Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June, 2021 Discussion

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Probably have to get above 850' elevation ( in general ) to miss this heat wave proper.

It's been "pedestrian" - in the sense that it hasn't been historic.  However, perhaps it achieves where no one has looked?

It occurred to me last evening - because I have life brimming with worthwhile reasons for even being alive ... - that I could not recall formally, a heat wave prior to June 21st on the front side of any solstice, in quite a lot of years.  In fact, I don't know when. 

I know 1976 April did, but I was hardly cognizant of much then, lol.  We've also had day or two 'spike' oddities in some recent Feb/Mar/Apr, probably associated with the obliteration of the 'normal' climate in lieu of a new one arriving ( f* you very much :)  )  but those were not associated with this sort of planetary wave construct, that swells and diminishes spanning what will likely be 5 days of convincing 90 to 94's when all is said and done.

The advent of it this early, and respecting its form and essence, may be something in and of its self.

:lol:

35 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Wtf is up with that little area of rain not moving in E VT between LEB and Claremont? It’s been Q-S for hours…almost looks like some kind of standing wave or blocked flow. 

Nice catch.  Doesn't look like there's any veering in the wind profile as it looks like it's due west up to 500-700mb.  Does look like it's a standing wave downwind of the Green Mtn Spine just south of Killington.  I don't see anything that would indicate flow blocking.  Long way from the radar sites though too.

29 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

No anxiety that an MCC at 3am won’t alleviate 

Haven't seen one of those since decades - not zaggeratin'

There were some in the 1990s.  ...Gosh I wanna say there was one in the earlier 2000s, but it was up in Maine.  Reports were contiguous over-lapping in-cloud pulsations, with every third flash detonating church steeples. Winds and 4 hours of back building rain so heavy that it the rain shed measurable in mist. I remember it, but it was also sort of tied into a weak synoptic wave so sorts so was kind of a hybrid.

But in terms of a lazy hot preceding afternoon of 94/70 that fades into a 40 chirp per minute cricket torridity of sweat on the couch evening, then the NW horizon starts flickering as one of those rounds the ridge axis - correcting the temp back to 66/66 mist at dawn and all that.  I haven't seen that in recent memory.

Maybe this will be the year.  I frankly wondered if this heat wave may see an MCS or even Derecho type event, but we really haven't set up the deep layer wind fields favoring that. Usually, you get SW discerned 850 mb inflow jet that moves up and intersect the isohypses gradient from underneath, along the NW-N arc of the heat dome, which is a geostrophically unstable set up ... Then radiative cloud top cooling combines with the inflow jet to maintain the complex.  We are lacking the inflow in the lower trop.   We haven't really attained DPs in this heat wave until ..today really, probably as an indirect evidence of that lack.

Blame Texas.  That stupid 3 day whirl down there is a theta-e gobbler. It's also blocked the Sonoran/SW contribution of 850 special kinetic layer and over top EML plumes, too. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Cool down starts Friday with the return of the coc...and looks to hang around into late June. Summer will have to wait until July. 

June will finish above normal.  Heat returns in a sustained way post Father’s Day.   This is impressive for so early.

9 minutes ago, weathafella said:

June will finish above normal.  Heat returns in a sustained way post Father’s Day.   This is impressive for so early.

Agreed and underscored -

I was just musing over this an hour ago, that I don't - personally - recall registering this sort of pan-dimension convincing and proper heat wave before the Solstice; at least spanning the last two decades.

That's anecdotal.  But heat wave stats are probably not going to be very readily found without clicking - I think that NCEP does have 'significant events' type URL sources to the public - I haven't bothered to go take a look.

Either way, it is not very normal to get one clocked legit this soon. 

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Agreed and underscored -

I was just musing over this an hour ago, that I don't - personally - recall registering this sort of pan-dimension convincing and proper heat wave before the Solstice; at least spanning the last two decades.

That's anecdotal.  But heat wave stats are probably not going to be very readily found without clicking - I think that NCPE does have significant events' type URL sources to the public - I haven't bothered to go take a look.

Either way, it is not very normal to get one clocked legit this soon. 

Last summer?  Or was that more NNE?  The May heat had mid-90s at some sites and even all-time May temps at numerous sites up north. Even SLK popped 93F, hotter than anything this week.  Not sure SNE last year.

June last year was also ridiculous.  BTV had a stretch of 92, 91, 94, 94, 96, 96 and I think even at 1,000ft it was like 6 days of 90F.  But that was right at the solstice, this is about 10 days earlier than that.

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Last summer?  Or was that more NNE?  The May heat had mid-90s at some sites and even all-time May temps at numerous sites up north. Even SLK popped 93F, hotter than anything this week.  Not sure SNE last year.

June last year was also ridiculous.  BTV had a stretch of 92, 91, 94, 94, 96, 96 and I think even at 1,000ft it was like 6 days of 90F.  But that was right at the solstice, this is about 10 days earlier than that.

That's why I was careful to say 'pan-dimensional'  ... using a long word to say, 'everyone being involved' because it is less typing that I'm now having to do anyway

This was a N/A scaled, planetary wave event.  Last year didn't really have that sort of "GWO" functional footprint/ scaffolding about it.

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That's why I was careful to say 'pan-dimensional'  ... using a long word to say, 'everyone being involved' because it is less typing that I'm now having to do anyway

This was a N/A scaled, planetary wave event.  Last year didn't really have that sort of "GWO" functional footprint/ scaffolding about it.

Yeah makes sense.  No avoiding this one no matter where you are.

On an aside, I had forgotten what a rollercoaster ride that was late last May.  A max of 95F and then 4 days later a max of 54F at BTV.  

29 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Haven't seen one of those since decades - not zaggeratin'

There were some in the 1990s.  ...Gosh I wanna say there was one in the earlier 2000s, but it was up in Maine.  Reports were contiguous over-lapping in-cloud pulsations, with every third flash detonating church steeples. Winds and 4 hours of back building rain so heavy that it the rain shed measurable in mist. I remember it, but it was also sort of tied into a weak synoptic wave so sorts so was kind of a hybrid.

But in terms of a lazy hot preceding afternoon of 94/70 that fades into a 40 chirp per minute cricket torridity of sweat on the couch evening, then the NW horizon starts flickering as one of those rounds the ridge axis - correcting the temp back to 66/66 mist at dawn and all that.  I haven't seen that in recent memory.

Maybe this will be the year.  I frankly wondered if this heat wave may see an MCS or even Derecho type event, but we really haven't set up the deep layer wind fields favoring that. Usually, you get SW discerned 850 mb inflow jet that moves up and intersect the isohypses gradient from underneath, along the NW-N arc of the heat dome, which is a geostrophically unstable set up ... Then radiative cloud top cooling combines with the inflow jet to maintain the complex.  We are lacking the inflow in the lower trop.   We haven't really attained DPs in this heat wave until ..today really, probably as an indirect evidence of that lack.

Blame Texas.  That stupid 3 day whirl down there is a theta-e gobbler. It's also blocked the Sonoran/SW contribution of 850 special kinetic layer and over top EML plumes, too. 

I could have sworn during the 90’s this was almost an semi annual occurrence at least once a summer for me. Nothing like walking around late at night in my yard to see the northwest horizon light up about five times a minute. 

On 6/7/2021 at 5:55 AM, dendrite said:

That’s a good 5° too high for your area…may wanna get a fan for that sensor or some better shielding. What are you using for a reading? 

Its a cheap ($120 or so) weather station that sits in direct sunlight. Its on my roof though so the heat reflecting off of the shingles might be a factor.

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah makes sense.  No avoiding this one no matter where you are.

Mmm. 

And...not saying that diminishes the significance of it.  I think it is hugely problematic/indictment on climate change, that we keep seeing these weird early season heat expulsions curling around a continental tucking like it's some cosmic scaled Kelvin-Hemholtz wave.   But, those can also fit inside more transitional synoptics at < then hemispheric scope.   If last year was, it may have also included more areas, for one. 

Hypothesis:  But, the fast flows of preceding winters, then relaxes "through" a wave space/forcing scheme, as it pass through that area of the physics, we are seeing lagged blocking -vs- heat oscillations disrupting Spring climate.

This year, we have two aspects going on ( I believe - )

One, the La Nina footprint was being at times -->

Two, ... buried beneath the raging maelstrom of the Climate Change/HC expansion hemispheric gradient saturation, and the overactive velocity soaking of the westerlies that will force, then f'ing up all the telecon correlations, at multiple sourcing/scales of time. 

This heat, albeit early, is actually favored in a La Nina hemisphere.  I posed the data in mid winter, actually.  Going back and pulling some similar antecedent month's of -SST/ENSO likeness from the history; there is coherent bias in frequency, those springs featured above normal heat, sometimes historical.   I really personally believe that this year was in part eclipsed for the La Nino variant by the seasonal lag shit ( # two abv) and as soon as that finally waned out...we started getting ridges and warm.  Recall, we had a ridge that missed a heat wave by 1 F ave but lasted 2 to 3 days ...prior to last week's weird single height contoured nor'easter.  That one was like a 'shot across the bow' perhaps -

10 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I could have sworn during the 90’s this was almost an semi annual occurrence at least once a summer for me. Nothing like walking around late at night in my yard to see the northwest horizon light up about five times a minute. 

I know.  I we miss 'em  :(

My met text group ..we're baffled. We go through this ever year, after year ... where in the f are the nocturnal southern NH strobers? 

• Like 1