Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The media has 100% gotten worse . We can agree to disagree there but they have found a way to illicit emotion much better for clicks . They have honed their skills 

Ok yeah I agree with that.  The playbook is the same, illicit an emotional response to a story.  Whether it’s “Dateline” in 1996 with a “You won’t believe what this mother in Ohio has to say if you want to keep your kids safe, stay tuned at 7pm to find out how a child can get stolen right out of their own bed” or a headline now to get you to click on the story online…. they’ve always been sensationalizing stuff with fear.

You are right though, they’ve honed their skills over time, like any competitive business does.

43 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Found a pic of u 2 on the internet emoji_snowflake_thumb.jpg.28260f0e88b3d34c281cf82147fc5b8a.jpg

6 hours ago, forkyfork said:

so you got your mandates lifted but that's not good enough? lolz. upper middle class white people are so fragile 

I can show you alot of snowflakes if i flipped that last sentence around lol.

Since this is the Covid thread, I thought I’d give a mask report.

In the DC area for work this week… Montgomery County, MD still has tons of masks, even outdoors. Just across the border in Fairfax County, VA, I hardly see any around.

There’s not any political difference between MD and NOVA at this point so I was shocked by the contrast. Perhaps @PhineasC has a take on this. 

• Haha 4

37 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

Since this is the Covid thread, I thought I’d give a mask report.

In the DC area for work this week… Montgomery County, MD still has tons of masks, even outdoors. Just across the border in Fairfax County, VA, I hardly see any around.

There’s not any political difference between MD and NOVA at this point so I was shocked by the contrast. Perhaps @PhineasC has a take on this. 

The Montgomery County govt is notoriously deranged. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The media has 100% gotten worse . We can agree to disagree there but they have found a way to illicit emotion much better for clicks . They have honed their skills and they have many more outlets to overwhelm the chatter cycle and magnify emotion ..it’s 24/7 on multiple platforms ..and BC they are down to hype For clicks / views ...well that’s ..not good 

As a non business owner I’m not very concerned about variants . if I owned a business I would be Moderately concerned of the delta variant or others they may potentially develop later   , mostly due to the trauma of what we just went thru, where “over reacting” for safety was the Protocol and many were forced into going out of business . That umm..is trauma . Maybe This turkey day there could be another “spike” that spooks decision makers this certainly has a seasonal pulse to it  ...or maybe this mutates a bit more (delta variant is said to have different main symptoms- headache - sore throat ) sort of cold like bc the rest of the world hasn’t gotten this thing under wraps .  Again personally.. I’m not concerned but it feels to me like as a society we tend to either over react to things or under react as coping mechanisms and I couldn’t be too comfy If I had a ton of financial retail exposure that this is truly over .

Basically everyone here saying “white fragility” and posting snowflakes at those who are worried about mask mandates and shutdowns is a basic worker bee who has never been sued for millions of dollars over a mask. 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Basically everyone here saying “white fragility” and posting snowflakes at those who are worried about mask mandates and shutdowns is a basic worker bee who has never been sued for millions of dollars over a mask. 

Basic worker bees :lol:.

You do have a gift at making your points in the most condescending way possible, lol.  It’s not a wrong take.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I had “wage slaves” before but I figured it was too harsh. LOL

Haha a seasoned vet in the political forum.  The imagery is strong with worker bees... just alive to service the great Queen bee.  I think it works even better than what you had in mind.

• Like 1

Garrett Richards pitching well... and then just crushing an RBI double, one-hopping the wall, against the Braves.  This game in Atlanta sounds like a home game for the Sox, the Braves fans hate it.

I love when a Red Sox pitcher gets to hit and absolutely smokes a ball.  104mph exit velo, ha!

7 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I've read some blogs where some are freaked out over this Indian/delta variant and are afraid we'll have to lock down and go back to masking and shut down over it. They point to the UK cases rising and hospitalizations there going up ETC ETC and think that it will happen here. 

Some will fear this the rest of their lives. PTSD is real.

I extolled at length about this earlier ... problem was the “at length” but -

There were two pandemics:

One was sar-cov-2 

the other was self imposed at a species level; a response spectrum of unnatural imposition resulting tolls yet to be quantified 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Garrett Richards pitching well... and then just crushing an RBI double, one-hopping the wall, against the Braves.  This game in Atlanta sounds like a home game for the Sox, the Braves fans hate it.

I love when a Red Sox pitcher gets to hit and absolutely smokes a ball.  104mph exit velo, ha!

This post didn't age well although they got to the bullpen again and are up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

This post didn't age well although they got to the bullpen again and are up.

Nope, didn't age well.  Richards did not pitch well in the end.  Now the bullpen trying to cough this one up, after a dramatic 2-out, 2-strike grand slam by Arroyo.

11 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Lol- In the big leagues we have these things called “corporate insurance programs” that allow for us “deciders” to not have to worry about such things…and focus on things like you know actually “running the business”. But please tell me more about you losing sleep over slip and fall accidents because surely you must be more worried about those- more plausible than a mask lawsuit. 

• Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

26 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Last two days were cases below 60 in MA. So for the time being even after opening up we are lower than any point last summer.

