Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

16 hours ago, PhineasC said:

The fact is, the efforts to shut down all debate on the lab leak theory came from the Democrats, specifically because Trump was pushing that theory. I hope people have the intellectual honesty to admit that and try to do better next time.

It's also another really, really good example of why you can't simply accept the media-manufactured "expert consensus" at face value. The media and even some of the "experts" will lie to you without a second thought.

(Media + profit)/2 =  no truth...

...ever

I'm just agreeing with you in blunt format here.

I mused a while ago, well months and months ago, and probably years ago before that, too:  the day that the IMC ( "Industrial Media Complex" ) figured out how to turn thumb swipes, mouse clicks, and T.V. channel pings, into economic motion, we've been living in a re-imagined universe ;)  

You know, there is no burning bush or booming voice from the sky instructing anything we do.   It is all contrived - period.  Folks in general, the vast, vast majority, don't really understand that, and that reality exists actually outside the cinema of humanity- a theme that is self-chosen and executed. all of it.

Geologic and extra-terrestrial threats ( no not aliens, god forbid! but like super volcanoes, solar storms and comet impacts - ), these events do not happen - typically - in the scales of a single life time. This world really is a utopian oasis against a proven, observable firmament festooned with hostile worlds and calamities.   But we turn on the news, an invention created entirely by humanity, and of course it is this steady diet of unavoidable thumb swipes, mouse clicks or TV channel changing, or you'll be soooorrrrry    

lol 

The funny irony about that geological shit is ... humanity is a geological force now, one that IS, regardless of any belief, quantifiable and reproducible in science. Yet, the aspects observed in the environment and reproduced in intellect and experiment, that evince humanity's actual connection to the physical universe, those get denied. Those are ones that really do present the existential threats ( not just to us but is triggering a mass- extinction etc etc), and we stand around staring nonplussed when not outright denying. 

6 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So I sold something online and it’s shipping via USPS. The buyer wants me to cross out her name when shipping because it’s a gift. Can I do this? Will they accept it.

USPS will definitely deliver to the address. The recipient (if not the buyer herself) may refuse it though?

1 minute ago, NorEastermass128 said:

USPS will definitely deliver to the address. The recipient (if not the buyer herself) may refuse it though?

Yeah, I’m not exactly sure what the arrangement is. She just asked if I could cross out the name, and I was just making sure it was legal.

I sort of figured as long as they have the address and a return address it wouldn’t be an issue 

By the way ...re the ridiculous alien banter -

granted, it may just be 'banter' but no -

this man echoes precisely what we've already discussed, in this social media,

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/06/04/ufo-sightings-china-hakeem-oluseyi-intv-newday-vpx.cnn

over the last couple of months. In my own words I wrote, the Military is merely admitting to UFO's ; the are not saying they are aliens. 

People tend to conflate those two aspects - which CNN knew all along  ( digressing here..), and now that they have made their profits off leveraging that 'social engineering' tactically, they are suddenly willing to surface these interviews.

42 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah, I’m not exactly sure what the arrangement is. She just asked if I could cross out the name, and I was just making sure it was legal.

I sort of figured as long as they have the address and a return address it wouldn’t be an issue 

If you have the nine digit ZIP Code it will arrive at its destination no questions asked.

19 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

By the way ...re the ridiculous alien banter -

granted, it may just be 'banter' but no -

this man echoes precisely what we've already discussed, in this social media,

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/06/04/ufo-sightings-china-hakeem-oluseyi-intv-newday-vpx.cnn

over the last couple of months. In my own words I wrote, the Military is merely admitting to UFO's ; the are not saying they are aliens. 

People tend to conflate those two aspects - which CNN knew all along  ( digressing here..), and now that they have made their profits off leveraging that 'social engineering' tactically, they are suddenly willing to surface these interviews.

I’m sure the official report will come out saying it is Russian or Chinese technology and we need to double our military budget to counter it.  With big fat contracts going to the usual suspects.

Meanwhile food insecurity grows every year in the United States.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

What do UFOs have to do with religion? Obama mentioned something like that too, and I don't get it.

