Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

27 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

yes, virtue is subjective.  unvaxxed people who aren't wearing masks in stores are also virtue signaling.  their virtue is "the gubmint" can't tell them what to do.  unfortunately we have to smell their halitosis while their virtue is signaled.  

I won't be wearing a mask in the store going forward because they are are annoying (esp in the heat) and I'm not increasing risk in any meaningful way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

yes, virtue is subjective.  unvaxxed people who aren't wearing masks in stores are also virtue signaling.  their virtue is "the gubmint" can't tell them what to do.  unfortunately we have to smell their halitosis while their virtue is signaled.  

if there's a sign on the door saying the vaccinated don't need a mask and I'm fully vaccinated why would I wear a mask?

• Like 1

So y'allz are pre-occupied with a moral aspect of mask vs none.

Relative to setting, my only concern is keeping the peace in a social circuitry that runs too hot in recent eras already.  

I don't agree with masks. I paragraphed that above.

But I am willing to wear one to not be part of any triggers - those are two distinct motivations.  I don't have much of a conflict personality I suppose... 

I tell ya what ..if science could get around to proving C-19 risk has fallen beneath the mask wearing risk factors -that would settle this debate immediately.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mreaves said:

But you aren't unvaxxed

Unvaxxed aren't supposed to be maskless yet here.

But playing devil's advocate, there's very little risk catching it from unvaxxed either going forward. It was different even a month ago. But like 3/4ths of adults are vaxxed here. Basically, if you wanted one, you have been able to get one for a while now. A vaxxed person has almost nothing to fear being in a grocery store with an unvaxxed person.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

if there's a sign on the door saying the vaccinated don't need a mask and I'm fully vaccinated why would I wear a mask?

i don't think you read my post carefully.  I said if you're unvaxxed, and you knowingly don't wear a mask after you read the sign at the door, you are also virtue signaling.  

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

But playing devil's advocate, there's very little risk catching it from unvaxxed either going forward. It was different even a month ago. But like 3/4ths of adults are vaxxed here. Basically, if you wanted one, you have been able to get one for a while now. A vaxxed person has almost nothing to fear being in a grocery store with an unvaxxed person.

Same here.  I was just reacting to the op's statement that unvaxxed people who knowingly don't wear a mask are also signaling something, it's not virtue though.

Seeking advice:

Our son was driving to his internship this morning.  He got sideswiped into a guardrail    His (my) car is 12 years old.  170k miles on it but was still in good shape.  Probably totaled.  He was unhurt as far as we can tell

The other driver was driving a truck for a seafood company (not amarshall lol) and had a suspended license.   State trooper was not happy.  The other driver admitted it was his fault and was offering our son money (not that he had it) to make it go away.  Very sketchy

Do we just let the insurance co do it’s thing or do we hire an attorney?  

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Seeking advice:

Our son was driving to his internship this morning.  He got sideswiped into a guardrail    His (my) car is 12 years old.  170k miles on it but was still in good shape.  Probably totaled.  He was unhurt as far as we can tell

The other driver was driving a truck for a seafood company (not amarshall lol) and had a suspended license.   State trooper was not happy.  The other driver admitted it was his fault and was offering our son money (not that he had it) to make it go away.  Very sketchy

Insurance usually will deal with it. They'll go after the guy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Seeking advice:

Let the insurance company deal with it. Glad he is ok

• Like 2

yes, this is probably true, but i would argue that seasonality plays a big part here.  the northern latitudes (northern US and europe) had low covid prevalence last summer - and that's without vaccines.  in fact, i would willing to bet that the positivity rates were < 1% in the new england states last summer.  seychelles and maldives are two of the most vaccinated countries in the world, yet they are having their biggest outbreaks right now.  vaccines help prevent serious outcomes, which should be the main point, but it wouldn't surprise me if mask mandates come back locally or regionally in the winter as prevalence rises again.

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Same here.  I was just reacting to the op's statement that unvaxxed people who knowingly don't wear a mask are also signaling something, it's not virtue though.

