Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June, 2021 Discussion

Typhoon Tip

47 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

My father was living in Kalamazoo Michigan in that era - southern tier of the state.

It wasn't just Chicago - population density will tend to win that debate.   But Indianapolis back to Springfield IL, up through Minn/Wisc and all over Ohio and the rest of Michigan took that one unrelenting for 5 days.

He's extolled to me in the past, he did not see a bank thermometer ( remember they used to have those lol ) less than 107 F during three days of that, and no night fell below 84 F.  He said it was routinely mid 90s by 10 am. 

I mean we have this sort of index finger rule around here, '90 by 9' if you wanna make a hundo.  'Nother one is '10 after 10' Both seem to work reasonably well for unadulterated heating.

Imagine clearing these in principle by 7:55 in the morning.  I've seen this before. It's almost like the atmosphere is so sensitively ready to take off that the temp starts rising with the daylight that precedes sun rays tipping over the dawn.  You can actually see it, 6:12 am and the temp is up 2, etc

It almost seemed that could not get hotter?  It was as though it was parametrically situated to be hotter, but the sun and latitude simply couldn't find the radiative power to get the temp up any higher.  Maybe.  But bank thermometers - heh.  Either way it was probably a buck-3, three days running anyway and probably more -

The coup de gras?  Dp was 76!

Some special dew points during that event.  

Numerous stations in Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois and elsewhere reported record dew point temperatures above 80 °F (27 °C) with a peak at 90 °F (32 °C) with an air temperature of 104 °F (40 °C) making for a 148 °F (64 °C) heat index reported from at least one station in Wisconsin (Appleton)[5] at 5:00 pm local time on the afternoon of 14 July 1995, a probable record for the Western Hemisphere; this added to the heat to cause heat indices above 130 °F (54 °C) in Iowa and southern Wisconsin on several days of the heat wave as the sun bore down from a cloudless sky and evaporated even more water seven days in a row.

Dewpoint records are not as widely kept as those of temperature, however, the dew points during the heat wave were at or near national and continental records.

I remember that event...was huge national news headlines. That was some summer too for severe weather from the northern Plains through the upper-Midwest, Ohio Valley, and Northeast. Obviously we had the derecho on 7/15/95 but we had the Great Barrington F4 on 5/29 and there were other events too. That 7/15/95 derecho may be one of the more impressive ever in terms of longevity...think that originated from like MT/ND or southern Canada. In fact 1995 was a wild year for weather...the winter was nuts

This stupid jet stream and stupid pattern upcoming is pissing me off. It's just going to be a boring zonal garbage flow with pieces of heat breaking off from the Southwest and floating our way...WHY CAN"T they bring EMLs with them....ummmm because there is no stupid trough moving through the West to displace this EML air east. Just these stupid lifting troughs in the Northwest...ok so EMLs may get pushed into Canada...you would think maybe they would ride the jet and come at us...NOPE. We aren't getting crap for severe in that pattern...big freaking deal maybe some MCS activity with NW flow...flow is garbage everything is garbage. Our big events that happen with NW flow...it's not just b/c of the NW flow its when they occur with a steep lapse rates regime. with this flow you typically get height falls and if you have a southerly flow at the sfc...well warm/moist low-levels and the NW mid/upper levels...dry and cool. then the EML prevents the dry/cool mixing down and mucking up CAPE...CAPE eater I like to call it...or CAPE destroyer. Boring...boring...stupid. 

• Weenie 4

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Sounds like COVID

Sadly that is the first thing I thought of when I read that....The mind set of some people that think Covid killed old people that were going to die anyway is just horrible. My grandmother is 84, multiple comorbidities, lost her husband a few years back and lives by herself. She stayed safe and got the vaccine so she could see her kids, grandkids, and great grandkids. She wasn't/isn't ready to go. But most likely would have perished if she contracted covid...sorry for the rant, should be in the banter thread. Carry on....

Where are the storms down here!?!? Sun is out, 80/66 atm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I remember that event...was huge national news headlines. That was some summer too for severe weather from the northern Plains through the upper-Midwest, Ohio Valley, and Northeast. Obviously we had the derecho on 7/15/95 but we had the Great Barrington F4 on 5/29 and there were other events too. That 7/15/95 derecho may be one of the more impressive ever in terms of longevity...think that originated from like MT/ND or southern Canada. In fact 1995 was a wild year for weather...the winter was nuts

It came through this region of Mass around 7:30 am ... The wind awoke me.  We never saw a drop of rain because the system was dying ...it came through eastern NE as a wind pulse ...some spritz drops and lot of dust and dramatic arcus debris structures in the sky.  But, I saw a rope funnel extending almost all the way to the ground whisking by over the distant hills.  'Gustnado' classic.  Pretty cool. 

That day was supposed to be close to 100, but we stopped at 92 ...no doubt because the thing processes the shit out of the atmosphere. 

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It came through this region of Mass around 7:30 am ... The wind awoke me.  We never saw a drop of rain because the system was dying ...it came through eastern NE as a wind pulse ...some drops and lot of dust and dramatic arcus debris structures in the sky.  But, I saw a rope funnel extending almost all the way to the ground whisking by over the distant hills.  Pretty cool.  That day was supposed to be close to 100, but we stopped at 92 ...no doubt because the thing processes the shit out of the atmosphere. 

Is it true the storm tops exceeded 60K across NY?

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

That cell has a TBSS. That has to have SVR hail.

38 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Gonna be some flooding in the Marlborough CT area

I ended up chasing it. Too late to see the severe hail but it was a good storm with flooding and hail. Will post more later.

• Like 1