• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

Skip hop away from St Louis and blargh out here...

Currently 97 degrees (feels like hell at it feels like 102) 68%  dew point / 39% humidity Winds 11 mph out of the SSW

Under HEAT ADVISORY as the index can get to 106 (:wacko:) AND Under thunderstorm probability for the next 3 hours (clouds are looking "meh" on that topic - but I dried my clothes outside and that generally entices the rain gods!)

Rain chances 60% Monday Thunderstorms (OH YES PLEASE!)

front/lake breeze/outflow combo coming together across chicago the next couple hours. latest hrrr and 3k NAM are a little more excited for a few thunderstorms this afternoon. those showers up north already have tops over 30k'. probably would be gusty given the steep low-level lapse rates and dcape in place.

1873823659_ScreenShot2021-06-19at3_24_47PM.thumb.png.ec2302772404df4e4f15dd5af20f417f.png28604036_ScreenShot2021-06-19at3_24_02PM.thumb.png.653b2927cb8068c1656c7c8c7777da76.png853781156_ScreenShot2021-06-19at3_23_06PM.thumb.png.f81d0413a96a7f941d3bb38d300922b2.png

• Like 1

It was an excellent summer solstice (technically 11:32 pm EDT tonight) with a 30C high and variable skies to get a little of everything except rain. My low was abnormally cold for this date at 11C!!

I see Tues is going to be utter crap in the temps department, a prank from TWN and DarkSky? 14C? gtfo with that stink.

If the final 10 days of June just go average at ORD, the month would finish as the 4th warmest June on record.  There are some below average days coming up, but this should be offset to an extent by some warmer than average days mixed in.  A top 5 warmest finish looks to be achievable.

Currently getting split by two developing lines of storms, can hear the thunder from the one just southeast.  If the one out by CR falls apart before getting here we really could get zero rain today which would really be lol worthy.  That being said I went out and watered everything a bit ago with the thunder in the distance.

31 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

00z Euro shows very nice widespread rains Thu-Sun for most of the sub, with some areas receiving more than 3".  Only at 0.90" for the month here so I'm hoping for at least 2-3" out of this.

Models are also showing some locations in our area getting good rain later Tuesday.  That rain may be included in the 3" you mentioned, though.

.DISCUSSION...(This evening through next Monday)
Issued at 330 PM EDT Mon Jun 21 2021

- Colder with patchy frost tonight

While we do not expect a widespread frost or freeze tonight it
seems likely there will be patchy frost over our northern few rows
of counties, inland of Lake Michigan. The center of the surface
high stays well south of Michigan the core of the polar jet is
south of Michigan tonight, those to features would suggest some
mixing will still happen tonight prevent temperatures from falling
as much as they would have otherwise done. On the other hand there
is enough dry air moving in from the Canadian Shield to clear the
sky. That will help decouple the boundary layer to allow colder
temperatures. Currently dew points are well above freezing,
however dew points upstream of our CWA are in the 30s. So I am
thinking we will see lows in the mid to upper 30s over our
northern sections. Low areas would then have the risk of frost.
Leota will likely get below freezing tonight.

LOL.  Yes... really.  Need to start a thread for June frost accumulations.  

2 hours ago, Brian D said:

Picked up an 1" of rain yesterday. Today it's chilly with a temp in the upper 50's right now, with "popcorn" showers. Have a Fall looking sky on the first full day of astro Summer.

Maybe some graupel showers with thunder to the north tomorrow.  October climo in June.

There was a deadly tornado in Mascouche Quebec that was unwarned by Environment Canada, photogenic tornado footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unep5XFpU18

If you like colourful language and wild tube the 2nd video delivers that in spades during the first parts. Crazy that there was 1 death with this 4pm tornado but none for Sunday's midnight strong tornado in Woodridge IL.

• Like 1