Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

25 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Only a gamma squeeze today. I jumped in early last week after looking at the options chain. Shorts continued to do their thing today and added another 2+ million to the pile. I'm sure some smaller shorts exited though.

Going to be pretty funny when people cash out and put some back into GME for next week's expected craziness. Last I saw,  shorts had lost over $2 billion on AMC in the past 5 days of trading. 

Shorts like pain? 

Why is next week anticipated to be especially crazy for GME ? 
The chart looks to be setting up for a breakout 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s decent. Def better than Rockport. They prob average like 6-8” more snow but the retention is definitely better. The CF can get very close to the shore up there. Like literally 5 miles can often make a big difference whereas down on Cape Ann you have to get at least 10-15 miles west. 

So some of it depends exactly where you end up. If you are like 4-5 miles inland it would prob be noticeably snowier the right on the shore, but even right on the shore up there will be better than where you are now. 

46 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah sometimes a decent difference from near downtown Newburyport to 95. I know in the 2008 ice storm near the shore had nothing vs destruction a few miles west. 

Thanks. Not sure what climo is here in Rockport. The past two winters I received 19.5” and 29” respectively. It’s been a mini screw zone. I bet the average is mid 40s?

Just signed P&S for a Salisbury property...closing in late Aug or Sept and will be about 3.5 miles from the coast as the crow flies.  And a about a 3 minute drive from the Route 1 bridge connecting Salisbury and Newburyport over the Merrimack. 

Now watch Rockport get smoked next winter, while Salisbury sniffs cirrus. 

I didn’t realize BBBY and BB meme stocks were also up 62% and 32% today 

Just to get a idea how much Ludicrous $ could be made when you buy a option BEFORE the big price moves during low volatility (for that stock) ...BBBY call options with a 30 dollar strike price (expiring Friday ) would have cost you 26$ yesterday (the call expires in the money if BBBY price closes Friday above 30) after its move today  that call option that cost you 26$ (yesterday ) is worth 1485$ today 

14 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Thanks. Not sure what climo is here in Rockport. The past two winters I received 19.5” and 29” respectively. It’s been a mini screw zone. I bet the average is mid 40s?

Just signed P&S for a Salisbury property...closing in late Aug or Sept and will be about 3.5 miles from the coast as the crow flies.  And a about a 3 minute drive from the Route 1 bridge connecting Salisbury and Newburyport over the Merrimack. 

Now watch Rockport get smoked next winter, while Salisbury sniffs cirrus. 

It’s a good spot for tstms too. That area is a good all around weather zone. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, radarman said:

Eh, since it's all hypothetical we can either choose to project our lousy qualities onto them, or choose not to.  Maybe they'll just be stoked to hit up Disney.

LOL, well it's possible, but they don't need to be outright malicious to accidentally murder us all and destroy our solar system. The amount of power and time that would be required for interstellar travel as we understand it today means any aliens coming here would be from an immensely old and powerful civilization. They may also simply exist in some form of 4D space and actually not even realize we are here. Like a person looking at a 2D picture on a sheet of paper before dropping it in the shredder.

I don't think it would be like the movie Coneheads

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL, well it's possible, but they don't need to be outright malicious to accidentally murder us all and destroy our solar system. The amount of power and time that would be required for interstellar travel as we understand it today means any aliens coming here would be from an immensely old and powerful civilization. They may also simply exist in some form of 4D space and actually not even realize we are here. Like a person looking at a 2D picture on a sheet of paper before dropping it in the shredder.

If I'm wrong I may not have to wear egg on my face very long... But if I'm right I can tell em hey I knew you guys were cool 

• Like 1

This UFO talk lately is sorta interesting  to me 

I have no idea what’s going on but financially speaking ...After Most countries spent upteen trillions in deficit spending last year to boost GDP 6%, it’s gonna be hard to cut back from that tremendous amount of spending without seeing a large decrease in GDP (Recession)  next few years (after we are done reopening and all the stimulus checks and child tax credits are spent )

what if a existential threat gained popularity so that world government could justify the continued spending but on sort of space military Defense  ...Deemed necessary (To possibly protect ourselves if need be ) errr and to give political capital to G7 countries to spend ridiculously in unison to keep from falling in recession .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

what if a existential threat gained popularity so that world government could justify the continued spending but on sort of space military Defense  ...Deemed necessary (To possibly protect ourselves if need be ) errr and to give political capital to G7 counties to spend ridiculously in unison to keep from falling in recession .

I don't think this is an entirely far fetched scenario.  I mean in this case does Occum's razor argue for the financially motivated global conspiracy or the aliens that only show up on 1970s era surveillance cameras?

