Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

6 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Eh 3 minutes left. I doubt it 

Theyll have to win 2 in a row now. Tough road. 

Good call.  Just watching them get so many shots, figured another one of those 45 shots could go in.

That extra skater last minute was frustrating.  They should've been putting the puck on goal instead of passing  it around looking for a perfect chance.  Throw it at the goalie with traffic in front and see what happens.

2 hours ago, snowman21 said:

Go look at Kyle Crick's slider. It's ridiculous trying to even hit a pitch with nearly 2 feet of horizontal movement - it doesn't even look real. He spins up to 3500 RPM which is crazy because I think high 2000s used to be the god benchmark that few could reach.

Crazy. Very large webbed hands?

12 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I'll just leave this here for baseball fans wondering about the spectacular pitching performances this year.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/06/04/sticky-stuff-is-the-new-steroids-daily-cover?utm_source=pocket-newtab

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Hippy beat you to it

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

A lot of news sites down. 

Maybe related , most media relates this to a fastly Server that went “down” and effected many other companies that use their technology 

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/doj-says-millions-of-dollars-of-bitcoin-reclaimed-from-ransom-paid-to-colonial-pipeline-hackers-11623096838?mod=mw_more_headlines

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

A massive, crippling cyberattack is only a matter of time at this point. Imagine the panic if people all of a sudden couldn’t use credit cards or access their money with ATMs. 

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

A massive, crippling cyberattack is only a matter of time at this point. Imagine the panic if people all of a sudden couldn’t use credit cards or access their money with ATMs. 

Or post on FB, twitter, or IG. Gah, the horror.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

19 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It seems like it might be,  hopefully it can be turned into a opportunity to upgrade cyber security $Maybe find a few experts to go on TV and talk up tighter internet restrictions And gosh maybe blame a little on MMGW and the strain it’s putting on the grid .

Now besides my sense of humor at the opportunities this could present (given the future framework of society and pillars of social movements..(movements that may have been pure of intent before they were tarnished by the cesspool of politics ) that are set in stone, heavily funded  and certainly designed to  lever up emotion to ensure they become as large and gain popularity to exert as much influence on education and opinion molding as possible for *as long as possible* w/out getting better  ) 

that it seems like a major cyber attack that causes enough damage to facilitate knee jerk change is at least 50/50 in next year 

Biogen (BIIB) got FDA approval $ on their Alzheimer’s Drug yesterday . Seems like a good thing.

Biogen then named their price for year supply . 56,000$  , what a racket pricing in that industry is. 

However when you read how they stopped their phase 3 trials due to emerge and engage missing endpoints in intern analysis  ,  They removed it from their pipeline , only to decide in fall 2019 that if you look at the data sideways (Biogen decided to reinterpret the data and say it was better (lol) they reapplied to FDA , got shutdown twice bc the results were based on divergent data  , and then Now were miraculously just approved under agency’s accelerated approval pathway . Sounds really solid ..... sad actually . Advisory panel urged a no vote as recent as April 2021.

https://www.alzforum.org/therapeutics/aducanumab

https://www.statnews.com/2021/05/30/if-the-fda-approves-biogens-alzheimers-treatment-i-wont-prescribe-it/

59 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Biogen (BIIB) got FDA approval $ on their Alzheimer’s  Drug yesterday . Seems like a good thing.

Biogen then named their price for year supply . 56,000$  , what a racket pricing in that industry is. 

However when you read how they stopped their phase 3 trials due to emerge and engage missing endpoints in intern analysis  ,  They removed it from their pipeline , only to decide in fall 2019 that if you look at the data sideways (Biogen decided to reinterpret the data and say it was better (lol) they reapplied to FDA , got shutdown twice bc the results were based on divergent data  , and then Now were miraculously just approved under agency’s accelerated approval pathway . Sounds really solid ..... sad actually . Advisory panel urged a no vote as recent as April 2021.

https://www.alzforum.org/therapeutics/aducanumab

https://www.statnews.com/2021/05/30/if-the-fda-approves-biogens-alzheimers-treatment-i-wont-prescribe-it/

Its not a great drug. The trial results were iffy at best. The problem is that there's nothing out there to treat it. There's a class of drugs called acetylcholinesterase inhibitors (Aricept patch), and a class called NMDA receptor antagonists (Namenda). Both of these are short term fixes that don't get to the root of the plaque problem. In the end its a way to stave off the inevitable. The problem is that the biology of Alzheimer’s  is poorly understood. In order to find a good treatment, the biology needs to be worked out better. 

