Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Our local Chinese joint makes hella good mai tais to go.    I find it funny that the only opposition was from liquor store associations.   Apples and oranges. 

Went to our first public movie showing last night at our local family owned theater.  We had booked it out three times for private shows over the last year 

Hubbytown has a theater?

3 hours ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I remember when Dukakis first killed all this back in the early 80’s

The Ground Round in Braintree killed happy hours in MA. I remember going there and getting pitchers of mixed drinks for a few dollars. They had the "best" happy hour in the area. Before this incident we witnessed an attempted murder as a guy intentionally ran down a girl in the parking lot. I'll never forget that sound and seeing the girl fly 20' in the air. Then this happened and it was reported that the driver blew a .40 on the breathalizer, basically comatose...

https://www.patriotledger.com/news/20180725/whatever-happened-tothe-ground-round

https://www.squirrelfarts.com/2011/10/19/the-battle-for-happy-hour/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, South Shore Slop said:

The Ground Round in Braintree killed happy hours in MA. I remember going there and getting pitchers of mixed drinks for a few dollars. They had the "best" happy hour in the area. Before this incident we witnessed an attempted murder as a guy intentionally ran down a girl in the parking lot. I'll never forget that sound and seeing the girl fly 20' in the air. Then this happened and it was reported that the driver blew a .40 on the breathalizer, basically comatose...

https://www.patriotledger.com/news/20180725/whatever-happened-tothe-ground-round

https://www.squirrelfarts.com/2011/10/19/the-battle-for-happy-hour/

I vaguely remember that happening.  Holy crap that you saw it

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I guess 8 states don’t allow happy hour including RI, VT, NC, and Alaska of all places.  
Weird. 

NC has state run liquor stores like NH. But, they dont carry much of anything. The selection is really bad. Even basic stuff like vermouth is hard to find. They also dont sell mixers. People who live close to the border make liquor runs to TN, SC, or VA. 

15 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I guess 8 states don’t allow happy hour including RI, VT, NC, and Alaska of all places.  
Weird. 

Never even noticed this.  I just remember in college they had Happy Hour but they got you with free food.  I guess the booze wasn’t discounted but the way around that is “all you can eat free wings from 4-6pm.”

I guess I didn’t realize how it was done but it felt like “happy hour” with everyone going and buying pitchers of beer while they bring you free food like nachos, wings, mozzarella sticks or other stuff.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Good Red Sox win today against the Royals but oof at the Baltimore Orioles.

O’s were 1 out away from winning the game 7-4… and instead lost 10-7 when the Blue Jays scored 6 runs with 2 outs in the 9th. lol you can’t make that stuff up.

The Orioles can definitely make that kind of stuff up and then make it a reality. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Never even noticed this.  I just remember in college they had Happy Hour but they got you with free food.  I guess the booze wasn’t discounted but the way around that is “all you can eat free wings from 4-6pm.”

I guess I didn’t realize how it was done but it felt like “happy hour” with everyone going and buying pitchers of beer while they bring you free food like nachos, wings, mozzarella sticks or other stuff.

Yeah, food specials are probably the workaround. 

24 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

NH’s state run liquor stores are awesome. I always find all sorts of unique and rare stuff in there. Even the stores in Gorham and Berlin are big and well-stocked with neat things. I much prefer that setup to the MD free-for-all setup where you never know what a store will carry. 

We ALWAYS stop in NH for liquor-best deal around...

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

When I was in School on Fridays we'd go into Boston and get 2 for 1 plus they all had appetizers, all you can eat, that was our dinner on Fridays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I used to do 10 cent drafts up in Burlington on Tuesday nights. That did some damage. I’ll just say that I don’t think Milwaukee’s Best actually is.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I used to do 10 cent drafts up in Burlington on Tuesday nights. That did some damage. I’ll just say that I don’t think Milwaukee’s Best actually is.  

There was a place near Worcester we would go to on Monday nights, 25 cent drafts, nasty stuff but when your in school every penny counts, those nights usually ended with a brawl and cops coming.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DotRat_Wx said:

When I used to go to school in MD, I had never heard of anything like two for one. It was truly amazing 

MA happy hours were great but sloppy.  I don't really miss them.  This state is drunk enough without sloppy pitchers at 1am.

Best to pay full price for your alcohol because it usually leads to better decisions or lessons learned.

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Good Red Sox win today against the Royals but oof at the Baltimore Orioles.

O’s were 1 out away from winning the game 7-4… and instead lost 10-7 when the Blue Jays scored 6 runs with 2 outs in the 9th. lol you can’t make that stuff up.

O's hit 6 HR, all solo.

• Like 1