Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June, 2021 Discussion

Typhoon Tip

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

There’s a 10° dew point difference between BDL (59) and HFD (69). Pretty interesting for such a short distance. Only a two degree air temp difference.

Funny you say that.  I noticed the same thing looking at some NNE sites.  HIE and BML in N.NH, similar valley bottom sites around 1,000ft elevation.  HIE dew is 48F and BML is 61F.

Dews have been bouncing around a bit, have to imagine some localized mixing can lower them a bit.  But yeah it's interesting when the temperatures are about the same and the dews are jumping around.  You'd expect a temp boost with dry air mixing I believe?

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Outside of a dry line out west, I have to say I didn’t know that kind of thing happened around here.

Well I think part of it is better mixing north of that "boundary". There's more S/SW flow south of it too. So dews crept up a bit this morning over the interior only to mix out. Once the mixing layer drops and winds let up we'll probably see dews spike back up this evening over the interior and we'll have a brutal 70/70 type night.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Well I think part of it is better mixing north of that "boundary". There's more S/SW flow south of it too. So dews crept up a bit this morning over the interior only to mix out. Once the mixing layer drops and winds let up we'll probably see dews spike back up this evening over the interior and we'll have a brutal 70/70 type night.

Can see it on radar. Like you said wrly flow vs SSW flow to the south. Higher temps and lower dews, vs slightly lower temps and higher dews. 

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

And temps while we're at it. "Only" upper 80s where the dews have now climbed to near 70F and low/mid 90s north of the boundary in the drier air. Thermodynamics at work.

image.png

90s all the way up through CAR... hot one region wide. Looks like even Quebec City area is flirting with 90F.

There’s something to be said of this heat and how it contributes to the real long term drought conditions in terms of rivers/lakes/ponds/streams. I live adjacent to a cove that’s overflow from the cocheco river. This cove looks like it’s at risk of turning into a canyon and yet we’re in a mild drought. Neighbor who has been here since 2013 said he’s never seen it this low. I believe him. How many will be losing their river front views?...Subtle and a real medium term risk...

• Weenie 3

5 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

There’s something to be said of this heat and how it contributes to the real long term drought conditions in terms of rivers/lakes/ponds/streams. I live adjacent to a cove that’s overflow from the cocheco river. This cove looks like it’s at risk of turning into a canyon and yet we’re in a mild drought. Neighbor who has been here since 2013 said he’s never seen it this low. I believe him. How many will be losing their river front views?...Subtle and a real medium term risk...

:epstein:

7 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Howdy!!   :stein:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

List of highs from around New England.  Apologies if I missed your spot.

Big heat today.... from BOS to BDL to BTV to CAR.  Noticed big differences in the coastal spots, wind direction means everything.  Mid-90s at PWM, BOS... 93F at BVY.  8 hours of 90F+ on the eastern coast.  CT coastline though had the dews but much lower temperatures... maxing 70s and 80s.  GON stayed pretty chilly though, like 69/63 at 2pm.  Beach weather?  Definitely a north shore type of air mass delivery.

BOS... 96F

BTV... 96F

BDL... 95F

IZG... 95F

MHT... 95F

BAF... 95F

CEF... 95F

CON... 94F

FIT... 94F

LEB... 94F

BED... 94F

PWM... 94F

LEW... 93F

HFD... 93F

BVY... 93F

LWM... 93F

CAR... 92F

IJD... 91F

MVL... 91F

BML... 91F

PVD... 91F

FVE... 91F

LCI... 91F

ALB... 90F

TAN... 90F

PYM... 90F

ORH... 89F

RUT... 89F

DDH... 89F

MPV... 89F

HVN... 86F

BDR... 85F

WST... 76F

GON... 76F

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Today would not have been too bad, high was 88 for a brief period.

It's tonight that would be unbearable without AC in Randolph. Still 77 at nearly 9:30 PM there...

Can't cool the house with that kind of air around.

Is this your spot?

Untitled.jpg.c54c285c9c65f1f18a888bbd9caf63d0.jpg