Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2021

Stormlover74

11 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Any data on how the area ocean temps are relative to normal? I fear this early heat will warm ocean temps so the sea breeze won’t cool us off much come august. As it is these seabreeze fronts haven’t knocked the temp down more than a degree or two away from the coast 

Nearby buoys are all right around 70 degrees as per the OBS.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Any data on how the area ocean temps are relative to normal? I fear this early heat will warm ocean temps so the sea breeze won’t cool us off much come august. As it is these seabreeze fronts haven’t knocked the temp down more than a degree or two away from the coast 

Generally once water temps reach normal seasonal maxes the most difference you’ll see from places like Newark or LaGuardia to the south shores is about 6-7 degrees.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Water temps are above average but not overly so, the worst departures are east of New England last I saw. The southerly winds however will definitely warm up the waters quicker. It’s counterintuitive but onshore flow days that cool the coast down actually warms the water faster than offshore flow days that cause upwelling. In the next couple decades it may be normal to start seeing 80F dewpoints here. 

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Water temps are above average but not overly so, the worst departures are east of New England last I saw. The southerly winds however will definitely warm up the waters quicker. It’s counterintuitive but onshore flow days that cool the coast down actually warms the water faster than offshore flow days that cause upwelling. In the next couple decades it may be normal to start seeing 80F dewpoints here. 

at least the water temps have already hit 70 at Long Beach.  Thats when summer truly begins!

15 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Funny, I was just looking at this. The Buoy outside the harbor entrance is ~65. Lower than the ~67 yesterday.  The buoy 30 miles south Islip is ~71. It looks like there is some nearshore upwelling you can see on the satellite images. I am assuming that is from waves/chop along the beaches. 15 years ago I would say 70 is warm for late June. Now I feel like its expected.  

1972728054_Screenshot2021-06-30134032.thumb.png.f765d86d32de3ed27343752c4aa1594b.png 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bluewave said:

The new NYC micronet is proving to be a valuable resource. We continue to see other stations in Queens with warmer high temperatures than LGA. The lows all stayed at 80° or above. 

LGA…………….…….98…81

Astoria………….….99…81

Corona……………..100..80

Queensbridge…..99…80

but how is this equipment sited?

7 hours ago, bluewave said:

We tied two June monthly all-time heat records yesterday. The 102° at Newark was the June record high temperature. The 77° low at White Plains was the warmest low for June.

Time Series Summary for NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP, NJ - Month of Jun
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Highest Max Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2021 102 1
- 2011 102 0
- 1994 102 0
- 1993 102 0
- 1952 102 0
- 1943 102 0

Time Series Summary for WESTCHESTER CO AP, NY - Month of Jun
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Highest Min Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2021 77 1
- 1991 77 2
3 1984 75 0
- 1975 75 0
- 1952 75 0

interesting mix of years on that list.....are you seeing 2011 or 1993 kind of heat coming in July?

3 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

Funny, I was just looking at this. The Buoy outside the harbor entrance is ~65. Lower than the ~67 yesterday.  The buoy 30 miles south Islip is ~71. It looks like there is some nearshore upwelling you can see on the satellite images. I am assuming that is from waves/chop along the beaches. 15 years ago I would say 70 is warm for late June. Now I feel like its expected.  

1972728054_Screenshot2021-06-30134032.thumb.png.f765d86d32de3ed27343752c4aa1594b.png 

70 degrees here too, it was recorded just south of Long Beach

34 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

but how is this equipment sited?

Those ground level stations are located in the local neighborhoods. The Corona Queens station has a high today so far of 101°. It’s avoiding the breeze of the water that is currently keeping LGA cooler.

• Thanks 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic