Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

I just finished reading an old (1985) first-contact sci-fi novel, "Footfall" (Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle) and the book's aliens came from Centauri system - will say no more to avoid spoiling (though I doubt many would be interested in the book.)  However, if a civilization could harness unlimited power - like the sci-fi standard ramscoop gathering interstellar hydrogen to feed a fusion engine - the jump from there to our system might be done in 10 years or so.  A near-year of one-G acceleration would bring the spacecraft past 0.9C, then 5-10 years of free-fall with course changes, depending on how direct a course can be, then a year of one-G deceleration and hello to Sol system.  Just a few technological wrinkles to solve.  :lol:

I read that book back in 1991 ...wow, memories.

You should try "Lucifer's Hammer" by the same authors.

Typical of their corroboration, their works are volumetric opuses. Proooobably not well suited for present day Twitospheric population of convenience addled "sharp wits".

As a typical story novel may be written, where one may engage with a plot piggybacking subplots?  Theirs tend multiple concurrent thematic arcs, each toting its own subsidiary popsicle headache labyrinths that really need the 1800 to 2500 hundo pages to get worked out.  If one still seeks the old school method of escape, 2500 pages 'ill certainly provide a nice three week diversion at 1 to 2 hours a night.

One aspect I like about their science fiction is that it is based upon actual real science; providing a real "sciency" platform to visualize, re-imagine, implicate consequence makes it more compelling.  I mean, it is more on the science side of the "Science Fiction& Fantasy" literary genre.  I like fantasy - but swinging light sabers and moving objects with one's mind should not be couched together with suturing carbon nanotubes as anatomical analogs to mimic real biological mircotubules behavior, and emerges not just A.I. ., A.A., artificial awareness.  See one has plausibility -one does not.  Those authors are more hard core science in the fictional process.

Well, Footfall is a bit of stretch, okay. But is still vastly more plausible than Jedi's. 

Lucifer's Hammer is straight up likely to happen some day - it's one of those just a matter of timers.

• Like 1

The IsraeIi Health Ministry says there is a likely link between the Pfizer vaccine and myocarditis in the 16-30 age group, and particularly in 16-19 year olds.  Seems like there isn't consensus on this yet though.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-sees-probable-link-between-pfizer-vaccine-small-number-myocarditis-cases-2021-06-01/

I haven't seen polling on it, but I wonder what percentage of parents who got a covid vaccine are hesitant about their kids getting it as people may tend to be more cautious with their kids.  In general, you would expect that parents who did not receive a vaccine would not want their kid getting one either. 

Although the risk of vaccine induced myocarditis appears to be quite low, it does make for an interesting debate on whether it's worth getting vaccinated right now if you're in that age group, or if it's worth putting it off and waiting for more info about this.  The risk of severe covid in teenagers is very low, and thebackground level of virus in the US is dropping pretty rapidly.  Of course there could end up being an issue in Fall if huge numbers of kids remain unvaccinated and if safety protocols in schools are relaxed/eliminated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Your clueless. If you responded how bout this i would give u a different answer. 

That was announced yesterday and post market futures didn't budge at all ..in fact they were up. The fall began this am around 6 am. 

This isn't from some little used fund approved for hundreds of billions of dollars that barely bought a fraction of that. The under used program is not a big deal.  The little used program held 13 Billion . 

Apple does that amount in monthly buybacks. 

If this was announced in tandem with scaling back the monthly 40 billion and 80 billion Mortgage backed securities and Treasury (respectively) then you would have something. 

The biggest light shined yesterday was the fed's beige book details revealed and highlighted inflation concerns are stemming from multiple broken supply chains all over the dayum place resulting from the pandemic shutdown.

I DGAF about futures or 1hr/1 day whatever. Algos will whipsaw whichever way over that time frame to throw off trend followers and dumb money. 

This news of the fed turn tilts everything back in favor of bears now. That’s all you need to know. 