• Like 1

Most shorted stocks rallying like crazy ...just because 

This morning ..in early trading

BB (Blackberry) up 30% this morning 

GTT up 30%

AMC up 14%

WKHS up 28% 

It’s easy to move things in premarket where there is less volume but damn fireworks will continue 

FED Easiest  money policy Ever for this long fuels 2 things on Wall Street ...massive fraud (shady practices which bend the rules for big rewards as big money institutions bend them in normal times with a SEC that has been sound asleep for over a decade and now the opportunities are just crazy when using leverage  ) AND speculation that bubbles up all over in niche asset classes that can be moved more  .

Sometimes they are separate sometimes they overlap  And sometimes (Now)  the speculation is aimed to cause Devestating losses on  leveraged hedge funds that are heavily short . The short sellers will put up a good fight for days and so last time ..only so many meme stocks usually Can pop for more than 2-3 days . We shall see 

41 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Most shorted stocks rallying like crazy ...just because 

This morning ..in early trading

BB (Blackberry) up 30% this morning 

GTT up 30%

AMC up 14%

WKHS up 28% 

It’s easy to move things in premarket where there is less volume but damn fireworks will continue 

FED Easiest  money policy Ever for this long fuels 2 things on Wall Street ...massive fraud (shady practices which bend the rules for big rewards as big money institutions bend them in normal times with a SEC that has been sound asleep for over a decade and now the opportunities are just crazy when using leverage  ) AND speculation that bubbles up all over in niche asset classes that can be moved more  .

Sometimes they are separate sometimes they overlap  And sometimes (Now)  the speculation is aimed to cause Devestating losses on  leveraged hedge funds that are heavily short . The short sellers will put up a good fight for days and so last time ..only so many meme stocks usually Can pop for more than 2-3 days . We shall see 

F all of these hedge funds who naked short stocks artificially driving retail share prices down.  

7 hours ago, mreaves said:

Nobody in this sub forum cares but after coming back from a 3-1 series deficit to beat Toronto, the Habs took game 1 against the Jets tonight. Let’s go Habs!

Man did Evans pay the ultimate price for that empty net goal.  Take a hit to make a play.   Unfortunately he might be done.   To me, it was a clean hit, didnt break any rules.  But it broke the code.   Either way, they suspend of not, Scheifle will probably have to answer the bell from Weber

33 minutes ago, amarshall said:

F all of these hedge funds who naked short stocks artificially driving retail share prices down.  

stock futures are down as maybe short hedgies may be bleeding and need to sell any decent stock they hold to raise capital....or the indexes will bounce soon but futures are down almost half a percent  in last half hour...which is not that big of a deal... but should be watched as a further fall could help snuff out this speculation and help the short attack. There doesn't appear to be any news related to the indexes selling off right now other than the meme stock craze.

14 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

stock futures are down as maybe short hedgies may be bleeding and need to sell any decent stock they hold to raise capital....or the indexes will bounce soon but futures are down almost half a percent  in last half hour...which is not that big of a deal... but should be watched as a further fall could help snuff out this speculation and help the short attack. There doesn't appear to be any news related to the indexes selling off right now other than the meme stock craze.

Will Robinhood break again today?

24 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

“No news”

Cmon. This is the most important bearish event for US equities since March 2020.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/fed-to-sell-corporate-bond-holdings-purchased-during-pandemic-2021-06-02

47 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

“No news”

Cmon. This is the most important bearish event for US equities since March 2020.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/fed-to-sell-corporate-bond-holdings-purchased-during-pandemic-2021-06-02

Ah yes- the most important bearish event since the pandemic and major indexes are down *checks notes* less than 1%.  I know you guys have a disaster fetish but this is beyond parody.

To finish my Bingo card all I need is a quote tweet from ‘northmantrader’ or whoever. C’mon guys.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

“No news”

Your clueless. If you responded how bout this i would give u a different answer. 

That was announced yesterday and post market futures didn't budge at all ..in fact they were up. The fall began this am around 6 am. 

This isn't from some little used fund approved for hundreds of billions of dollars that barely bought a fraction of that. The under used program is not a big deal.  The little used program held 13 Billion . 

Apple does that amount in monthly buybacks. 

If this was announced in tandem with scaling back the monthly 40 billion and 80 billion Mortgage backed securities and Treasury (respectively) then you would have something. 

The biggest light shined yesterday was the fed's beige book details revealed and highlighted inflation concerns are stemming from multiple broken supply chains all over the dayum place resulting from the pandemic shutdown.

17 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

To finish my Bingo card all I need is a quote tweet from ‘northmantrader’ or whoever. C’mon guys.

You think everything is a disaster tweet .  In fact you don't seem to be able to differentiate a guy tweeting about market valuation issues that could lead to a 5-10 pullback for the sake of day traders looking at entry level possibilities, you should get on the phone with your Insider industry guys to have them de-code the tweets for you.