Same in CT-lower than last summer- about 30-40 cases a day and positivity rate of .3 or something like that.  Hospitalizations are down to 50 or so-on par with last summer.  I'd be we get close to 0 cases a day come July/August with vaccinations slowly creeping up as well.   

3 hours ago, Supernovice said:

Lol- In the big leagues we have these things called “corporate insurance programs” that allow for us “deciders” to not have to worry about such things…and focus on things like you know actually “running the business”. But please tell me more about you losing sleep over slip and fall accidents because surely you must be more worried about those- more plausible than a mask lawsuit. 

You don’t run shit. LOL

Total fraud. 

If you were the guy on the dotted line, you’d be aware that most insurance companies are not covering all COVID-related claims right now and that there has been a huge rise in the number of such claims. The insurance companies are happy to tell you this as soon as you call them up.

Seems like you are just another finance worm playing with other people’s money and not your own. People stopped considering that a noble profession in 2008. 

39 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You don’t run shit. LOL

Total fraud. 

If you were the guy on the dotted line, you’d be aware that most insurance companies are not covering all COVID-related claims right now and that there has been a huge rise in the number of such claims. The insurance companies are happy to tell you this as soon as you call them up.

Seems like you are just another finance worm playing with other people’s money and not your own. People stopped considering that a noble profession in 2008. 

Looks like I struck a nerve- oops. You'll have to forgive me- was up all night worried about an employee. 

You see- they are having surgery today and I don't know how we as a company are going to pay for it. I wish there was something we could do, like some program or company that you paid a yearly fee into, and then they would cover an employee if they had some medical issues over a certain dollar threshold- like a deductible almost... it's a shame really.

Two states in the Union have theoretical herd immunity as of this morning:  Maine and Massachusetts. Edit, actually CT, VT ..there are others. But the majority still trail behind -

I've read that to be 58 % need be unavailable to virus penetration as the lowest 'magic' barrier.

Now, .. that may not be accurate ? I've also read 64 .. 78 etc.  

It seems intuitive to me.  Really, I want to say entirely academic. One number-percent cannot fit all; that cannot apply everywhere.

Variables of an unevenly distributed demographic spread, one that is also 'nonsessile,' means that value simply has to vary based upon regional distinctions.  44 may be sufficient for more rural areas, where say .. 78 may be required in a denser urban hustle and tussle -  or skirt township population next to those and so forth.  I"m sure you need 100% in a typical Walmart where marvels of hygiene wobble around.

My point is, we are not at herd immunity as a whole country, combining vax together with those organically resolved.  Yet, daily new loading is routinely < 20K at the U.S. scale.

The other aspect is that it is a sign of dim intellect to think that any such HI percent has to be reach before seeing responses in the general population case loading.  The numbers will begin to fall before that event horizon is breached. But I feel the current 'pre-fall' is being accelerated when combined with other variables, such as natural tendencies to come out of hiding and spread out - i.e., 'distancing' ? - may be helpful. Just maybe. 

Texas to me was perhaps a canary in the coal mine that something about the general sardining/sheltering of population into households, when a single member may or may not have been exposed ... At first, for a month... that might 'slow' matters?  But it also acted as a petri-dish to protract matters into a longer ordeal, as each household made one case all but guarantee it becomes more than one case.  Just a hypothesis - don't freak.

It might have been an uncertainty and assumption, and one that was then promoted by big media as more factual - to the point of gaslighting you if you ventured out. Because it DEFINITELY suited them well to keep you scared and locked away with nothing else to do but shorten your life in anxiety by blue light of your smart phone as you thumb swipe through their illusory landscape of a reality coming to get you!

Thus, their angles ...it is plausible they actually helped the spread of this thing during those mid winter pillars in the curves, by helping to foment zeitgeist that prevented spreading out - thus continuing to concentrate germs in dense clusters of people.  

Texas relaxed.  It seemed almost as though a less daunted, rather surprising optimistic result was what?  - too much in conflict with the Industrial Media Complex's "shimmering paragon of ethics and journalistic integrity" - hint hint.  So it got reported, but with rusty pop and brevity, so that the other sells languished and length appealing to primal fear, and the masses would stay hooked to doom instead.

There are three wars going on here.   The entrails of SAR-CoV-2 clean-up;  the ramification and quantization of damages ( psycho-babble to economics and back); the media Machiavellian revving of incendiary equivocation engine to enhance their Q'erly profits.  

At the other side of herd immunity, there is just maintenance for ever.  Thanks to China's negligence ( or test run ... heh - ) during bio-engineering, in a covert bio-warfare research program that the rest of the world will never be exposed to as truth, Humanity has now delivered onto big pharma's plate a deliciously new vaccine econ to add to the Spanish fluid genomic descendance - nice goin'

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Rap real time is a good site too

https://weather.rap.ucar.edu/surface/displaySfc.php?region=alb&endDate=20210617&endTime=-1&duration=0

It's the one I use the most for regional obs

image.png.0f3f402210eef36fa6cdbf20c9297773.png

That must be really nice in pesky damming scenarios. I'd love to see that when the icing was schedule to flip to 33 rain yet it's still accreting almost to Kevin's

How often is that update - like ..hourly or half hourly ?