Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

15 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I always wanted to experience -50 and 120, I kind of experienced -50 at Skagway, they had a gold mining attraction and they had a freezer room that was -50 but you knew you could open the door and it was 50 so not the same but hurt nonetheless.

Coldest I've experienced was -42 at Fort Kent, was in the woods at -40 when the home instrument reached -47 in Jan '79.  Coldest WCI was Jan 18, 1982, -34 with winds 30-35, -101 on the old scale, about -73 on the new.  Hottest was either Hot Saturday in August 1975 (101 oceanside at BHB) or 7/3 66 when I was cooking burgers and dogs at Curtis-Wight's employees' lake resort in NJJ - NYC had 103 that day and LGA 107. 
We'd brown the buns by broiling them under the gas griddle flame but couldn't do it that day - they went straight to black.  We had a cheap coil thermometer on the side wall of the cooking area, maybe 12' from that griddle.  The instrument scale stopped at 120 but the needle had rotated significantly beyond that mark, at least to 140° there.  What it was in the 5' between griddle and serving counter where I spent most of the day, better not to know.  I'd never had a cup of hot coffee in my life at that point but learned a peculiar facet that day - iced tea consumption went up and down with the temp (logically) but coffee was directly proportional to how many came thru the gate.  Sold more on that superheated day than on any other, because it had the biggest crowd of my 2 summers there.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Coldest WCI was Jan 18, 1982, -34 with winds 30-35, -101 on the old scale, about -73 on the new.

That was the week I chose to ski at Sugarloaf for first time...5, 6, 7 runs total that day, bad frost bite on my face each time, was told by the liftie to go into the lodge each time. Such a miserable experience that I didn't ski for the rest of the season nor the next there!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

CT went to online for some things-I renewed my driver's license online-it's the prior picture that they took in their office 6 yrs ago, but everything else I did online-took 5 minutes-was glorious.

I haven't set foot in the DMV in over a decade now that most of the common stuff can be done online. Finally the system they've been promising for years is coming to fruition. Doing the license renewal online was great. Five minutes on the web site and $72 later, and you don't have to think about it again for six years. Your brand new license comes in the mail and surprisingly fast - mine took only five days even though they said allow a few weeks or something like that.

56 minutes ago, Angus said:

That was the week I chose to ski at Sugarloaf for first time...5, 6, 7 runs total that day, bad frost bite on my face each time, was told by the liftie to go into the lodge each time. Such a miserable experience that I didn't ski for the rest of the season nor the next there!

We had half of a men's quartet from New Brunswick Bible Institute stay with us that Saturday night after a seasonably cold day - 16/-1.  In the Sunday pre-dawn the temp dived, into the minus teens by the time we crammed their dry-cleaner bagged suit jackets under our tiny Chevette's hatchback.  When we got to the St. John Bible Church after a 10-mile drive, they watched those thin plastic bags shatter (40 mph gusts helped the cold) as the suits were taken from the car.  They and their accompanying teacher held a well-attended afternoon meeting at UMFK and I distinctly recall the time/temp sign on the bank switching from 3:45 to -24 as the wind howled.  Down to -29 at my 9 PM obs and next morning was the gusty -34 and even with the heater-hose engine warmer running all night the company Chevy Luv (Isuzu) pickup barely started.  It was snowing very lightly as well, visibility a mile or so with 0.1" of tiny snow things falling.  Not much accum but with the day's temps at -14/-34 any at all was remarkable.  (I'd guess the 'Loaf had similar temps but up the mountain the winds would be twice the velocity.
And January 1983 was nearly 13° less cold than the year before, never got below -19 and had little wind.  Missed a much nicer winter, temp-wise, though some thaws would've messed with the snow conditions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

I haven't set foot in the DMV in over a decade now that most of the common stuff can be done online. Finally the system they've been promising for years is coming to fruition. Doing the license renewal online was great. Five minutes on the web site and $72 later, and you don't have to think about it again for six years. Your brand new license comes in the mail and surprisingly fast - mine took only five days even though they said allow a few weeks or something like that.

Works well in Maine as well, until one reaches 70.  I don't think they'd let one take the eyesight exam online.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

I had to go 6 yrs ago when the Triple A license agreement thing ended.  So had to go get my license in person. I remembert thinking "how bad could it be?"     A truly awful experience-workers moving at 50% speed, no urgency to anything.  Staff was miserable and showed it-rude and crude to everyone.     Stuff that in the corporate world that would not be tolerated.     I think it took close to 3 hrs b/w the time I arrived and left.  Just insane.   

