Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yikes.  Healthy fall in Tuckermans over the weekend.  Local medical helos like DART won’t fly in low clouds but they got the Coast Guard out of Weymouth, Mass to respond with a bird to transport critical patient to Portland’s level 1 trauma center. 

https://mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/sliding-fall-tuckerman-ravine-2/

7755A977-8B5B-46A4-989C-4D0BA91D9229.jpeg.5aed521b2ae31ce6e164c9a3efe2e755.jpeg

EEB8FC9A-62C3-4EE9-BFB6-3567F344EFBF.thumb.jpeg.fd65287e7861b2259fa6ade7d220a328.jpeg

that doesn't look like good skiable snow.

43 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

If you walk into a joint, and obvious social cues flag needing to conform, if not ease in by 'virtue signaling,' why get into a row over it?   Just don the f'n thing.  

Fook that. If the business doesn't require it, and  I'm fully vaxed. I'm not in the business to make someone "feel good".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You just keep your clean, mask folded in a quick access pocket. If you walk into a joint, and obvious social cues flag needing to conform, if not ease in by 'virtue signaling,' why get into a row over it?  

Clean hands - I need to rant, cuz I see this everywhere. Clean that disgusting black scunge out from under your fingernails?

I mean, these are folks washing their hands, yet there's black lines under their thumbnails.   

Agree fully with the top paragraph - we always have quick access to a mask just in case.  Why cause unnecessary problems?  The place where we bought plants Saturday had signs requesting masks; 90%+ complied and the many staff appeared to ignore those who didn't.  We then went to the Maine Cabin Masters store half a mile away and didn't see a single mask, nor any signs addressing their use.

As far as hand washing, I give auto mechanics and the like some wiggle room.  Even with extended washing plus digging goop from under the nails with the tip of a screwdriver or something, the fingers don't look totally clean.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Fook that. If the business doesn't require it, and  I'm fully vaxed. I'm not in the business to make someone "feel good".

To each his own... ?  I tend to evade confrontation as much as possible  -then get pissed off and angry five days later and swear at the wall in the shower - LOL

anyway, if something really important is on the line, I'll swell chest and stare down the assailing force - however, beyong our petty contrivances of indispensable dignity in reality most of us living, that is seldom necessary - just imho. 

'sides, I think we're talking about about the same thing - in part - anyway.  I more than less had, 'whatever the establishment wants' in mind.  

However, if I walk in...and the establishment has an 'up to the discretion of the person' policy in place, and everyone is wearing one, I'll probably do so just because I'm socially aware; because it is not hurting me to conform and be the bigger man for predicting how not to incense the 'asshole rube' ...

With intelligence comes responsibility  - if one is smart enough to detect triggers, it their responsibility not to flick them on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Agree fully with the top paragraph - we always have quick access to a mask just in case.  Why cause unnecessary problems?  The place where we bought plants Saturday had signs requesting masks; 90%+ complied and the many staff appeared to ignore those who didn't.  We then went to the Maine Cabin Masters store half a mile away and didn't see a single mask, nor any signs addressing their use.

As far as hand washing, I give auto mechanics and the like some wiggle room.  Even with extended washing plus digging goop from under the nails with the tip of a screwdriver or something, the fingers don't look totally clean.

Yeah I was more after droll humor with hand stuff - ...  I'm sure there are circumstantial exceptions based on nuanced timing.  Guy gets out of the shop, has 22 minute to drive 30 minutes or his kid's standing in the rain with no one left at the soccer field... - duh.

But I'm aiming the rant specifically about adults with bad hygiene -

• Like 1

Not yet.   The GEFs mean is about par with the previous cycle. 

That IS the first model run where that particular blend was even, not more, than its previous - I mean it's gotta cap soon.  We are not ultimately going to balloon heights to a step off altitude with the moon's orbit - lol...

It'll probably max and bounce around run-to-run... 

Hotter than normalcy is still the higher confidence status for next week. The extremeness of it and whether there is qualitative 'big heat' embedded within that general ~ week of positive departures is still unknown.

33 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Just checked into Planet fitness Burlington,Ma . Has been 100-% mask wearing since the day it reopened till last week.

Walk in today , there are a solid 40-50 people through out this moderate sized gym and I see 2-3 masks. Surreal

been going to our PF early morning and there's maybe 15-20 people in there. Went yesterday, late morning and the place was packed like pre-covid crowded. A couple masks, but otherwise none. Felt comfortable but didn't stay long since getting onto some equip was too long of a wait.

I changed my FB cover photo to a GOES image of Isaias since it's the first day of the hurricane season...and people thought there was a hurricane rolling up the coast, despite the date saying August 2020 and the caption saying Tropical Storm Isaias. I had to put out a post saying it was a photo from 2020. 

I don't usually laugh at these things but :lol: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, amarshall said:

After 4" of rain, complete and utter pollen devastation resumes.  Washed all of the decks this weekend.  Just went out to my car and it's completely yellow. Week 3 of suffering.   Never remember more than a week of this. 

Seems you were a week behind me the rain cleaned it out and car is fine although I did notice pine pollen. Do you have lots of pines?

4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

To each his own... ?  I tend to evade confrontation as much as possible  -then get pissed off and angry five days later and swear at the wall in the shower - LOL

anyway, if something really important is on the line, I'll swell chest and stare down the assailing force - however, beyong our petty contrivances of indispensable dignity in reality most of us living, that is seldom necessary - just imho. 

'sides, I think we're talking about about the same thing - in part - anyway.  I more than less had, 'whatever the establishment wants' in mind.  

However, if I walk in...and the establishment has an 'up to the discretion of the person' policy in place, and everyone is wearing one, I'll probably do so just because I'm socially aware; because it is not hurting me to conform and be the bigger man for predicting how not to incense the 'asshole rube' ...

With intelligence comes responsibility  - if one is smart enough to detect triggers, it their responsibility not to flick them on.

Again, I really don’t give a rats ass what triggers who. I have bever been one to care what people think. It’s not my responsibility in life to make sure strangers are comfortable.
So this isn’t “about the science” anymore. If it ever really was. 
More power to you. But I’m done with this nonsense. 

• Weenie 1

22 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

that doesn't look like good skiable snow.

It's not -

There's a stenchy sort of image mystique in saying 'I was up skiing Tuckermen's

15 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Again, I really don’t give a rats ass what triggers who. I have bever been one to care what people think. It’s not my responsibility in life to make sure strangers are comfortable.
So this isn’t “about the science” anymore. If it ever really was. 
More power to you. But I’m done with this nonsense. 

It's not absolute friend.

- "probably conform" is another way of just saying "tend" to do so. It's an assessment, done at time of foot-in-the-door, particularly in situations when conforming isn't really costing anything

I don't think that processing is happening when one shows up to a setting thinking it's okay to saunter their way in with no intent to evaluated what is/was happening before they arrived.  That's all.  We are talking almost about common mores and behavior decency at that point.  Gentile? 

And I think your missing the point on the virtue of not triggering others - maybe you just don't see that value. That's okay - we'll let that go.

I will add IMHO the world is way loaded with triggers and stimulus - WOKE this and 'cancel culture' are all recreational outrage, etc, that go too far. Obviously racism and prejudice are bad - but these cultural modes won't work frankly.  We have to educate, but not like showing people how to derive the Quadratic Formula, but to that kind of modality will come from ala mode spanning generations. That's what fixes that stuff -

But that's another rabbit hole. We need more patience and gentility. Less stick of one's personal doctrine space.  No one is that important and part of the decay of civility is actually defined by intolerance.

I like William Shatner's recent aphorism .. something like, 'Take it easy - because in the end, none of this matters'

25 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's not -

There's a stenchy sort of image mystique in saying 'I was up skiing Tuckermen's

It's not absolute friend.

- "probably conform" is another way of just saying "tend" to do so. It's an assessment, done at time of foot-in-the-door, particularly in situations when conforming isn't really costing anything

I don't think that processing is happening when one shows up to a setting thinking it's okay to saunter their way in with no intent to evaluated what is/was happening before they arrived.  That's all.  We are talking almost about common mores and behavior decency at that point.  Gentile? 

And I think your missing the point on the virtue of not triggering others - maybe you just don't see that value. That's okay - we'll let that go.

I will add IMHO the world is way loaded with triggers and stimulus - WOKE this and 'cancel culture' are all recreational outrage, etc, that go too far. Obviously racism and prejudice are bad - but these cultural modes won't work frankly.  We have to educate, but not like showing people how to derive the Quadratic Formula, but to that kind of modality will come from ala mode spanning generations. That's what fixes that stuff -

But that's another rabbit hole. We need more patience and gentility. Less stick of one's personal doctrine space.  No one is that important and part of the decay of civility is actually defined by intolerance.

I like William Shatner's recent aphorism .. something like, 'Take it easy - because in the end, none of this matters'

many of these anti-mask ragers are actually triggered that others are voluntarily wearing masks, without mandates.  when the cdc came out with their new guidelines, these anti-mask ragers really thought people would treat this as the second coming of V-E day, and everyone would throw their masks in the air and start making out.  Instead, all we saw was some reduction in mask wearing (especially in gyms) but otherwise it hasn't been a big deal.  so now they obsessively go out and estimate the proportion of maskers vs. non-maskers at stores, gyms, etc. and then report their findings on a weather message board.  the next step is they will make it a part of their culture war, saying that we are becoming a mask culture like Japan, or that we're becoming "weak", or some other nonsense.  it's all very predictable.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 3

Some people are very emotional about masking . Pretty much happens with any topic that is talked about and magnified to the n’th degree.

