• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Severe Weather May 26th- 28th 2021

Pretty much all other CAMs show convective initiation though... We've seen multiple times where the HRRR backs off on initiating during the late morning on the day of only to just be wrong and in disagreement with the other models. Of course, storms aren't guaranteed either, but I'm just saying that this kind of situation is not too unusual for the HRRR.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TexMexWx said:

Pretty much all other CAMs show convective initiation though... We've seen multiple times where the HRRR backs off on initiating during the late morning on the day of only to just be wrong and in disagreement with the other models. Of course, storms aren't guaranteed either, but I'm just saying that this kind of situation is not too unusual for the HRRR.

And the run coming out now (16Z) has quite a few cells across KS later. 

36 minutes ago, TexMexWx said:

Even several HRRR ensemble members show earlier CI

Hard to imagine there won't be at least widely scattered development down the dryline in western KS by early evening, given how weak the cap is. 

The storm currently west of Hays looks like it is near the effective warm front and probably becoming surface based. Low-level flow is still weak, but it might have a chance to do something given the large CAPE and its location near the boundary.  

4 minutes ago, MUWX said:

DDC says that it is still well north or the boundary 

It may have started north of the boundary, but based on surface obs, satellite, and its southeastward motion, it is very near the boundary now or is about to be. The boundary is pretty diffuse anyway, so it isn't easy to pinpoint a location and call that the boundary. I doubt the cell would be propagating southeastward like it is if it wasn't surface based. 

8 minutes ago, TheSuckZone said:

Someone who is a little smarter than me may be able to answer this. SPC mentioned in an earlier outlook about afternoon convection overturning the atmosphere that might lower the severe threat a bit later on. Is that valid for where the storms are occurring now or is there still plenty of time for the atmosphere to recharge?

Most of the moderate risk area is probably not going to be affected by the ongoing storms. Areas immediately to the north and east of the ongoing complex might have the threat reduced due to disrupted storm inflow, though. 

• Thanks 1

Hanging back near Scott City. Watching dozens of chasers flood north, but I’m hanging back in case we get CI in southwestern Kansas soon. Looks like a tornado is also ongoing at the moment in far southwestern Nebraska.