I don't blame Biogen per se. They're a good well run company. People are desperate for a treatment. The FDA will watch it pretty close. If it's shown there's not a benefit, they will pull it down  the road. They haven't done that very often but I think there's a shift in the thinking. If they approve a drug that could be beneficial for these "unmet needs" but based on sketchy data, the path going forward will be to pull it if there's no benefit after its been on the market.. 

Pricings a tough one. A lot goes into it. One of the reasons drugs cost a lot in the US is because they are mandated to be cheap in other countries. There needs to be more balance. And as I've said before, what institutions charge pharma companies to run clinical trials is criminal. Patent law needs to change to. Starting a patent run time when the structure is published is wrong. The patent duration needs to  run longer once its on the market. There wouldn't be the need to recoup investment in such a short timespan. There's no easy answer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Its not a great drug. The trial results were iffy at best. The problem is that there's nothing out there to treat it. There's a class of drugs called acetylcholinesterase inhibitors (Aricept patch), and a class called NMDA receptor antagonists (Namenda). Both of these are short term fixes that don't get to the root of the plaque problem. In the end its a way to stave off the inevitable. The problem is that the biology of Alzheimer’s  is poorly understood. In order to find a good treatment, the biology needs to be worked out better. 

I don't blame Biogen per se. They're a good well run company. People are desperate for a treatment. The FDA will watch it pretty close. If it's shown there's not a benefit, they will pull it down  the road. They haven't done that very often but I think there's a shift in the thinking. If they approve a drug that could be beneficial for these "unmet needs" but based on sketchy data, the path going forward will be to pull it if there's no benefit after its been on the market.. 

Pricings a tough one. A lot goes into it. One of the reasons drugs cost a lot in the US is because they are mandated to be cheap in other countries. There needs to be more balance. And as I've said before, what institutions charge pharma companies to run clinical trials is criminal. Patent law needs to change to. Starting a patent run time when the structure is published is wrong. The patent duration needs to  run longer once its on the market. There wouldn't be the need to recoup investment in such a short timespan. There's no easy answer. 

Isn’t there still some question as to whether the plaque is actually the cause of Alzheimer’s? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bch2014 said:

Isn’t there still some question as to whether the plaque is actually the cause of Alzheimer’s? 

That too. There's also vascular dementia. What used to be called "hardening of the arteries". Nothing much to be done there either. Everyone wants a fix to all the ills. Some things just cant be fixed but humans want them to be. Medical science can only do so much. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I'll add:

Part of the reason the FDA approved it is they were lobbied HARD! Not by Biogen, but buy AZ advocacy groups. 

I'll play both sides of the coin. On one hand, is it ethical to withhold a treatment for such a huge unmet medical need even if the data is sketchy. On the other hand, is it ethical  to approve a drug that may not even work well (or even at all) and have government and private payers pay millions for reimbursement.

Hard decision. But if I were the all powerful OZ, I wouldn't have approved it. Sets a bad precedent and somewhat reduces the efficacy requirements to that of snake oil. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I'll add:

Part of the reason the FDA approved it is they were lobbied HARD! Not by Biogen, but buy AZ advocacy groups. 

I'll play both sides of the coin. On one hand, is it ethical to withhold a treatment for such a huge unmet medical need even if the data is sketchy. On the other hand, is it ethical  to approve a drug that may not even work well (or even at all) and have government and private payers pay millions for reimbursement.

Hard decision. But if I were the all powerful OZ, I wouldn't have approved it. Sets a bad precedent and somewhat reduces the efficacy requirements to that of snake oil. 

What , if any ..ties are there between “Big pharma” and the Az advocate groups funding or leadership 

56 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Pricings a tough one. A lot goes into it. One of the reasons drugs cost a lot in the US is because they are mandated to be cheap in other countries. There needs to be more balance. And as I've said before, what institutions charge pharma companies to run clinical trials is criminal. Patent law needs to change to. Starting a patent run time when the structure is published is wrong. The patent duration needs to  run longer once its on the market. There wouldn't be the need to recoup investment in such a short timespan.

Agree whole heartedly ... if folks truly understood (absorb the impact) the price differentials between not just drugs but hospital equipment - domestic versus foreign and the subsidization that goes on between markets there would be outrage. IMO pricing differently between a developing country and W. Europe/USA/Canada/Japan is completely justifiable and good business - I do alot of pricing work in my job and love to price on the margin - but the differentials between W. Europe and US in many cases is crazy.