• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
RIP James

dendrite

This is very sad news.  I always enjoyed his posts.  His optimism for snow on the Cape was constant.  I think many of us who live near the coast in SENE can appreciate James' prognostications considering how often we get screwed, even if many of them didn't come to pass.  May he rest in peace.

• Like 4

This is heartbreaking news to say the least. Like many others have said, his postings were always fun to read and you could just sense his passion for big weather events. In a forum with all sorts of personalities, James' optimism was like a shining beacon of hope that could never be extinguished. You will be missed very much man, take care up there

Damn this is really sad news. I always rooted for James to get what his snow goggles saw. He’d often respond when I bumped his posts because he knew I live in a bad place for snow.  Id like to think he’s in a place that gets blizzards of our dreams every day. He will really be missed.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

My man. Loving weather of all kinds, James was a shy guy who really lit up when we discussed old storms before he was born. Pictured here at a GTG in red James was always texting and DMing me about weather year round. His enthusiasm will be missed.  RIP brother and may your heaven be filled with Cat 5s

20151221_190934-1.jpg

I remember that gtg when we met...maybe 5 years ago?

RIP

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

It was CCPSUSuperstorm2010...here’s the first thread I remember him in (the Dec 20-21, 2010 retro storm). You are right that he had another handle at some point that had AFweather in it.

Kind if a bummer reading through it though. Some other posters who passed are in it (messenger and Nzucker). I guess that is bound to happen when we’ve been around over a decade.

They all passed away way too soon, Will.  

14 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Anyone remember his original name on here? It was something like CCUSAFWeather or something.  I remember when he first entered the Air Force. 

Yeah it was something like that....I know he still had that name when I joined the board.  So sad.....I know every time I'd hit up the bait shop in Harwich I'd be like....huh...that kid on the board that loves ocean effect snow lives out here...must be pretty neat.  :(.  RIP. 

Ahh man, that sucks! I always got a chuckle out of his posts, especially the ones where he'd say something like "this storm's really going to deepen as it passes the Cape. I could see 6" on the back side". He was probably top 3 weenies in the NE forum. I felt so bad for him. Besides Nantucket, he was probably in the absolute worst place for snow in all of New England. 

Going to miss his weenie posts, but glad he was able to get his book published. 31 is too soon. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Ahh man, that sucks! I always got a chuckle out of his posts, especially the ones where he'd say something like "this storm's really going to deepen as it passes the Cape. I could see 6" on the back side". He was probably top 3 weenies in the NE forum. I felt so bad for him. Besides Nantucket, he was probably in the absolute worst place for snow in all of New England. 

Going to miss his weenie posts, but glad he was able to get his book published. 31 is too soon. 

That title prob goes to far SE CT on the shore like where GON is. ACK actually does better than them...and the Cape a lot better.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That title prob goes to far SE CT on the shore like where GON is. ACK actually does better than them...and the Cape a lot better.

The annual 4-8" of OES spread out over the Winter helps. I'm not sure on those figures..but if I had to guess it would be something in that range, on average. 

And throw in a cape grazer or two. 

40 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes.. for whatever reason SE CT .. particularly GON area is hands down the worst . I’ve never been able to pinpoint exactly why, but it’s just awful . Any SE or E wind and it’s rain there. I guess far SW RI as well

2 hours ago, MarkO said:

He was probably top 3 weenies in the NE forum. I

I hope someone from this forum will write something up for James in the funeral home "tribute wall". I think his family would be comforted by knowing the outpouring of sentiment and positive remembrances of his character that have occured in this community. The person that was James had many fans its quite obvious. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dmillz25 said:

Why is that? Is it because the cape sticks out more into the ocean?

Yes and they have a bit of latitude on SE CT...so they'll sometimes grab a few inches on a SWFE before they flip where SE CT might not. But they get some OES and they also get some pretty large storms that whiff everyone else (longitude)....so it can be somewhat boom or bust on the Cape but if you average it out over the course of decades, they end up like 6-8" more per year than a place like GON.

1 hour ago, SouthCoastMA said:

The annual 4-8" of OES spread out over the Winter helps. I'm not sure on those figures..but if I had to guess it would be something in that range, on average. 

And throw in a cape grazer or two. 

Yep, see above post....the Cape can get in some brutal snowless streaks in any given winter, but they have some big upside on the longitude storms. Throw in a little OES from time to time and they average out better than much of the south coast. You really need to get back to near HVN before you get as much snow as the Cape on the south coast....then it decreases again back toward BDR. There's kind of a south coast maxima near HVN.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep, see above post....the Cape can get in some brutal snowless streaks in any given winter, but they have some big upside on the longitude storms. Throw in a little OES from time to time and they average out better than much of the south coast. You really need to get back to near HVN before you get as much snow as the Cape on the south coast....then it decreases again back toward BDR. There's kind of a south coast maxima near HVN.

I distinctly recall some painful forecast busts back in those mid 1980s ... 3rd even 4th period blizzard watches with ticker scrolling - remember when that was a thing lol ... - over how early indications are this would rival 1978 this and that and other cryo apocalypse..

Dim orb sun and flurries -

Oh but the Cape!  ... I mean, that's got to be absolutely greatest positive busts, them two that did that, in the history of positive busts - ?  just be shear magnitude.  mean Dec 23 1997 comes close, but ...that one didn't have a lightning an hurricane force routine transport gusts... It was attempting to ablate the Cape off the planet by sustain 55 mph gusts to 70 mph ...wrapping power lines around trees...  in a talcum powder down to innerspace visibility....   Oh man...sitting in class the day we were supposed to enter 6 days of  National Guard and shelters ....  OH ...it was always "Drag" on as the forecaster on those tickers too - hahahah.... 

I was scrolling through some of his sister's posts, looks like he had a bad case of Covid. Sounds like his Mom has it too and she is in the hospital on a ventilator. James and his Mom shared the same room when he passed. James Mom doesn't know that James was even sick. It's all just heart breaking. I had some great chats with him on here and will always think fondly of him whenever there is a snow event that gets the outer cape. I hope it's belly to belly big winters where ever you are James. Thank you for everything here and please say hello to Nate if you see him as I am sure he is also in a place where deep winter reigns supreme

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 21

Just want to add my condolences,  his posts were always a highlight when I lived in Boston,  it didn't matter if it was a chance for something tropical or snow he was always optimistic to the bitter end and extremely enthusiastic for everyone even if he was stuck in the pouring rain while everyone else was getting buried. 

RIP James

• Like 3

3 hours ago, codfishsnowman said:

I was scrolling through some of his sister's posts, looks like he had a bad case of Covid. Sounds like his Mom has it too and she is in the hospital on a ventilator. James and his Mom shared the same room when he passed. James Mom doesn't know that James was even sick. It's all just heart breaking. I had some great chats with him on here and will always think fondly of him whenever there is a snow event that gets the outer cape. I hope it's belly to belly big winters where ever you are James. Thank you for everything here and please say hello to Nate if you see him as I am sure he is also in a place where deep winter reigns supreme

Christ. That’s terrible to hear.