If they've had covid already, they're signalling that they believe in the preponderance of evidence in peer reviewed medical journals showing their protection is as good or better than the vax... and yeah also the gubmint stuff that was mentioned

• Like 1

Masks are to protect the symptomatic from spreading it to unvaxed. Being vaxed I don't give a crap who wears a mask and who doesn't.  I have not worn one in a month.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

yes, this is probably true, but i would argue that seasonality plays a big part here.  the northern latitudes (northern US and europe) had low covid prevalence last summer - and that's without vaccines.  in fact, i would willing to bet that the positivity rates were < 1% in the new england states last summer.  seychelles and maldives are two of the most vaccinated countries in the world, yet they are having their biggest outbreaks right now.  vaccines help prevent serious outcomes, which should be the main point, but it wouldn't surprise me if mask mandates come back locally or regionally in the winter as prevalence rises again.

Its ovah

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL yeah for sure. COVID hysteria died out very quickly out in the real world. I'm sure on Twitter it's still doomsday talk, but the average Americans I interact with have all moved on. Masks off, no more vaccine talk, no more talk about case counts.

Probably just Have to wait for a massive cyber security attack As the next big thing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Seeking advice:

Yup - with Will on that one. The insurance company will supply that situation with all the legal they need, to recoup the money they have to give to you -

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Anyone familiar with winter climo for Newburyport/Salisbury?  I was looking through the storm archives and it looks like a fairly snowy coastal climo region. 

It’s decent. Def better than Rockport. They prob average like 6-8” more snow but the retention is definitely better. The CF can get very close to the shore up there. Like literally 5 miles can often make a big difference whereas down on Cape Ann you have to get at least 10-15 miles west. 

So some of it depends exactly where you end up. If you are like 4-5 miles inland it would prob be noticeably snowier the right on the shore, but even right on the shore up there will be better than where you are now. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, radarman said:

at least we can all agree that grainy UFO videos are boring af

These aliens are the ultimate cockteases. Just land and demand to see our "leaders" (LOL) already.

The truth is, if aliens ever showed up at best it would be like the Spanish landing in America and encountering the Mesoamerican tribes. It could also be like us encountering ants on the sidewalk. The aliens may be so advanced and different from us physiologically that they may never even perceive we are here and sentient. They would just pop into the system and start cracking the planets to harvest the resources before moving on. Like a human bulldozer digging up the sidewalk not even noticing the ant hill in the cracked cement.

3 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

It's like a surging tsunami right now. I'd be shocked if it doesn't cross $100 soon. Short squeeze in play. 

Only a gamma squeeze today. I jumped in early last week after looking at the options chain. Shorts continued to do their thing today and added another 2+ million to the pile. I'm sure some smaller shorts exited though.

Going to be pretty funny when people cash out and put some back into GME for next week's expected craziness. Last I saw,  shorts had lost over $2 billion on AMC in the past 5 days of trading. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

These aliens are the ultimate cockteases. Just land and demand to see our "leaders" (LOL) already.

The truth is, if aliens ever showed up at best it would be like the Spanish landing in America and encountering the Mesoamerican tribes. It could also be like us encountering ants on the sidewalk. The aliens may be so advanced and different from us physiologically that they may never even perceive we are here and sentient. They would just pop into the system and start cracking the planets to harvest the resources before moving on. Like a human bulldozer digging up the sidewalk not even noticing the ant hill in the cracked cement.

Eh, since it's all hypothetical we can either choose to project our lousy qualities onto them, or choose not to.  Maybe they'll just be stoked to hit up Disney.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Seeking advice:

Let the insurance company do it’s thing for now. Also call your company as well and let them know what’s going on. Your insurance company has lawyers that work for them, and in turn you. Since there was no injury and only property damage, it’s easier to deal with. But that said, keep your options a open before you sign off on anything. Dont be in a hurry to settle. Under no circumstances settle with the driver. 

(My step dad is a retired attorney and my mother is a retired superior court judge I e had this stuff drillled in my head since I was a kid and I’ve dealt with insurance companies more then I care )

• Like 1