Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June, 2021 Discussion

Typhoon Tip

7 hours ago, Yankees29 said:

July '93 - visited my inlaws in Palm Desert. 123 in the shade, 3%.  Our AA flight out was cancelled because (as I was told) there wouldn't be enough lift for takeoff (not sure how valid that explanation was) Drove to a mall and dads were reacting the way I've seen during bad rainstorms - i.e. running for the car while wife and kids waited in the mall.

I was in Vegas in the 90s when they had their first rain in 6 months. Roads were literally skating rinks from the oils. Accidents everywhere.  The sidewalks were the same I witnessed many slip and falls. The next day was 104 and it felt like walking directly into an oven. 

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Could be some boomers if we get some sun today. 

The situation changes a bit after sunrise. Our region will be
contending with a combination mid level shortwave and longwave
trough. The main impact of this will be to steepen mid level
lapse rates. Should we get some breaks of sunshine, there is
more potential for generating enough low level instability to
match up with an occluding front to generate stronger
thunderstorms. At this time, thinking CAPE values max out
between 750-1000 J/kg. With effective shear about 30-40 kt,
there is a low risk for strong to severe thunderstorms this
afternoon, mainly across the eastern half of southern New
England.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Lol, PHX NAM FOUS:

12000082315 -3402 032806 95  43  34  25

'43' is ~ 20 mb above their surface pressure coordinate, so doesn't even reflect the 2-meter temp, which typically requires adding 3 to as many as 6 C if conditions for heating are superb - which I think this might qualify. Just a guess.  But, 48 C is a buck-19 and decimals

I remember the summer of 1999, just before the 4th weekend .. the FOUS numbers over Logan were 34  26  and 19 the day before; but the day itself busted below this potential due to clouds being more prolific.  Those were the warmest total profile I'd ever seen at Boston in prog.   (26+19)/2 ~ 850mb and it was 22.5 C but I think it "only" made 96 if memory serves. One of those nights was 82 for the low though.

I just think we have not seen the upper bounds of what can be delivered up here - kinda like we've benefited from so many offsets, but one of these times, all of them will be 'looking the other way' so to speak and we'll get a full sun light WNW trajectory, pure blue sky through a 35/28/20 and those 1960, '75 and 2012's will be looking up.  Particularly in CC now proving/papered to be "synergistically" enhancing heat wave scalar maxes - almost like rogue wave theory ..

It seems we are yet to get one of those particular pain peeler shuttle re-entry heat blasts. France and Australia and parts of Russia have. 

• Like 1