Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June, 2021 Discussion

Typhoon Tip

22 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Portable units are awesome. If you have the space for it as they are a bit bulky standing in front of a window.

12 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I agree, the portable units are awesome.  They work well and they are easy to move from room to room.

I've always felt they are too noisy, especially in my 10'x10' office.  

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Hmm, may have to give that a try. 

Another option is to get a casement window AC Though you would probably have to take the window off and block the area above the unit.  Your best bet would probably be installing mini-splits

• Like 1

Brian or whomever knows,   does the National Blend machine guidance also normalize/weight toward climatology out in time? I was poking around in NCEP's docs to find the tech but lost patience -

I'm just curious because KFIT from the latest guidance is almost 19 over climate on days 6 and 7 !  

TXN    57| 73  64| 80  61| 86  67| 92  68| 94  69| 94  67| 90  67  52 75

That's a helluva signal if they are pulling them down by climo and they're still towering like that.    

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Who will hit 100/75?!!

That's very difficult at 42.X latitude without assists.  

We can do it, but it's got to be perfect - perfection is an assist in that sense ha.   But yeah, +22C at 850 mb, with down sloping and zero cirrus plumes timed ( like usual.) to steal 1.3% to keep in 98/75.  That happened like twice in my life.  1975, and 2012

The reason why it is easier to do that out say, over the panhandle of Nebraska, is because the air is lighter for one. Adding that most locations that do that 100/75 are that crucially south and have 2 or even 4% more intense solar.  Whatever the real percentage is, 1% from the sun is like a tsunamis of irradient power incoming, so a morning sounding 900 mb ( their surface equiv) of 24C over a corn field is a different set of initial conditions we don't find around here. 

But who needs 75 on the bottom.  If it's 63 dp you can take the 96 to 102 and I dunno - at that far into the deep end of the heat it's hot under and over so it become irrelevant. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That's very difficult at 42.X latitude without assists.  

We can do it, but it's got to be perfect - perfection is an assist in that sense ha.   But yeah, +22C at 850 mb, with down sloping and zero cirrus plumes timed ( like usual.) to steal 1.3% to keep in 98/75.  That happened like twice in my life.  1975, and 2012

The reason why it is easier to do that out say, over the panhandle of Nebraska, is because the air is lighter for one. Adding that most locations that do that 100/75 are that crucially south and have 2 or even 4% more intense solar.  Whatever the real percentage is, 1% from the sun is like a tsunamis of irradient power incoming, so a morning sounding 900 mb ( their surface equiv) of 24C over a corn field is a different set of initial conditions we don't find around here. 

But who needs 75 on the bottom.  If it's 63 dp you can take the 96 to 102 and I dunno - at that far into the deep end of the heat it's hot under and over so it become irrelevant. 

At some point over the next 10-14 days both numbers will be hit at least once . Maybe not simultaneously, but places will hit a Hundy and places will hit dews of 75+ In SNE.

• Weenie 3

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

At some point over the next 10-14 days both numbers will be hit at least once . Maybe not simultaneously, but places will hit a Hundy and places will hit dews of 75+ In SNE.

00z Euro has a Sonoran heat release, with kinetically charged 850 mb layer under an EML, all that, clearly charted and tracked back to origin.   But the parcels are 20, maybe 20.5 C from the looks of it, and that may be 96 cap temp as most likely -

but that's 00z for D5-7.  I have noted in the past,  the models tend to add ticks to the 850 in warm conveyors as outer mid ranges get nearer in time.

This still looks to favor BTV- coastal NH as the heat axis, too.  But we can make up for that with being 2 deg latitude more sun.  When dealing with the upper edge, otherwise irrelevancies become more meaningful delimiters.

Euro getting more aggressive with speeding up the polar jet, also, turning it more SE through the Canadia Maritimes mid week.

