Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June, 2021 Discussion

Typhoon Tip

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I know.  I we miss 'em  :(

My met text group ..we're baffled. We go through this ever year, after year ... where in the f are nocturnal southern NH strobers? 

I miss the stares from my concerned neighbors wondering why some weirdo is hanging around outside alone in the middle of the night 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Storms starting to fire in NE PA

Going to be some heavy rainfall with what looks to be slow movers....we had a 5 minute downpour yesterday that dropped almost a tenth of an inch. Raindrops looked like they were the size of ping pong balls.

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Probably have to get above 850' elevation ( in general ) to miss this heat wave proper.

It's been "pedestrian" - in the sense that it hasn't been historic.  However, perhaps it achieves where no one has looked?

It occurred to me last evening - because I have life brimming with worthwhile reasons for even being alive ... - that I could not recall formally, a heat wave prior to June 21st on the front side of any solstice, in quite a lot of years.  In fact, I don't know when. 

I know 1976 April did, but I was hardly cognizant of much then, lol.  We've also had day or two 'spike' oddities in some recent Feb/Mar/Apr, probably associated with the obliteration of the 'normal' climate in lieu of a new one arriving ( f* you very much :)  )  but those were not associated with this sort of planetary wave construct and demonstrative stability/predictive detection.  We will have swelled and diminished, spanning what will likely be 5 days of convincing 90 to 94's when all is said and done.

The advent of it this early, also respecting its form and essence, may be something in and of its self.

76 April I experienced the worst ice cream headache of my life. After laying on the beach in 90 plus heat I thought it was a good idea to run and dive into a wave in Weekapaug Beach. Basically paralyzed me. Remember we were coming off the coldest winter in decades in 76. Stupid kid. But have to say the hottie I was with and the aftermath in the cabana was more memorable 

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Plus, I honestly think you may have kept working if a couple of things had gone a bit differently.

I had a goal in 2017 of working to 2019 cut short by a year. As much as I didn't think so at the time it was a blessing in disguise. Life is way too short, I count every day as a blessing. Some say they will be bored if they retire, I have found the opposite. Too many projects but so much time to do them. My volunteer hours with the rescue in the winter keeps me very busy as well. Just being free to do what I want when I want is a feeling of freedom I had lost since I was 15. Totally reinvigorated 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I miss the stares from my concerned neighbors wondering why some weirdo is hanging around outside alone in the middle of the night 

You ARE a Meteorologist, then !

lol -   if you had not earned this badge you described, you do not get to enter the exclusive Skull&Bones club-

Where I grew up in Acton, there was big parking lot expanse, 'bout 1/3 of the mile away from my neighborhood', which was tucked in a wooded region astride a single story plaza.  A bolt down my street and a short jaunt through the woods would spill me out into the parking lot whenever I the rapture of thunder would hug my soul - usually ... unexpectedly on a summer afternoon, and the neighbors, ha,  "Oop, there he goes."   :arrowhead: 

And - oh my god I'm admitting this ... - the office denizens of the one business, they were actually sort of as I gathered, thinking of me as their parking lot thunderstorm mascot I wonder.  They would sometimes gather in front of a picture window,  watching as I stood their defiantly head long under an arcus cloud looming. Wind, rain, sometimes hail ..walled in.   I think I once turned and bowed, disheveled but oddly pleased,  and was surprisingly well received - they clapped.  I did out grow that, but even to this day at middle aged, I am so educated by experience in the acumen of "cloud trapping", that I can tell you which crispy tower is worth the horizon in sun-glasses. 

Down my current street opens up somewhat for a fairly wide unobstructed views, so arms cross, you may find me standing there. But now it seems more refined and purposeful, so not as 'weird'        ( I'm hoping ) 

Don't worry - it takes a particular kind of appreciator of environmental/Natural events, one that should be equally appreciated that people like us exist.

By the way, when I was 11, I was grounded for 2-weeks because I blatantly ignored the baby-sitter and ran down the street on May 13 1980, when a F3 tornado carve a trench straight through the heart of Kalamazoo Michigan.   It was my first tornado chase :)    ...and it worked.   Granted, the tornado in larger part came to me, but, situated all of 5 standard city blocks from the center of town, separate by sparse single and two story sky-line, offered an exceptional view. 

I saw the cone, as CG it seemed to fire off around it like War Of The Worlds ...and the distant impression a "swarm of bees" under the cone rose is unison, like they were conjured by the apparatus as it dangled. It was moving exceptionally fast.