20 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The IsraeIi Health Ministry says there is a likely link between the Pfizer vaccine and myocarditis in the 16-30 age group, and particularly in 16-19 year olds.  Seems like there isn't consensus on this yet though.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-sees-probable-link-between-pfizer-vaccine-small-number-myocarditis-cases-2021-06-01/

I haven't seen polling on it, but I wonder what percentage of parents who got a covid vaccine are hesitant about their kids getting it as people may tend to be more cautious with their kids.  In general, you would expect that parents who did not receive a vaccine would not want their kid getting one either. 

Although the risk of vaccine induced myocarditis appears to be quite low, it does make for an interesting debate on whether it's worth getting vaccinated right now if you're in that age group, or if it's worth putting it off and waiting for more info about this.  The risk of severe covid in teenagers is very low, and thebackground level of virus in the US is dropping pretty rapidly.  Of course there could end up being an issue in Fall if huge numbers of kids remain unvaccinated and if safety protocols in schools are relaxed/eliminated.

Biden is trying lots of ways to incentivize people

18 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Why is next week anticipated to be especially crazy for GME ? 
The chart looks to be setting up for a breakout 

Earnings report and share holders meeting. Also, the hot topic of vote count for board members, etc. and the possibility they get more votes than there are shares. Wouldn't be surprised if here are a lot more votes than there are shares. 

18 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I DGAF about futures or 1hr/1 day whatever. Algos will whipsaw whichever way over that time frame to throw off trend followers and dumb money. 

Algos looked to have a glitch yesterday around 12:20. When AMC got halted GME went from $258 - 285. I'd love to figure that one out. 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Typical of their corroboration, their works are volumetric opuses. Proooobably not well suited for present day Twitospheric population of convenience addled "sharp wits".

As a typical story novel may be written, where one may engage with a plot piggybacking subplots?  Theirs tend multiple concurrent thematic arcs, each toting its own subsidiary popsicle headache labyrinths that really need the 1800 to 2500 hundo pages to get worked out.  If one still seeks the old school method of escape, 2500 pages 'ill certainly provide a nice three week diversion at 1 to 2 hours a night.

One aspect I like about their science fiction is that it is based upon actual real science; providing a real "sciency" platform to visualize, re-imagine, implicate consequence makes it more compelling.  I mean, it is more on the science side of the "Science Fiction& Fantasy" literary genre.  I like fantasy - but swinging light sabers and moving objects with one's mind should not be couched together with suturing carbon nanotubes as anatomical analogs to mimic real biological mircotubules behavior, and emerges not just A.I. ., A.A., artificial awareness.  See one has plausibility -one does not.  Those authors are more hard core science in the fictional process.

Well, Footfall is a bit of stretch, okay. But is still vastly more plausible than Jedi's. 

Lucifer's Hammer is straight up likely to happen some day - it's one of those just a matter of timers.

I've read "Lucifer's Hammer" several times over the past 20+ years, also "The Mote in God's Eye" which is my favorite ET novel.  Enjoyed the follow-up to "Mote" - "The Gripping Hand" - but not as much as the original.  I also love the galaxy and characters of Niven's short stories, in "Neutron Star" and successors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That book really affected me back in the day.  I still remember parts of it vividly, like the guy ziplocking technical manuals/books and hiding them in the septic tank.  Genius!  The sad part about the same person realizing that his diabetes was a death sentence was also poingnant  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Here in Mass they have already announced that for middle and high school kids there will be no more masks, distancing, etc.    For elementary they will be deciding in a few weeks...

• Thanks 1

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/06/the-lab-leak-theory-inside-the-fight-to-uncover-covid-19s-origins

Excellent, angering read. This lengthy article pretty much seals the deal for the lab leak theory imo despite the lack of hard evidence. The article assembles many more pieces of the story that I hadn't previously known. And it proves that Peter Daszak and Shi Zhengli are liars

21 minutes ago, tunafish said:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/06/the-lab-leak-theory-inside-the-fight-to-uncover-covid-19s-origins

Excellent, angering read. This lengthy article pretty much seals the deal for the lab leak theory imo despite the lack of hard evidence. The article assembles many more pieces of the story that I hadn't previously known. And it proves that Peter Daszak and Shi Zhengli are liars

we'll never get a definitive until such time as it will not destablize China's relationship with the West, any further. I wrote a rant about this many pages ago - blah blah