It could be doing the amplitude aspect/bias it applies in that range however - we'll see if that has legs.  It appears the model is outright locking an ambient suppression southwest of roughly BUF-NYC (~) by Wednesday, and won't let it return the rest of the way because of its setting up that ablating flow structure it retros/forces back SW. I'm not a big fan of terminating planetary wave events from the NE though -

Looks like Sunday, Monday and Tuesday... 91, 93, 96 ... then 88 HFD to 74 LWM Wednesday on this run.  Not sure I buy it just yet though. What would be more likely based on experience, is a BD interludes for a day ... then rolls out.

5 hours ago, mreaves said:

Portable ac's are one of the most inefficient ways to cool a space. The high volume exhaust going out the window puts your house in negative pressure and pulls warm humid air in from every crack in your house. To those using one make sure the window is as airtight as possible. A better option is to drill a 6 inch hole in the wall somewhere and use a dryer vent to the outside. 

Mentally preparing for the heat coming up.  I think we hit 90F at least twice in the NNE valley ASOS spots.

For now enjoying a COC evening.  The only problem is the black flies after the cold weekend have been programmed to super aggressive attack mode.  Flesh eaters.

6A28F21E-BEA3-4133-90AA-291BD35BABE0.thumb.jpeg.9f38f244c550b7083135b4147b94d623.jpeg

912A2BA0-7F12-4507-872D-5982019FB1D8.thumb.jpeg.8f1e44ae3e9e138b14636994d77593e1.jpeg

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Portable ac's are one of the most inefficient ways to cool a space. The high volume exhaust going out the window puts your house in negative pressure and pulls warm humid air in from every crack in your house. To those using one make sure the window is as airtight as possible. A better option is to drill a 6 inch hole in the wall somewhere and use a dryer vent to the outside. 

You keep saying that but my experience with them its not true. Key is proper circulation with the use of ceiling fans. My usage numbers year to year with window units and the new floor models were similar. I actually thought the floor models were better at controlling space temperature. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Yup. They do not cool at all. You’re just blowing recycled hot air. They act like a dehumidifier. They are cheap and a waste. Why not invest in actual AC units with BTU’s that cool? To each their own I suppose . There’s a reason why they aren’t sold in most places 

• Confused 2

37 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Is that the last patch of snow left on the mountain?  

No there’s a few scattered about.  The terrain park jumps will be all thats left aim next couple days.

BTV going hot:

“Otherwise a largely dry and increasingly warm/hot forecast will be maintained with this package with highs on Sunday in the upper 80s to lower 90s, then upper 80s to mid 90s early next week.“

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Mentally preparing for the heat coming up.  I think we hit 90F at least twice in the NNE valley ASOS spots.

For now enjoying a COC evening.  The only problem is the black flies after the cold weekend have been programmed to super aggressive attack mode.  Flesh eaters.

6A28F21E-BEA3-4133-90AA-291BD35BABE0.thumb.jpeg.9f38f244c550b7083135b4147b94d623.jpeg

912A2BA0-7F12-4507-872D-5982019FB1D8.thumb.jpeg.8f1e44ae3e9e138b14636994d77593e1.jpeg

Looks like puppers is getting prepped for the heat too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Last night at the golf course we hit the trifecta, black flies, deer flies and mosquitoes. Luckily flying ants have yet to make an appearance. 

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yup. They do not cool at all. You’re just blowing recycled hot air. They act like a dehumidifier. They are cheap and a waste. Why not invest in actual AC units with BTU’s that cool? To each their own I suppose . There’s a reason why they aren’t sold in most places 

If you really believed that you’d install mini-splits. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Last night at the golf course we hit the trifecta, black flies, deer flies and mosquitoes. Luckily flying ants have yet to make an appearance. 

The next thing the scientists need to work on is genetically modifying those three amigos to become mortal enemies and exclusively feed on each other.

You keep saying that but my experience with them its not true. Key is proper circulation with the use of ceiling fans. My usage numbers year to year with window units and the new floor models were similar. I actually thought the floor models were better at controlling space temperature. 

Works great in the kids bedrooms.