As I stood there transfixed, it was quite literally like the world and all sound faded to the tunnel scope as I focused upon the monster - was 11. I think my chin was actually drooped as a stared like a sociopath, eyes peering out from under brow line like the intimidating glare pierced by a feared prize fighter - I was never, ever, afraid of the thunder.   I dared the f'n thing. But alas, it was passing at right angle.

What grabbed by attention back was the crescendo of those jet airplanes;  our neighborhood, Dutton Street, was under the approach to Kalamazoo County Airport. I remember thinking, "...Oh, the air plane must be flying low to get away" But as I looked skyward in the direction of the swelling din, all I could see was a sky festooned with small debris - and just about the instant I connected what that was,  in pulsed what was like a P-wave off a nuclear bomb blast.  Those old Oaks and Maples were stripping leaves and sticks and pieces like used 70-foot Dandelion miasmas.  Yeah, this was enough to get me ducking and running for cover.  I waited it the rest of the cinema squating down next to a porch, but just as I turned my head down and covered my ears,  ....gone.   Wind was dead calm, sun was shining brilliantly.  Over.

I would later deduced just by associating learning with memories, that must have been a helluva an RFD.  I've seen video of these stripping shingles and trees, sometimes as much as a mile even S of the vortex.  They are real, ...really they are almost meta-mircoburst scaled down rushing winds...etc.

Anyway, over the years, I've had more people tell me that they admire the fact that something can appeal so importantly - it's probably more a testament to us being good people that we care about natural phenomenon as much as we do, and probably that we are so conscientious

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I know.  I we miss 'em  :(

My met text group ..we're baffled. We go through this ever year, after year ... where in the f are the nocturnal southern NH strobers? 

Even where I grew up in Brockton I distinctly remember in the early 00s overnight thunderstorms being a thing. Maybe it was single summer where the pattern allowed it, but I remember waking up at 2 am to a thunderstorm at least once a week it felt like.

One of those damn overnight t-storms fried my new Nintendo 64. We think a bolt struck either the house or the telephone out front because it struck so damn close that we were legit shaking our nerves were so on edge. Nintendo and house telephone never worked again.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Even where I grew up in Brockton I distinctly remember in the early 00s overnight thunderstorms being a thing. Maybe it was single summer where the pattern allowed it, but I remember waking up at 2 am to a thunderstorm at least once a week it felt like.

One of those damn overnight t-storms fried my new Nintendo 64. We think a bolt struck either the house or the telephone out front because it struck so damn close that we were legit shaking our nerves were so on edge. Nintendo and house telephone never worked again.

I think the late night  August supercell of 2000 which originated in eastern NY and then intensified around Springfield is one of my favorite storm memories as it tracked almost due East through the state.. Tornado warnings and golf ball sized hail from just south of Boston to northern RI. Doesn’t get better than that 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I think the late night  August supercell of 2000 which originated in eastern NY and then intensified around Springfield is one of my favorite storm memories as it tracked almost due East through the state.. Tornado warnings and golf ball sized hail from just south of Boston to northern RI. Doesn’t get better than that 

The 90s and early 00s were great for storms. I remember the Aug cell. I was in Marshfield. Thing was a beast. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Damn there’s a 50k ft top on that Windsor Locks cell per RadarScope.

I have narrow turrets with umbrella 'ghost' pileus here along Rt 2, with dark bases.  I don't see how this region doesn't cut loose.  Probable 2 cycle towers from seeing cell up this way, too

5 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Seems like today is going to be a day where you either get 0.00" or 2.50".

The cell over the Hadley Amherst area just won’t quit.  I waited for about 20 minutes then I just turned around and went back to Northampton where it’s blue skies.  Route 9 in Hadley was starting to flood out.

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The cell over the Hadley Amherst area just won’t quit.  I waited for about 20 minutes then I just turned around and went back to Northampton where it’s blue skies.  Route 9 in Hadley was starting to flood out.

Chrisrotary12 is half serious with that tongue-in-cheek. It really is a local flood threat - only difference is, we don't have slot canyons here to focus run-off toward the Scout camps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

76 April I experienced the worst ice cream headache of my life. After laying on the beach in 90 plus heat I thought it was a good idea to run and dive into a wave in Weekapaug Beach. Basically paralyzed me. Remember we were coming off the coldest winter in decades in 76. Stupid kid. But have to say the hottie I was with and the aftermath in the cabana was more memorable 

Don't want to go cold on a hottie.

• Haha 1