They are all different topics he touches on. He’s not really trying to equate one with the other. Mostly the mysteries involved with each

If you wanna skip my mumbo jumbo scroll and read article .

I hadn’t personally read this article that finally put the lab leak theory back to being a mainstream accepted option but this scientist just killed it in this  article .

The part dismantling the early lab leak dismissal that made it Into the lancet (top scientific journal ) and how that opinion science piece  was Crafted by someone funding  gain of function research should shake your faith in worshiping science blindly . Why? Because this article created  millions of opinions And determined for those who subscribe (what is “appropriate” to believe , and what is conspiracy). *Many scientists *did realize that article was blowing the whistle way 2 early but it became a detriment to your career to bother to speak out and state the Lancet articles flaws from a scientific viewpoint which was politically “conspiracy” talk at that point .

*This particular sequence of events should not be assumed to be isolated to this scenario alone , because of the success of doing so and the benefits . It took an article so strong to spell this out that mainstream had to backtrack 

This shows Bad science can exist  when it’s Particularly motivating $$ to do so , and even a leading journal like lancet can fall prey to either politics or falling asleep at the wheel . The article goes on and on and doesn’t draw any conclusions but certainly makes a case that thinking people have realized . Who would face potential blowback If the lab leak theory gains acceptance, (beyond China ( who was involved in gain of research funding and Why did a internal memo in December dissuade the administration from looking deeper into the origin with a warning it could “open a can of worms “?

Again as mentioned earlier I see symptoms of the Broader Dangerous “think like me” culture being pushed in institutions and Often can effect your job prospects if you think AND speak  outside of what “thought police” deem acceptable 

Read the article . 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thebulletin.org/2021/05/the-origin-of-covid-did-people-or-nature-open-pandoras-box-at-wuhan/amp/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

If you wanna skip my mumbo jumbo scroll and read article .

I hadn’t personally read this article that finally put the lab leak theory back to being a mainstream accepted option but this scientist just killed it in this  article .

The part dismantling the early lab leak dismissal that made it Into the lancet (top scientific journal ) and how that opinion science piece  was Crafted by someone funding  gain of function research should shake your faith in worshiping science blindly . Why? Because this article created  millions of opinions And determined for those who subscribe (what is “appropriate” to believe , and what is conspiracy). *Many scientists *did realize that article was blowing the whistle way 2 early but it became a detriment to your career to bother to speak out and state the Lancet articles flaws from a scientific viewpoint which was politically “conspiracy” talk at that point .

*This particular sequence of events should not be assumed to be isolated to this scenario alone , because of the success of doing so and the benefits . It took an article so strong to spell this out that mainstream had to backtrack 

This shows Bad science can exist  when it’s Particularly motivating $$ to do so , and even a leading journal like lancet can fall prey to either politics or falling asleep at the wheel . The article goes on and on and doesn’t draw any conclusions but certainly makes a case that thinking people have realized . Who would face potential blowback If the lab leak theory gains acceptance, (beyond China ( who was involved in gain of research funding and Why did a internal memo in December dissuade the administration from looking deeper into the origin with a warning it could “open a can of worms “?

Again as mentioned earlier I see symptoms of the Broader Dangerous “think like me” culture being pushed in institutions and Often can effect your job prospects if you think AND speak  outside of what “thought police” deem acceptable 

Read the article . 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thebulletin.org/2021/05/the-origin-of-covid-did-people-or-nature-open-pandoras-box-at-wuhan/amp/

The appeal to authority fallacy was totally out of control in 2020.

Any clown could hop on Twitter can claim to be a "virologist" or "epidemiologist" and expound on any topic ranging from school closures to unemployment benefits. These biased/slanted bozos had their words picked up by the mainstream media and beamed directly into people's houses 24 hours a day.

This dude is a great example:

https://twitter.com/drericding

The other scary thing that has been happening since 2020 is the sudden worshipping of mega-corporations as always-benevolent overlords who have our best interests in mind. An enormous global corporation would never silence speech it doesn't like, manipulate the financial markets to its own ends, or sell drugs they know are harming people just to make a profit!!

