Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

42 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That must be really nice in pesky damming scenarios. I'd love to see that when the icing was schedule to flip to 33 rain yet it's still accreting almost to Kevin's

How often is that update - like ..hourly or half hourly ?

It actually updates like every 10-15 min. I didn't save a plot from this site for the ice storm, but one of my favorites that I did save was from April 4, 2016 when powder snow was falling right into Logan airport and it was in the 70s south of PHL. Don't typically get a gradient like that.

image.png.79a7f03085f8d7360986b1e7e47d4a81.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It actually updates like every 10-15 min. 

That’s awesome that it updates so often.  I’ll bookmark that tool.  That’s often my issue with graphical sites like that as they often update only on the hour and can be late at that… so they often have decent lag and don’t update the SPECI metars.  

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s awesome that it updates so often.  I’ll bookmark that tool.  That’s often my issue with graphical sites like that as they often update only on the hour and can be late at that… so they often have decent lag and don’t update the SPECI metars.  

Yeah here is the main site. I had linked to the map itself, but you can go to other regions from the main site. It's def nice to have a map that will catch the SPECIs

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/surface/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah here is the main site. I had linked to the map itself, but you can go to other regions from the main site. It's def nice to have a map that will catch the SPECIs

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/surface/

I'm such an idiot :facepalm:   ....been going there for radar history all along - 'specially now that NWS has no radar at all - ... sarcasm intended!  f'n assholes

anyway, didn't even consider poking around in there for other stuff.. oy

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

It actually updates like every 10-15 min. I didn't save a plot from this site for the ice storm, but one of my favorites that I did save was from April 4, 2016 when powder snow was falling right into Logan airport and it was in the 70s south of PHL. Don't typically get a gradient like that.

image.png.79a7f03085f8d7360986b1e7e47d4a81.png

Sick event. ZR in srn CT too. 

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Enough of the weather talk in the banter thread!

You probably weren’t spending much time in this sub-forum before last year, but prior to that this Banter thread would grow like a page per week, if that, during the summer.  This June banter thread probably has more posts already than a decade of summer banter threads… back before debating and trying to solve all the world’s problems was allowed :lol:.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

You probably weren’t spending much time in this sub-forum before last year, but prior to that this Banter thread would grow like a page per week, if that, during the summer.  This June banter thread probably has more posts already than a decade of summer banter threads… back before debating and trying to solve all the world’s problems was allowed :lol:.

Temp talk, dew talk or COVID, Bitcoin and toenails, take your pick 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, White Rain said:

We took the kids back to the Southwick zoo today. What a great day weatherwise and the crowds weren’t bad being a Thursday. It was maybe 4-5 years since we went last. Very relaxed Covid policy which seems to be the case most places now - I applaud them. Saw 99% of people unmasked.

Only saw two adults masked but caught a couple families with adults masks pulled down to their chins but their small children still wearing them. Felt bad for them. Still probably 1 in 100 overall had them on, maybe less? 

Ya southwick is cool. I want to go back this summer. My kid loved it 

23 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Its very last minute so no doubt it is causing issues with travel and project work. Still I was thinking its not totally unprecedented. They have announced closures on short notice in the past for many reasons including adverse weather.

The weather angle is true, but in those cases they authorize telework for contractors right away as the govt workers are permitted to telework as well. We are dealing with a scenario now where the govt offices are closed and on mandated “holiday” so teleworking for contractors is not always being authorized for this new holiday. 

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The first night off for the Red Sox after a 17 day stretch.  Weird having to decide on something to watch.

That’s crazy talk. The US Open is on NBC and it’s live since their in California. I love watching Bryson struggle. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Covid, my company dropped all mask, distancing, and occupancy mandates today, effective immediately for vaxed employees. 
Unvaxed will have to wear masks and undergo weekly, MANDATORY Covid tests. 
Honor system. 
Covid tests are offered twice a week, walk up, onsite, for free. 
We had seven vaxed people in our conf room when it was restricted to four. Living on the edge.

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

What a comeback / collapse if anyone saw the Philly / hawks nba playoff contest last nite . 

Doc rivers seat probably getting hot

What an utter disaster that was as a Sixers fan. Doc's seat may be getting warm, but this team may need to break up in the off-season if they lose this series.  Not that anyone in this thread gives two shites about the Sixers..ha.

We

26 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

And we saw a big bear on Wednesday evening driving back from our daughter’s school. He was hanging in someone’s yard right by the road.   

We have a bear on the South Shore right now.  EPOs have been letting him do his thing.  People in coastal towns are not used to seeing them so they're calling 911.  He's been ranging between Scituate and Duxbury.  Saw yoga pants and he's come back twice now to Duxbury. 

Capture.JPG

• Haha 3