12 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I had to go 6 yrs ago when the Triple A license agreement thing ended.  So had to go get my license in person. I remembert thinking "how bad could it be?"     A truly awful experience-workers moving at 50% speed, no urgency to anything.  Staff was miserable and showed it-rude and crude to everyone.     Stuff that in the corporate world that would not be tolerated.     I think it took close to 3 hrs b/w the time I arrived and left.  Just insane.   

Really? Have you ever tried to make a change at an airline ticket counter or called some customer service lines?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Really? Have you ever tried to make a change at an airline ticket counter or called some customer service lines?

This was way worse.   I've never been at a ticket counter for 3 hrs or on a phone line for 3 hrs with anyone and most of the above can be done online now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lay eggs in other birds nests. Nature doing what nature does

Yeah I hear ya. It just seems like a cheap evolutionary tactic. Make your own nest and raise your own kids. Their young usually outgrow and outpace the hatched birds they are placed with too. 

• Like 1

I always wanted to experience -50 and 120, I kind of experienced -50 at Skagway, they had a gold mining attraction and they had a freezer room that was -50 but you knew you could open the door and it was 50 so not the same but hurt nonetheless.

Headed to Death Valley today, should be 124, it was 115 in valley of fire and felt like I was inside an oven.

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

31 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah I hear ya. It just seems like a cheap evolutionary tactic. Make your own nest and raise your own kids. Their young usually outgrow and outpace the hatched birds they are placed with too. 

The should be lifting themselves up by their bootstraps!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

I would like to experience an inch of rain in 24hrs

Wait until late month.  Four times in the past 12 months we've averted setting low-precip records with late-month events, including one that came within one day of eclipsing the driest month in our 23+ years here.
Period        Precip     Record    Final
6/1-28/20      0.69       1.22      4.19
9/1-29/20      0.15       0.84      1.29   (April 1999 had 0.31", our driest month.)
3/1-27/21      0.55       0.94      1.53
5/1-29/21      0.77       1.15      1.73
6/1-14/21      0.06  (Another 0.12" so far on 6/15)

Looking forward to an inch or so in the 28-30 period. (And maybe not much between now and then?)  :lol:

2 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Grinch storm special on December 24th, 2021

You know I've never really gotten into that whole grinch this, or sorted poetic defeat that, wrt to weather phenomenon. But, I'm also not brain numb to the fact that others are.

I can honestly say, having been off-on a part of this social media outlet for so many years ...wow, 15 as a matter of fact - really... wtf 

anyway, was going to say, that event "targeting" Xmass Eve, was the utmost pinnacle paragon for how to butt f* holiday spirit. It was like 01:00:00 of the 24th thru 12:59.59 of the 24th, god-like precision.  That's exceptionally hard and probably like a 1::600 year return right to time and cookie cut so perfectly wrong.

I really don't care about snow on Xmass, but in the spirit of empathic commiseration...anyone that does, ooph.   Sorry, you were abused by God - no other way to draft that out. Take it up with him/her. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I went out into my backyard for 5 minutes… came in and have 7! Ticks on my t shirt… what the heck is up with that?

One of the worst tick years I have ever seen.  Out of control all over SNE.  The weird thing is I'm seeing them up in the hilltowns in places I've never gotten them before.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You know I've never really gotten into that whole grinch this, or sorted poetic defeat that, wrt to weather phenomenon. But, I'm also not brain numb to the fact that others are.

I can honestly say, having been off-on a part of this social media outlet for so many years ...wow, 15 as a matter of fact - really... wtf 

anyway, was going to say, that event "targeting" Xmass Eve, was the utmost pinnacle paragon for how to butt f* holiday spirit. It was like 01:00:00 of the 24th thru 12:59.59 of the 24th, god-like precision.  That's exceptionally hard and probably like a 1::600 year return right to time and cookie cut so perfectly wrong.

I really don't care about snow on Xmass, but in the spirit of empathic commiseration...anyone that does, ooph.   Sorry, you were abused by God - no other way to draft that out. Take it up with him/her. Lol

Maybe quenched your usually active sense of humor on this one?  Seems more serious than warranted, even though the numbers here show a significant warmth, liquid precip and lack of snowfall for the few days running up to and immediately after the 25th.  Probably a statistical fluke and if I had 100 years POR here rather than just 23 the anomaly would disappear.  However, I like exploring wx anomalies (don't we all, here?) so I mention this one fairly frequently.

11 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I went out into my backyard for 5 minutes… came in and have 7! Ticks on my t shirt… what the heck is up with that?

Hit the jackpot.  25 years ago about this time of year we were walking thru a few yards of sweet fern in Lowell, Maine (near WMNF) and when back in open field I had to brush off 20+ dog ticks from the bottom 10" of my right pant leg.