10-15 years ago people were much more skeptical of big corporations. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The appeal to authority fallacy was totally out of control in 2020.

Any clown could hop on Twitter can claim to be a "virologist" or "epidemiologist" and expound on any topic ranging from school closures to unemployment benefits. These biased/slanted bozos had their words picked up by the mainstream media and beamed directly into people's houses 24 hours a day.

This dude is a great example:

https://twitter.com/drericding

The other scary thing that has been happening since 2020 is the sudden worshipping of mega-corporations as always-benevolent overlords who have our best interests in mind. An enormous global corporation would never silence speech it doesn't like, manipulate the financial markets to its own ends, or sell drugs they know are harming people just to make a profit!!

10-15 years ago people were much more skeptical of big corporations. 

Yes , but to be published in the lancet and shape so many opinions and be basically a piece penned by those conducting gain of function research (protect their own azz) and this wasn’t caught by the finest scientific journal is a fukkin joke that they ran it.

Then by running it , it served as a deterrent to scientists who said wait a moment , this isn’t even scientifically sound and no such call can made at that time ..bc then you are open to be called a idiot , a conspiracy nut or a anti China racist or Whatever catch phrase people think may harm your reputation, your job security  for not sticking to “their science” . This is the huge trend in the world right now . People emotionally overreacting and crying about people who don’t agree with the political stance on issues and how it effects folks livelihoods if they speak up .

22 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Yes , but to be published in the lancet and shape so many opinions and be basically a piece penned by those conducting gain of function research (protect their own azz) and this wasn’t caught by the finest scientific journal is a fukkin joke that they ran it.

Then by running it , it served as a deterrent to scientists who said wait a moment , 

Don’t forget it was The Lancet who published that quack Andrew Wakefield’s article that started the “vaccines cause autism”  mess.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Jfc, they are pushing unvaccinated people here to test themselves at least twice a week because " there are still 400,000 people who could get seriously ill or die". Meanwhile we're 60+% fully vaxed.

I still see commentary that we’ve opened too soon, that we should still be masking and distancing and restaurants should be takeout only because the “Indian variant” could breakthrough the vaccine and cause a huge spike in deaths and hospitalizations. There’s going to be people that are afraid and want to keep things locked down for years.

• Like 1

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I think some people need to see others without one before they’ll do it themselves. I’m happy to accommodate that. :D

That’s definitely true . When folks aren’t friends they definitely look for social cues of what is going on around them. IF I don’t know the store policy if I see 2 people that don’t look insane or on crack without I know I’m good 

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

That’s definitely true . When folks aren’t friends they definitely look for social cues of what is going on around them. IF I don’t know the store policy if I see 2 people that don’t look insane or on crack without I know I’m good 

My wife said she saw someone double masked at stop and shop yesterday. 

3 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Just ran some errands, couple stores, grocery and over half at least are still wearing.

I was at Costco today along with what felt like half of New England. I'd say about 90% of the people were wearing masks. And given the wide range of people  - elderly man slowly making his way through the bakery all the way down to the couple with their two very young children - I'd hazard a guess that at least some people there either were ineligible for vaccines or had immune systems that weren't in the best of shape. (Or had family members with the same constraints and were trying not to bring home something besides beer and burgers.)

Remember going to large conferences and expecting to get Con Crud? Either from the plane, the dry air, the crazy hours and bad food or just being mashed in with 25K people? Maybe it won't be so prevalent if there's some basic hygiene like hand washing and limiting the number of people completely mashed into a space. I'm looking at you DefCon in 2019 - minimum of ten minute waits to ride the freight elevator because the regular elevators were so overloaded. Or my last robotics conference where one of the ballroom talks was so full that people were literally sitting on the floor so that they could hear it. 

always a pleasure to login and read the mask field reports!  I'm really sorry this wasn't the berlin wall coming down, or the V-J day times square moment, for the anti-mask ragers.  this surely means we are slipping and sliding on that slippery slope towards totalitarianism.  

• Weenie 3