Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

4 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Probably COVID nose.  It messes up your sense of smell.

I hope not.  I was vaccinated in May.  It seems like the low 70s dewpoints combined with wet ground and breezy conditions is doing it.  The flowers are intense, but I also catch a whiff of swampy smell.

Just now, frostfern said:

I hope not.  I was vaccinated in May.  It seems like the low 70s dewpoints combined with wet ground breezy conditions is doing it.  The flowers are intense, but I also catch a whiff of swampy smell.

he's an idiot, it's humid 

https://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/human-nature/perception/smell1.htm

• Like 3

3 hours ago, madwx said:

also going to be the 4th warmest June here at MSN.  Only 1933, 1934 and 1873 were warmer.

I'm really surprised 2012 wasn't warmer. Guess the heat didn't really build in until late in the month into July. I remember the 4th weekend was brutal, was living in Milwaukee at the time and had a gig running camera for the Racine cable access station's coverage of their parade. Soaked my shirt through and that was with some modulation from the lake.

It started off really cloudy and was dark for the majority of the day til nearly 6pm. At noon-hour my solar radiation in lux was a joke at 13K :fulltilt:. That's the darkest day of the month by far since it was low for so long.

For my fav month this June was pretty good overall, a few turds mixed in as usual but the heat in the first half was great and then some more recently. I got some good storms finally (just 1 good one) and pretty much got everything. 

11 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

I'm really surprised 2012 wasn't warmer. Guess the heat didn't really build in until late in the month into July. I remember the 4th weekend was brutal, was living in Milwaukee at the time and had a gig running camera for the Racine cable access station's coverage of their parade. Soaked my shirt through and that was with some modulation from the lake.

2012 was 11th warmest.   Only a degree cooler than this month

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nwohweather said:

I'd be curious to see what the records would be if we based it on average highs instead of average temperature. Would there be a difference? 

For Duluth, average June high temp was 78.6, which is the warmest average June high temp on record.  Old record was 77.2 in 1910.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 5:04 PM, Hoosier said:

This will finish as the 4th warmest June on record for Chicago, and the warmest June since 1971.

Top 10 list...

1. 76.2° - 1933
2. 75.8° - 1971
3. 75.7° - 1954
4. 74.3° - 2021
4. 74.3° - 1952
6. 74.2° - 2005
7. 74.0° - 2020
7. 74.0° - 2012
7. 74.0° - 1949
10. 73.9° - 1956

Here's a look at June broken down in half for extremes and then the monthly. 2021 ended up being in the top 10 for many stations from the eastern Dakotas into Michigan. Definitely a warm one. These stations have 100+ years of really decent data. Unfortunately I-Falls has hardly any prior to 1948.

NC US June 1 to 15 max temps.png

NC US June 1 to 15 high min temps.png

NC US June 16 to 30 max temps.png

NC US June 16 to 30 high min temps.png

NC US June high avg mthly temps.png

16 hours ago, Hoosier said:

For Duluth, average June high temp was 78.6, which is the warmest average June high temp on record.  Old record was 77.2 in 1910.

Interesting to see that as well as Brian's post. Here we've had 15 90° days this season which is two less than last year to this point. 

A good example of how interesting the weather can get

In 148 years of record at Detroit 

June tied (w/ 1943) for 6th warmest June on record. However with a max temp of only 90....81 June's have had a hotter max temp and another 21 also had a max of exactly 90.

So only 5 of 147 other June's had a hotter average temp, but only 45 of 147 other June's had a colder maximum temp for the month.  So clearly it was the warm minimums that dominated this month as the most impressive feature. Despite that the 45゚on June 21st missed the low by one mere degree.