19 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

You think everything is a disaster tweet .  In fact you don't seem to be able to differentiate a guy tweeting about market valuation issues that could lead to a 5-10 pullback for the sake of day traders looking at entry level possibilities, you should get on the phone with your Insider industry guys to have them de-code the tweets for you.

Ok fair- then where's my 5-10% pullback? You called for a pullback in February/March- Major Indexes weathered the rising rate 'storm' just fine.  I'm not picking a fight w/ you...it was more jbenedet's post that set me off. Which you nailed a response to so...? No beef here.

The reason I brought your guy up...he tweeted recently and it made the rounds in my circle. He was talking about VIX term structure- and viewed it as a conspiracy that it fell on Fridays and rose on Mondays.  Which- is actually a feature not a bug and implicit in the math behind it.  But that wouldn't generate clicks from the people that follow that him.  Either way I got quite the laugh, and he laid bare his charlatan ways for all to see.

20 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

Ok fair- then where's my 5-10% pullback? You called for a pullback in February/March- Major Indexes weathered the rising rate 'storm' just fine.  I'm not picking a fight w/ you...it was more jbenedet's post that set me off. Which you nailed a response to so...? No beef here.

The reason I brought your guy up...he tweeted recently and it made the rounds in my circle. He was talking about VIX term structure- and viewed it as a conspiracy that it fell on Fridays and rose on Mondays.  Which- is actually a feature not a bug and implicit in the math behind it.  But that wouldn't generate clicks from the people that follow that him.  Either way I got quite the laugh, and he laid bare his charlatan ways for all to see.

ok fair enough

i did call for that in February /March .  The damage as you may know was very focused on Growth stocks that had tremendous valuations and those names got a major haircut ...some would call it a crash ...as many of those names fell 30-50% ...the losses were concentrated in sectors that had ran "too hot" i.e Solar (ENPH , CSIQ, Run.....EV makers (Nio/Xpev) and generally most of the amazing industry disrupters that Cathy wood owned (3D printing stocks as well) as they had run up like 400% by February and many were halved. I could go thru the names but i think you get the drift. 

I did believe all those losses would carry the SP to a solid 5% pull back and up to 10% but strong sector rotation into cyclicals kept the Dow gaining and the SP pretty solid (it did fall 4% from Mid February to March 5 intra day lows but that's nothing really) it bounced back very fast and didn't do much broad damage at all as sector rotation and heavy weightings in resilient FAANGS kept SP stair stepping higher after the early March Hiccup and the Dow and Transports have just been soaring. 

I know the VIX tweets you are talking about. I don't know much about VIX forecasting but i don't write this guy off easily, not as a very good chart and technical guy. He has tweeted a pattern of a  " Friday vix crush pattern"  (because it has happened for a couple months) and said ...I wouldn't be surprised if that changed because it was getting more predictable. Most people laugh that the VIX can't be charted to show a trade able prediction but i am hesitant to throw the baby out with the bath water because of some implied conspiracy talk , the fed is the most involved it has ever been in the markets ...at a time of supposed economic strong growth.  I'm not saying they are doing anything at all not disclosed but i don't see where he said there were....but i still wouldn't throw his charting out the window. He tends to hate the Fed's intervention and he trashes fed ( I think unfairly) for their involvement all the time...and i think he wants to see them pay but if you can put that aside he presents solid charts on things to look for that will validate or invalidate pullback opportunities...he isn't some doomsday bear....although his public (not trading) twitter  tweets could easily lead one to think that. 

13 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I just finished reading an old (1985) first-contact sci-fi novel, "Footfall" (Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle) and the book's aliens came from Centauri system - will say no more to avoid spoiling (though I doubt many would be interested in the book.)  However, if a civilization could harness unlimited power - like the sci-fi standard ramscoop gathering interstellar hydrogen to feed a fusion engine - the jump from there to our system might be done in 10 years or so.  A near-year of one-G acceleration would bring the spacecraft past 0.9C, then 5-10 years of free-fall with course changes, depending on how direct a course can be, then a year of one-G deceleration and hello to Sol system.  Just a few technological wrinkles to solve.  :lol:

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

I just finished reading an old (1985) first-contact sci-fi novel, "Footfall" (Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle) and the book's aliens came from Centauri system - will say no more to avoid spoiling (though I doubt many would be interested in the book.)  However, if a civilization could harness unlimited power - like the sci-fi standard ramscoop gathering interstellar hydrogen to feed a fusion engine - the jump from there to our system might be done in 10 years or so.  A near-year of one-G acceleration would bring the spacecraft past 0.9C, then 5-10 years of free-fall with course changes, depending on how direct a course can be, then a year of one-G deceleration and hello to Sol system.  Just a few technological wrinkles to solve.  :lol:

That's a great book.  I read it when it first came out.  Not as good as Ringworld, but fun