Just reporting changes I see as order was just lifted Saturday . I just want the choice to go maskless and I’m happy to finally have it. Not looking “down” or strangely at folks that have it on still . Don’t really care As long as it’s optional.

18 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

many of these anti-mask ragers are actually triggered that others are voluntarily wearing masks, without mandates.  when the cdc came out with their new guidelines, these anti-mask ragers really thought people would treat this as the second coming of V-E day, and everyone would throw their masks in the air and start making out.  Instead, all we saw was some reduction in mask wearing (especially in gyms) but otherwise it hasn't been a big deal.  so now they obsessively go out and estimate the proportion of maskers vs. non-maskers at stores, gyms, etc. and then report their findings on a weather message board.  the next step is they will make it a part of their culture war, saying that we are becoming a mask culture like Japan, or that we're becoming "weak", or some other nonsense.  it's all very predictable.

You might have to interact with humans in person again, man. Let me know if you need a refresher course in social dynamics. Reach out for help. 

59 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

Mm, yeah perhaps.  

You know, virtue signaling is a risk - because virtue is subjective?  To those outside a given "ethical interpretation of propriety," that VS cozy euphemism becomes more like 'low-key gaslighting' - you know,  guilt trip? - whether the mask wearer intends for that or not.

I'm willing to bet,  when the over-shadowing cloud of Pandemic awareness et al, eventually clears, that will brighten the dialogue about any ethical charge/responsibility, and then people will just view the mask wearer as an idiot.  Fine - let 'em. That will back-draft a social stigma; and the wearers will give them up in some interminable amount of time from feeling that pressure.

For the record, I think masks as silly.  They were scientifically dubious all along as a significant deterrent for the spread of the virus - yes some, but enough to justify for what was more likely unhealthy for users?  Mmm..  They are in and of themselves, unsanitary to the user, difficult to keep clean; and also adding another point of tedious hygiene requirement/stress. Frankly, folks either know this consciously, or just damn sense "something's not right" in wearing them all the time. To mention as a part of micro-management head-game.

Yup, all this shit was actually prevalent and empirical, enough to objectively question risk, vs slowing a pathogen, in the sense of cost analysis there. It wouldn't shock me, in 10 years, some real science analysis of this practice may prove it detrimentally out-weighed the positive guesses on returns - how many times has time and history proven something like that?  jesus.   Lol, it's not hard to imagine some kind of/whatever mentality or predisposition about the damn things.  If they do, the mere appearance of them as a 'virtue signal' touches that nerve - particularly if the virtue being signaled is some aspect they do not agree with - to put it nicely.

I guess it's an interesting sociological experiment - not to toot my horn but I said that 15 months ago: this whole response culture to this Pandemic, we do because we can?  Which by "virtue" of that course, being the first time in history the entire World unified around a common objective goal that didn't prospect unilateral war, is thus experimental.  It's kind of a techno-sociological experiment.  Perhaps an evolutionary necessity.  Fascinating.

1 hour ago, fujiwara79 said:

They can wear a mask forever for all I care. 
But if I dont have to wear one, I’m not. It’s that simple. If you want to wear yours, do it. 

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There is just as much pollen now as there was prior to the 3 days of hell storm. It’s Oak pollen. I wipe the truck down everyday and there’s no difference 

Getting a lot of pollen up here too now.  Car has thing green film in the morning.

8 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

The real burning question is, did Ainge actually retire or did Wyk fire his ass.

definitely forced out - but they would never admit it. 

I kinda like Brad S. being promoted to Prez of BBall operations - as his effectiveness as a coach has dwindled. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

You might have to interact with humans in person again, man. Let me know if you need a refresher course in social dynamics. Reach out for help. 

of course, I'll be happy to take a social dynamics course from a dude who lives in Randolph, NH and has 27000 posts on a message board.  I'm sure I'll learn wonders.  LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Weenie 3

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You know, virtue signaling is a risk - because virtue is subjective?  To those outside a given "ethical interpretation of propriety," that VS cozy euphemism becomes more like 'low-key gaslighting' - you know,  guilt trip? - whether the mask wearer intends for that or not.

yes, virtue is subjective.  unvaxxed people who aren't wearing masks in stores are also virtue signaling.  their virtue is "the gubmint" can't tell them what to do.  unfortunately we have to smell their halitosis while their virtue is signaled.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2