Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June, 2021 Discussion

Typhoon Tip

9 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Renting a house along the Ammonoosuc River with the family. Certainly, not an entire week dedicated to fishing, but hoping for a few solid periods where I plan to walk back and forth looking for a few fish.

Nice places along the Ammo though the scenery and river are even more picturesque on the Wild Ammonoosuc, though the fish will be bigger and more varied on the Ammo, especially if there's no serious rain.  The smaller river drains very little wetland and no ponds beyond what a really ambitious beaver make, so it's apt to be a rock run with bits of water showing.  (My late parents retired in 1981 to Woodsville, NH, a bit downriver from where the Ammo enters the CT, hence my fleeting familiarity with the region.  Nice drive along the Wild Ammo to Kinsman Notch and Lost River Park if you want some variety.)

20 minutes ago, mreaves said:

A couple of years ago I was in Death Valley when it was 119°. Near the National Park visitor center is a golf course. Nobody was on the course lol. 

Really good discussion by NWS Las Vegas. They aren’t messing around and are sounding the alarms. Could very well be one of the worst weather events of the year regarding fatalities and human impact unfortunately. Kudos to tip he was sniffing this event out a week ago in a post. 

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=VEF&issuedby=VEF&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

“Regarding impacts: The last time we experienced heat of this magnitude and duration was late June & early July 2013. During that event, southern Nevada saw nearly 30 fatalities and over 350 heat related injuries as well as temporary power outages. Some of those impacts were surely increased due to the 4th of July holiday period but nearly 2/3 of those fatalities occured while indoors...providing a clue that it isn`t just increased outdoor recreation that led to those impacts.

There are more considerations that go into evaluating heat risk including vulnerability but given the magnitude of this expected heat wave, most if not all of the population will be at high or very high risk. The lengthy breakdown of the heat concerns in this discussion are specifically intended to contextualize this expected heat event vs others and to bust the myth that this is typical for the Desert Southwest. It isn`t.”

26 minutes ago, mreaves said:

A couple of years ago I was in Death Valley when it was 119°. Near the National Park visitor center is a golf course. Nobody was on the course lol. 

It’s gotta be like skiing in -30 to -60 wind chills… just not worth it and very few out-of-doors.