Same reason why the JFK investigation/probe pretty much halted at the doorstop of the KGB - uh oh. If they'd connected that up the latter deeper into the sovereign institution, then it becomes a Clausewitzian -scale aspect; one that neither side needs to incinerate the world over  ;)

lol, just my half cynical hot-take... But, still, I -personally - believe that NSA to Pentagon intelligence really already know precisely who the f*ck it was that left the back door open, too -

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

That book really affected me back in the day.  I still remember parts of it vividly, like the guy ziplocking technical manuals/books and hiding them in the septic tank.  Genius!  The sad part about the same person realizing that his diabetes was a death sentence was also poingnant  

I don't really recall those discrete plot elements anymore lol, wow -

Concepts yes.  But yeah, I later read a separate thing about the creation of that book. They spent a lot of time in multiple disciplines, primarily physics, celestial mechanics/astro-physics and sociology research, and tried to create aspects in the story the exposed each. 

The sociological aspect is what stuck out to me the most ( speaking just from orbit - no pun intended).  Once the break-down of civility threshold was breached, they did a marvelous job describing how quickly disorder would tsunamis just as fast as the gravity waves off the impact. And what happened in the aftermath within months, ~ 1/3 of the survivors eventually re-coalesced into some form of primitive society structure, with rudimentary laws and so forth. While the other 1/3s were comprised of either Mad Maxian dystopian shit... rape and pillage gangs and tribal marauders, primal scary 'what humans are capable of monster' stuff.  The other 1/3rd were isolationists and/or sort of xenophobic, peppered about the outlands and fully willing to blow your head clean off your shoulders if they merely see you coming.  

I should re-read the book but life and my own pursuits makes a 2500 page leisure read a bit of tough one -ha.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Headed to Misquamicut, Tuesday through Thursday. Curious to how much cooler it is this time of year. Just inland as we know 85-95 is forecast however, Euro is forecasting 60s all week with maybe some 70s Wednesday. Is it really that much cooler this time of year? I was expecting 70s. 

Ocean is still chilly-unless you have a decent seabreeze I doubt it's under 70....and if you end up with a west or SW wind it will be in the 80's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Here in Mass they have already announced that for middle and high school kids there will be no more masks, distancing, etc.    For elementary they will be deciding in a few weeks...

Hoping that ends up being the  case here in CT-kids are fairly fed up with wearing masks all day, yet outside of school they socialize, have sleepovers, parties mask free

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tunafish said:

It's impressive how so much investigation and info can be obtained and put together in a piece like this.

• Like 2

The fact is, the efforts to shut down all debate on the lab leak theory came from the Democrats, specifically because Trump was pushing that theory. I hope people have the intellectual honesty to admit that and try to do better next time.

It's also another really, really good example of why you can't simply accept the media-manufactured "expert consensus" at face value. The media and even some of the "experts" will lie to you without a second thought.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I read Lucifers Hammer way back when-maybe 35-40 years ago.   Great read but scary possibilities!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Hoping that ends up being the  case here in CT-kids are fairly fed up with wearing masks all day, yet outside of school they socialize, have sleepovers, parties mask free

Next week is going to be awful. 90s. No AC.  Masks.   I expect a stabbing or two to take place.  
And that’s just between the staff

• Haha 3

The funny thing about the time travel Paradox is that there really is no paradox – that’s always just been something of myth that was easily sold and everybody in sci-fi bought into it and all these authors don’t even have it right. Quantum mechanics proves you cannot change the future by going back in time even if you change something in the past because of the uncertainty principle

11 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

The first terminator movie is a top 3 all time scifi horror film imo. The old school special effects are timeless and creepy as fu*k . 

"The Thing " also ranks up there 

"Alien 1 "and "Alien 2 "  are epic

"Predator " is a favorite of mine as well 

Great 1950s sci-fi, first movie role for "Marshall Dillon?"