  Again.  Our 15+ year old GE AC window unit finally gave up the ghost.  Hard to find an 8-10,000 BTU unit around here but was able to get one to replace it

Should be more efficient at least

i got rid of my 10k btu beast last fall, just can't muscle it up to the attic anymore. I replaced it with a Midea u-shaped window unit, also 10k. that thing is the nuts. Super quiet, and very efficient. It also doesn't block out the entire lower window like the old one did.

• Like 2