Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The comparison to cancer and heart attacks doesn't work since they are not contagious, but yeah... soon it becomes part of the background of diseases that may cause death like influenza or typhoid...  just need it to a reasonable level.  The US is pretty close to that right now...  

Australia and Canada are head scratchers for me...  big wide open countries with relatively few cases.

Right…. Is not a great example, but the numbers are what they are, even with it being contagious. Mass dropped the mask mandate, what, 2+ weeks ago now? And there hasn’t been one hint of an increase 

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

zero or even close to it will never happen...this is here to stay

insane especially with the US wide open now...are Americans allowed in Canada? 

a bad flu season can kill 40-50K Americans-we've never locked down over that....

It can kill 60-70k actually....2017-2018 flu season had around that number.

The "delta" variant breakthroughs aren't all that compelling unless they are killing vaccinated people.

The Australia stuff is really bizarre. They truly are going for zeros across the board there. And as soon as they open anything or to anyone; they’ll get some cases, so I guess they’ll shut it down again.

I guess they can puff out their chest and say look at how low our covid cases are! As people are locked in hotel rooms and their homes.

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

The Australia stuff is really bizarre. They truly are going for zeros across the board there. And as soon as they open anything or to anyone; they’ll get some cases, so I guess they’ll shut it down again.

Definitely flies against the “tough ol Aussie” stereotype 

22 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I guess they can puff out their chest and say look at how low our covid cases are! As people are locked in hotel rooms and their homes.

at some point they'll have to stop otherwise it'll go on forever.  Canada too....

33 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The "delta" variant breakthroughs aren't all that compelling unless they are killing vaccinated people.

Apparently the 'Industrial Media Complex' never got that memo -

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Apparently the 'Industrial Media Complex' never got that memo -

Got to have something to try to scare us with-remember how the British variant would lead to a big 4th wave here?  Never happened. Or Texas opening up with no masks and full attendance at sports stadiums? Never happened either....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Got to have something to try to scare us with-remember how the British variant would lead to a big 4th wave here?  Never happened. Or Texas opening up with no masks and full attendance at sports stadiums? Never happened either....

Or swine flu was going to destroy humanity a few years ago.

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

The Texas situation might be the single most damning piece of evidence against continued lockdowns anywhere, and possibly against lockdowns outside of the peak as well.

Countless pundits and political figures condemning Texas, and I believe someone even called it a “disaster waiting to happen” and it just never materialized, and nobody ever heard about it again.

I didn’t think it was a great idea, but the numbers are what they are, it has almost no effect 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

So are the Blue Jays, apparently

Merwin Gonzales and Arroyo pitched yesterday. Jeesh!. 

I saw Gonzales hit like 89.6mph on his fastball... lol.  A utility infielder.  Give him a role.

I loved @Great Snow 1717's take yesterday... that Fenway Security needed to start removing women and children from the Monster Seats and Bleachers before someone got killed by the lasers being hit into those seats by the Blue Jays.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah, there will no doubt be outbreaks in the south this summer with Delta but since the mRNA vaccines are quite protective there's only so much people can do. If you chose not to get the shot, that's your choice, but we shouldn't start locking stuff down because of it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

The Texas situation might be the single most damning piece of evidence against continued lockdowns anywhere, and possibly against lockdowns outside of the peak as well.

Countless pundits and political figures condemning Texas, and I believe someone even called it a “disaster waiting to happen” and it just never materialized, and nobody ever heard about it again.

I didn’t think it was a great idea, but the numbers are what they are, it has almost no effect 

Not to foment the 'anti-response crowd' ( lol - )

But I partially agree.   I said the following months and months and months back to the beginning of this mess, that it is an experiment, really. It's really about a sociotechnological evolution we are in, where it is possible to even try?  - unprecedented in that sense, actually.  The last time the entire world and all sovereignties agreed upon a course of action, at this recent scale, was WWII.

But what we are trying to do here is defeat a biology on this planet that has been around for 3 BILLION years. Whether this virus was doctored by human's as a bio-weapon and is being suppressed as a truth or not, viruses behave the same way.  3 billion years,  a time span in which no other countermanding force has been capable of stopping them. Using what? distancing and washing hands?   Oh, try - sure.  By all means. In fact, the experiment is part of the evolutionary process and has to happen -

I don't think, however, that means we can also look back in 20/20 and say we should have known better - experiments are always an iterative process.

The other aspect is, ...we cannot prove how many people's lives were improved, or even saved, if we did nothing at all - it's arguing against NULL space in that sense; the null space has no data to serve as proof/advocate.  Simply put, we don't know what we did to 'save the crisis' because we don't have that data to look at - just an assumption that it did something.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Rats.  I need to switch plates and register a car.  

It’s open. I’m not sure if they’re still doing appointments anymore or if you can just walk in. I had to register a new SUV last July and it was open for that. You just had to go on their web site and make an appointment a week in advance. It was a pain, but doable. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

It’s open. I’m not sure if they’re still doing appointments anymore or if you can just walk in. I had to register a new SUV last July and it was open for that. You just had to go on their web site and make an appointment a week in advance. It was a pain, but doable. 

Sometimes making an appointment at a place like a DMV/RMV sounds like a better way than showing up and waiting two hours.

Or is it like every Apple Store on the planet where they make you make an appointment and then you still wait for 1-2 hours. “Welcome to Apple, we see your appointment is for 2:45pm, but we are running a little behind.  How does 3:45pm sound?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Nope. Gotta love the precedent they are setting! Good Examples!

Reopening is simple. All money. Funny how the political business stays remote. It's bad for the economy though.

CT went to online for some things-I renewed my driver's license online-it's the prior picture that they took in their office 6 yrs ago, but everything else I did online-took 5 minutes-was glorious.

• Like 1