Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June, 2021 Discussion

Typhoon Tip

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Also, while we acknowledge BOS probably reads too high keep in mind the readings from 1925 may well be naturally higher than today’s (since 1935) location which is less representative of the majority of Boston metro.

Ditto that for ORH...they were well below 1kft back then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

Yeah there’s a bad positive feedback loop up there in the arctic with the thinning sea ice volume and loss of permafrost. We’re getting cutoff from those cP airmasses more and more in the deep summer and even when we get them it’s generally meh. 

What was the last legit COC summer we had? 2000?

2009 was brutally chilly but it wasn't because of COC, it was super wet in June/July. 2000 I recall lots of legit chilly/dry nights. 2007 was pretty COC too, though not like 2000 that I remember. But IIRC CON had 30s a few times that summer in June and August.

16 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Maybe because it’s not summer?  I feel like wx wise I have the best of worlds.  Warm here in Chicago and finally returning to Boston week of 6/28 which should be legit high summer.

meh I hate May June and July.. At least in August you can look forward to it possibly getting cooler at the end of the month..  

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

met summer is June 1. We BN next week 

I feel like in New England, you have to push the warm seasons back a couple weeks from the "meteorological XXXX" distinction. We all know spring isn't really 3/1 in here either. Prob more like late March. Ditto for summer....it's not uncommon to have cruddy/miserable stretches in early June but usually they are done by late month.

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I feel like in New England, you have to push the warm seasons back a couple weeks from the "meteorological XXXX" distinction. We all know spring isn't really 3/1 in here either. Prob more like late March. Ditto for summer....it's not uncommon to have cruddy/miserable stretches in early June but usually they are done by late month.

Said it for years push all Met seasons back to the 15th in SNE  for a truer picture 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

402 ft

Screenshot_20210610-132457_Chrome.jpg

Can't quite read that google doc....which ORH site is that? There's a good coop in northern ORH near Indian Lake that was around 600 feet which reported as the official site for years.

402 feet is really low....I wonder where that is. I think Lake Quinsigamond is the only place that is that low inside the city limits.

48 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Can't quite read that google doc....which ORH site is that? There's a good coop in northern ORH near Indian Lake that was around 600 feet which reported as the official site for years.

402 feet is really low....I wonder where that is. I think Lake Quinsigamond is the only place that is that low inside the city limits.

Says station is 3 miles north of the city on a ridge

Screenshot_20210610-143538_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Says station is 3 miles north of the city on a ridge

Screenshot_20210610-143538_Chrome.jpg

Ok that is definitely wrong on the elevation then. It sounds like it is claiming the same location as the coop site in northern ORH but I believe that elevation was like 610 or 620 feet.

Yeeeah, I'd probably side with the Euro on that. Granted it may and probably does have its own biases to iron out being beyond D4 but jesus H christ

That's a highly uncoupled total mass distribution, having a +2 ST ridge over the Great Basin, and a -4 SD trough carving down Ontario in the east.  

This is that egregiously reliable GFS' surplussing cold heights in troughs beyond D4.  It also cumulatively lowers the polar/Ferrel regions and dominates the hemispheric with almost inorganic looking wind velocities - certainly anachronistic to summer.  We are not in a comet impact recovery here - 

I tell you though, if that thing ever did pass over head under a June sun, there'd be cannon ball hail

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ok that is definitely wrong on the elevation then. It sounds like it is claiming the same location as the coop site in northern ORH but I believe that elevation was like 610 or 620 feet.

Yea Indian lake at 620 so what would the temp be at 1k if they were 94

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Is that in meters? ~1300ft?

edit…nm, it clearly states feet.